Monitoring software

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rafe

Monitoring software

Post by Rafe » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:17 pm

Hello again fellow "Hoseheads"!

I’m trying to decide between the Respironics M Auto C-Flex and the REMstar Auto C-Flex machines for my primary at home setup. I’ll be paying for this myself. At the moment, I think I’m attracted to the monitoring capability more than the Auto-titration function and will probably run it primarily in CPAP with C-Flex mode, with an occasional night in Auto just to check whether my needs have changed. I don’t have a problem tolerating my pressure (12 cm H20). I plan to use the DME provided Pro M series for travel (I do a lot of business travel and as a backup. So, I’ve got some questions.

1. Considering that the price differential between the REMstar Auto and M series Auto full packages is less than $100, which is the better machine?
2. What is the difference between a M series Plus and a M series Pro? Looking at product comparisons and the Respironics website doesn’t indicate any differences except price. (Even thought these aren’t AutoPAP machines, I’m curious.)
3. The DME did not enable the FOSQ capability on my Pro M with C-Flex. Can I enable it? I assume I have to in order to use the Smartcard and Encore software.
4. If I buy a Respironics AutoPAP with Encore software bundle from cpap.com, can I use the SW on my Pro M if I get the FOSQ enabled, or do I have to buy another SW bundle?
5. Does the Encore SW with USB reader bundle from cpap.com @ $185 come with a Smartcard? It’s not clear from the description of the bundle.

Thank you in advance for any answers and comments.

Rafe

Titration result: 12 cm H20; AHI-0.4; lowest SaO2=95%

Handgunner45

Post by Handgunner45 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:45 pm

Can't help you an the Autos. I dont have either one.

On the difference between the pro and the plus. The plus will only record compliance date while the pro will record sleep data very similiar to an auto.

FOSQ has nothing to do with data recorded. It is a questionaire that the provider can have you do and record so that they get an idea of the effectiveness of your treatment.

The Encore Pro v1.6i software will read any card from the RemStar series weather old style or the m-series.

"Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." --Red Green

http://www.keepsakeacres.com

Rafe

Handgunner45

Post by Rafe » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:16 pm

The Encore Pro v1.6i software will read any card from the RemStar series weather old style or the m-series.
Are you saying that all I have to do is stick a Smartcard into the back of my Pro M machine, and it will automatically record data that I can read and view with the Encore software?

Handgunner45

Post by Handgunner45 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:22 pm

Yep, thats all there is to it. You may have to set up the card with Encore Pro first, but mine started recording from the very beginning when I got it. There is nothing to enabe or disable as far as the recording is concerned.

Handgunner45

Post by Handgunner45 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:30 pm

As a clarification.......FOSQ is - Functional Outcomes of Sleep Questionaire

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:48 pm

I wish I could remember now WHERE I read a post regarding the entire Respironics M series. It was written by a gentleman who manages or is an employee at a "full service" sleep lab meaning they also provide the various equipment. He felt the M series is turning out to be a step down from the Plus. If I remember correctly a part of the problem was that in reducing the machine size it has also reduced the machine's "power" or "efficiency", etc.

Then there was another post from a DME supplier regarding discussion w/the Respironics Rep regarding some things the supplier had run into w/the M series and he listed the problems and the Rep's response. Both had good things to say about the Plus tho so it wasn't that they had a bias against Respironics equipment and a preference for another brand.

I've been taking part in three different apnea/PAP forums so I apologize for not being able to direct you to the URL for each discussion.

I had originally wanted a RemStar M w/C-Flex but the DME provided me w/a Plus w/o the data card features so I returned it and got talked into a Resmed S8 Elite instead (by my local sleep lab, not my DME). I was very pleased w/the Plus except for the lack of data card feature. I'm okay w/the Elite, it does what I want it to and I can access the Efficiency Data which is all I was really interested in but I'm not happy w/the heated humidifier, a Humidaire 3i (the only choice for this machine). I feel it is defective or the connection bewteen the Elite and Humidaire 3i is defective. But, of course, the Humidaire 3i wouldn't act up when I took it back to the DME. Its problem is inconsistent so that didn't come as any surprise to me. My DME did say if the problem persists they would replace the Humidaire and/or the Elite if necessary.

I've also read of some problems w/the Encore Pro software but in the same forum they've provided info on "fixes" for those problems.

Another "problem" I have w/any of the Resmed products tho they are reportedly excellent machines is Resmed's recent policy of not allowing online sales of their machines or software. I resent that policy!!! And quite frankly I"m searching for a "pirated" copy of the software from somewhere.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:12 pm

As far as the APAPs go I think Snoredog has used both models. Maybe he/she/it will chime in? I think if the unit is just going to sit on your nightstand, then humidifier filling is the only real issue. I understand they are different. The older RemStar are very easy to fill. There is two ways to fill them: You can remove the tank, fill it, and then re-install it, or simply use the little funnel (included with later models) and fill it on the nightstand.

I have put about a 1000 hours on a RemStar Pro (not 2), and about 1100 hours on a RemStar Auto/C-Flex. I would say that the ability to record detailed data for the Encore Pro software is the best feature of the auto.

I prefer the Auto over the Pro 2 because I don't swallow as much air with in the Auto + C-Flex mode.

There has been a lot of talk about the noise level, and or pitch, difference between the "M" and the older (2004 introduction) machine. The only thing I can say about that is, the sound insulation block of foam in the older auto is about the same size (3" x 8.75" x 6.75") as the entire "M".

People have more fun than anybody..

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:26 pm

If I remember correctly a part of the problem was that in reducing the machine size it has also reduced the machine's "power" or "efficiency", etc.
The RemStar Auto's blower impeller only has a diameter of 3 inches, and the blower case is 4" x 2". Therefore, I would assume they did not reinvent the wheel, and used the same blower. Anyone know if the blowers are the same, or different?

People have more fun than anybody..

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:43 pm

Handgunner45 wrote:Yep, thats all there is to it. You may have to set up the card with Encore Pro first, but mine started recording from the very beginning when I got it. There is nothing to enabe or disable as far as the recording is concerned.
A little clarification.....you don't have to set it up with Encore Pro first. If it comes with the card in it (REMstar Auto, REMstar Pro 2, REMstar M Series Auto, or REMstar M Series Pro).....and all of those machines SHOULD come with one.....it will record detailed sleep statistics from the "get-go". With the software and reader, you can download the data and analyze your therapy.

The software used to come with an extra card, but about a year ago Respironics quit doing that. Additional cards are available from CPAP.COM for $10 ea.

I've only used the "Classic" (pre-M Series) models, so I'm partial to those machines.

Best wishes,

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:56 pm

If you are buying the M Auto with the reader installed, then the card will be in it, at least if you are getting it on line, I do not know how the DME sells it.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

Rafe

Card reader

Post by Rafe » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:36 pm

I do not believe the Respironics Pro M Series with C-Flex I got from the DME had a card reader in it. It definitely didn't come with a Smartcard. There is a slot in the back of the unit, but I don't think there is a card reader there.

SelfSeeker

Re: Card reader

Post by SelfSeeker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:10 pm

Rafe,

If the slot looks about the width of a credit card and there is an curve inwards where the slot is, then that is the slot. The only thing missing is the card.

Here is a picture of the card and slot on a remstar M auto, does your pro look like that?

https://www.cpap.com/viewImage.php?Bund ... rtCard.jpg

Rafe wrote:I do not believe the Respironics Pro M Series with C-Flex I got from the DME had a card reader in it. It definitely didn't come with a Smartcard. There is a slot in the back of the unit, but I don't think there is a card reader there.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

Rafe

SelfSeeker

Post by Rafe » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:38 pm

SelfSeeker,

Yes, it looks just like the picture. I guess I'll have to get a Smartcard and the software and see what happens.

Thanks.

jskinner

Re: Monitoring software

Post by jskinner » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:01 am

Rafe wrote: 1. Considering that the price differential between the REMstar Auto and M series Auto full packages is less than $100, which is the better machine?
I think they are about equal. I like the M Series because it give more data on the on board display and it smaller.
Rafe wrote: 2. What is the difference between a M series Plus and a M series Pro?
Plus only records complience. Pro records everything. Don't get a Plus if you want data.
Rafe wrote: 3. The DME did not enable the FOSQ capability on my Pro M with C-Flex. Can I enable it? I assume I have to in order to use the Smartcard and Encore software.
You can enable it yourself but its not needed to use the Smartcard.
Rafe wrote: 4. If I buy a Respironics AutoPAP with Encore software bundle from cpap.com, can I use the SW on my Pro M if I get the FOSQ enabled, or do I have to buy another SW bundle?
The software will work with any Respironics machine.
Rafe wrote: 5. Does the Encore SW with USB reader bundle from cpap.com @ $185 come with a Smartcard? It’s not clear from the description of the bundle.
A Smartcard should come in the box with each machine that has a slot. Save yourself some $ and get the USB reader from two-factor.com for $24

JohnD

Just received a M Series Auto C-Flex CPAP w/Encore Pro,.....

Post by JohnD » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:09 am

Hi,

New here to this forum but a 13+ year Cpap patient. I just had my first night with a Respironics M Series Auto C-Flex CPAP/Apap with the Encore Pro Data Management Software 1.6i and M Series Heated Humidifier, and the Respironics Smart Card Reader - USB. I do a lot of traveling as well, so that's why I bought the M series.

I had been using a 12+ year old Sullivan Plus Cpap set somewhere between 9-11. Well, i can report that this M series is fantastic. There are no strange noises coming from the machine, it's much quieter than my old cpap. The Auto Titration is a blessing as well as the Cflex. I use to feel that I could never get a full breath or a full exhale before I went to sleep, those feelings are now gone. I woke up this morning feeling so much better. I had been having a lot of problems waking up during the night, especially after what seemed to be a chronic 5 hr sleep pattern, then having trouble going back to sleep. This first night, that did not seem to be the case, so I am hoping this will continue. Based on how I feel this morning, I am very positive that I will feel better now during the day.

My machine came from cpap.com. They have been great, fast shipment, no problems. It was set at Auto, min 4, max 20. It came with a Smart Card, and of course the reader, which I purchased.,,.I wish I had read JSkinner's post above before, as I would have saved some $$. It was very easy to set up the software on my laptop. You must first set up Encore on the computer, then use the instructions for the card reader.

Will report back on how I feel in the next few days...so far, I am feeling much better than I have for a long time now.

John D

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, humidifier, cpap.com, C-FLEX, cflex, Titration, Encore Pro, CPAP, auto, Smart Card

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, humidifier, cpap.com, C-FLEX, cflex, Titration, Encore Pro, CPAP, auto, Smart Card

Last edited by JohnD on Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.