Very Scary

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
krousseau

Post by krousseau » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Thank you for the reminder re GERD & links to GERD-for myself-think I might do a trial of prilosec before my next MD appt. And for a friend with chronic bronchitis and raspy voice-no excuse for not suggesting a followup on the possibility of GERD-when I was working that was always on my mind when someone had chronic bronchitis. Good catch!
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

kteague

Venture another guess

Post by kteague » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:42 pm

Melissa,

A few months ago I went to a gastro doc complaining of feeling like something was stuck in my throat, but the sensation changed periodically, feeling like something was moving in my throat. When it felt lower, it was painful with bad indigestion. When it felt higher, it was more of a nagging aggravation. Add to that chronic hoarseness for months, and the doc said it was classic GERD.

But about your apap machine - I agree that 4 would suffocate me, and that the range is quite wide. But aside from that, are you using the ramp or settling feature? If the ramp feature is working longer than you lie awake, you could be sleeping unprotected.

My ex-husband didn't say much that I'd give a second thought, but he was tenacious, and one thing he often said seems true around here: "If you throw enough mud against the wall, sooner or later some is gonna stick." I think that must be the country version of "If at first you don't succeed, try try again". Hope something "sticks" soon.

Kathy

P.S. How was that for hedging my bet? (Does that really mean something in the gambling world?)

munsterlander

Post by munsterlander » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:48 pm

Melissa, I had a very bad night a couple weeks ago with my M series Pro. I found out that when I cleaned my humidifier, I installed the gasket upside down. It did not seal and I had a whole night of black lines on my reports. Just a thought.

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:06 pm

Anonymous wrote:good thing you are a nurse or it would have really been scary.
Yea, you must scare easily of confrontation, otherwise you would log in!

I can't use the ramp feature, b/c the lowest setting is 4, so it won't allow me. But can someone answer my question about my 90% pressure averaging @ 5.8, so initial setting of 4 shouldn't be that bad, right? How much higher can I set the lowest pressure, if I'm @ 5.8? I shouldn't go beyond a 5, right?

~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:12 pm

From a site:

Laryngopharygeal Reflux is sometimes called silent reflux because it may be
present without any feelings of heartburn or with very mild symptoms.
However, in many cases heartburn is a symptom. Other symptoms include:

Dry Cough
Hoarseness or voice loss
Postnasal drip
Sensation of lump or something stuck in the throat
Sore Throat
Chronic Throat Clearing

Another interesting point is that NSAIDS (Ibuprofen) can increase symptoms. I have been taking alot of Ibuprofen the past few days. Well I'm convinced...thank you so much goofy guest and the rest of you...well all but one!
~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:51 pm

Poor Melissa, it's always something, isn't it? We may go a day or two without an episode but something is bound to happen. You are supposed to be a trained medical professional but I question that. Your desperate need for attention needs to be addressed another forum, not one for CPAP.

I know I'm saying what others are thinking and I'm posting as a guest so I can use this forum if I have a genuine question.

Ok, groupies... start with your "support of NYNURSE"

ThunderSnorem

Post by ThunderSnorem » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:Poor Melissa, it's always something, isn't it? We may go a day or two without an episode but something is bound to happen. You are supposed to be a trained medical professional but I question that. Your desperate need for attention needs to be addressed another forum, not one for CPAP.

I know I'm saying what others are thinking and I'm posting as a guest so I can use this forum if I have a genuine question.

Ok, groupies... start with your "support of NYNURSE"

Please guest - grow up. If you don't have something constructive to say, don't say anything at all.

Thundersnorem - 'not afraid to post as myself.'

GoofyUT

Pity.

Post by GoofyUT » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:28 pm

Really, REALLY poor delivery!!!

But s/he's absolutely right (about the GERD).

Chuck

P.S. I'm gettin' a headache.
People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

Jere

Post by Jere » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:54 pm

This is so shameful. People here have the right to ask for advice, evaluate responses and take whatever action he or she may feel comfortable with. It is no one's right attack someone behind a mask of a 'Guest' post for not taking someone's advice. This is just being mean for the sake of meanness. It's shameful for Melissa (or anyone) to be attacked in this way. If you don't like to read Melissa's posts, then read something else, but leave the woman alone.

There. Shoot me for feeding the troll(s), but I for one am getting sick of this garbage.
"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

A Different Guest

Post by A Different Guest » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:07 pm

Anonymous wrote: I know I'm saying what others are thinking and I'm posting as a guest so I can use this forum if I have a genuine question.
I hate to say this, but you're right.

Jere

Post by Jere » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:30 pm

So keep your pointless opinions to yourself. Must of us here are able to refrain from using this board to judge others. There is a difference between debating and judging.
"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:26 pm

NyNurse33 wrote:But can someone answer my question about my 90% pressure averaging @ 5.8, so initial setting of 4 shouldn't be that bad, right? How much higher can I set the lowest pressure, if I'm @ 5.8? I shouldn't go beyond a 5, right?
Melissa, I think Chuck and the others who suggested the possibility of acid reflux causing the problem you mentioned in your first post in this topic, are likely right on target.

I didn't realize your 90th percentile pressure was averaging 5.8 when I suggested you raise the lower pressure. It wouldn't hurt to raise the minimum pressure to 5, but if 4 feels ok to you (doesn't feel too stifling inside the mask) then 4's fine to keep it on. Obviously it doesn't take much pressure to keep your throat open. You're lucky!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:36 am

Jere wrote:Most of us here are able to refrain from using this board to judge others.
Your forgetting about dsm. Judgment is his area of expertise.

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:10 am

Guest you are right about one of the factors in GERD. Very good explanation-so good it leads me to believe you are older that 10. Even if you are not older than ten the intelligence and coherence you exhibited in your explanation indicates you would probably understand the concepts presented in the book "Social Intelligence" by Daniel Goleman. If you are young enough to be concerned about success in life it might be helpful to you. If you are old enough to be bitter and not care-then it is unlikely to be of interest. If you need some more attention-ask some questions.
Last edited by krousseau on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:11 am

rested gal wrote:Melissa, I think Chuck and the others who suggested the possibility of acid reflux causing the problem you mentioned in your first post in this topic, are likely right on target.
I agree with the acid reflux suggestion.
Gerd's another chicken or the egg thing with OSA, kind of like depression and obesity. How'd we all get so lucky?