How do I convert my BiPAP to battery power?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Marzzz

How do I convert my BiPAP to battery power?

Post by Marzzz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:22 pm

Does anyone know how to do this?

I use a Respironics BiPAP Pro2 with a humidifier. I would like to know what I need to hook it up to a battery when I have to sleep during electrical storms. And what kind of battery should I use?

Sleepy-in-AL

Post by Sleepy-in-AL » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:41 pm

You can find lots more answers by doing a search.

But there are a couple of options. If you are looking for just backup power, look for an Uninterupptable Power Supply (UPS) at any computer store, office supply, or SAMS. Plug the BiPAP into the UPS and when the power goes out, you'll be on backup automatically. Don't plug the heated humidifier into it though. You will need a seperate power cord for that, they are available at CPAP.com. There are 2 reasons you don't want to plug the humidifier in. First, unless you get a "true sinewave" UPS, you can damage the humidifier. Second, you would need way more battery capacity. When the power goes out, your humidifier will just be an unheated passover humidifier. If you go this route, you'll probably want to hook the UPS up to a computer and install the software for at least long enough to turn the alarms off. It really stinks to have backup power so you can sleep through a power outage only to have the UPS alarm wake everyone in the house.

If you are looking for temporary battery power, such as for camping, you can purchase a power adapter cord to run straight from a car battery or a 12V battery pack. These adapters for the Pro2 and BiPAP Auto are very expensive, $165 from cpap.com. The affordable alternative is to use an inverter which hooks up to a 12V battery and produces 110V AC which you plug in as normal. You also can't use the humidifier here. CPAP.com has inverters and power cables.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:31 pm

Hi Marzzz,

Sleepy-In-AL gave good advice. Here's a link you can click to see some interesting discussions:

LINKS to Battery operation, camping, power outage

Marzzz

Thanks so much!

Post by Marzzz » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:15 am

This is what I love about you folks, you're so helpful. When asked the same question, my DME rep said that I would have to buy some alligator clips from her. Huh?? (No thanks, the gators can keep their clips, I'll go somewhere else.)

And yes, I did a search, but obviously I didn't get as many hits as RG. Don't know how she does it!

One of the posts said that BiPAPs need a 24 volt battery instead of a 12 volt. Is this true? Do hardware stores carry them?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:17 pm

You can but automotive batteries in 24 volt, but the one I'm referring fit in a helocopter. I don't think we can afford one of those. Two high amp deep cycle batteries and a slow charger for them are the answer, but it's not portable. The fact that's it 24 volts makes it unhandy and expensive,

Bi-PAPs have to work harder, so they use more power, that's why they use 24 volts the wireing can still be small and do the work.

I have a APC Back-UPS 1250 NS, more than enough power at 110 Volts A/C, but it will run down pretty fast, I'm thinking that when the batteries in it go bad (3years) hooking it up to a Deep Cycle 12 Volt Battery or whatever voltage it's designed for. That should let you run for a few days withour power, I could even keep the computers running too. Need more power add more batteries in the mix. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jondough

Post by jondough » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:02 pm

As the BiPapPro2 and BiPapAuto require 24VDC, it is an odd animal. I have tried to find an affordable 12VDC to 24VDC converter and have found a component [box and wire yourself] one for under $200 and one all ready to go at $250. Also found one in UK and one in AUS. As I am not sure yet whether to spend my money this way, as I must still consider batteries and chargers, I have not persued this direction much more yet.

I am thinking that for my 12 days, I may try to rent a PB425, get at least one Zantrex 600, maybe two and stay at 12V and then change over to the BiPapAuto when I get back.

I will be selling the BiPapPro2 when I do.
michael

dx bipappro2 [14-11] nov 04
no more mysterious lost days, weekends, weeks.

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:28 pm

What you really should consider is getting an 'inverter'

These are pretty common & not that expensive.

An inverter converts 12vdc to 115vac. The voltage & current rating of the BiPap power pack is unusual being 26.0vdc at 2.3amps.

Tw 12v batteries would work, just need to be sure each battery can peak handle 2.3amps (there are several brands of gel cell that could meet your needs).

Do a google on gel cells - there are plenty - you want 2 12v cells that have at least a capacity of 18-20 amp hours. The bigger the better (20 amp hrs shd give about 2 nights use from the 2 batteries wired in series but depending on your pressure settings - higher pressure settings means the motor works harder & uses up more power).

good luck.

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Sleepy-in-AL

Post by Sleepy-in-AL » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:23 pm

If you go the UPS route, it provides 110VAC for your current power supply. When the power goes out, it uses its internal batteries and circuitry to continue to provide 110VAC. They are available in many sizes depending on the length of time you need to be on battery.

I don't think I would go straight off the batteries. I'm not sure how the BiPAPs would handle the varying voltage as the batteries discharge. It might be alright but unless I knew for sure, I wouldn't go there. The inverters such as https://www.cpap.com/productpage/aims-c ... erter.html (you can get inverters lots of places, including Walmart many cheaper than this) and the dc-dc power supply https://www.cpap.com/productpage/DC-Pow ... Bipap.html will cut off when the battery voltage drops to low to reliably power it.

johndough,
You said
I have tried to find an affordable 12VDC to 24VDC converter and have found a component [box and wire yourself] one for under $200 and one all ready to go at $250.
The DC-DC supply listed above converts 12V to 24V for the BiPAP and only costs $165. I'm still not convinced that it will be efficient enough to justify the $165 price tag.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): bipap, Power

jondough

Post by jondough » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:39 pm

On the cpap.com DC-DC, after doing so much research to find a 'better' price than $165, I forgot about that unit. Thanks. As far as the inverter goes, it just seems so inefficient to change DC to AC and then back to DC at the machine. Even two efficiencies of 90% will yield less than 80%, and when you are trying to squeeze every minute out of a battery, which really can only drop to around 50% for a device like this, i.e. half its AH rating, it becomes a real problem of weight and expense for more than one night, maybe two for a BiPap at 24V.

michael

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:51 am

[quote="jondough"]On the cpap.com DC-DC, after doing so much research to find a 'better' price than $165, I forgot about that unit. Thanks. As far as the inverter goes, it just seems so inefficient to change DC to AC and then back to DC at the machine. Even two efficiencies of 90% will yield less than 80%, and when you are trying to squeeze every minute out of a battery, which really can only drop to around 50% for a device like this, i.e. half its AH rating, it becomes a real problem of weight and expense for more than one night, maybe two for a BiPap at 24V.

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Marzzz

Explain please

Post by Marzzz » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:33 am

Sleepy-in-AL wrote:If you go the UPS route, it provides 110VAC for your current power supply. When the power goes out, it uses its internal batteries and circuitry to continue to provide 110VAC. They are available in many sizes depending on the length of time you need to be on battery.
Does this mean you can uplug the BiPAP to simulate a power outage and use the UPS battery power, or does the power actually have to go out before you can use the UPS?

Marzzz

jondough

Post by jondough » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:12 pm

a UPS, of course depending on size, will run an xPAP for just so long and is not an overnight or multi night solution. It will get you thru the "short" power failures and glitches all-be-it with an out of power alarm unless you disconnect it.

If you plug the xPap into the UPS and the HHumi into the wall outlet, [and disconnect or disable the UPS alarm] you probably will never know the power went out overnight.

To test, pull the power to the UPS with the xPap running and see how long it runs at your settings.

In my area, no NJ, I have a lot LOT of brief power outages and because I live in a wooded area a few long half day outages. a UPS should take care of 90% or more. I doubt that one day off xPap will create much of a problem and that using a passover humidifier for whatever time will either.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): Power

michael

Sleepy-in-AL

Re: Explain please

Post by Sleepy-in-AL » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:49 pm

Marzzz wrote:
Does this mean you can uplug the BiPAP to simulate a power outage and use the UPS battery power, or does the power actually have to go out before you can use the UPS?

Marzzz
Marzzz,

Sorry I missed your question earlier. I can't post from work so by the time I got home, the thread had slipped down the list.

As Jondough said, as far as simulating a power outage, just unplug the UPS and the humidifier from the wall and leave the BiPAP plugged into the UPS. If everything is working correctly, the BiPAP should continue to run until you plug the UPS back in or the batteries die. The heater in the humidifier will obviously go off, but the residual heat should keep the water warm for a while assuming that it had been running long enough to warm up before the power outage.

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:02 pm

OK! Thanks everyone for all that information. Those explanations throw a lot of light on the subject.

Just for the record – and for anyone else who needs to know — I contacted Respironics and the tech support man told me pretty much the same thing everyone else has said.

Here's what he said — (how to connect the BiPAP to battery power.)

"You can use a 100 amp/hr deep cycle marine battery. You can purchase that battery from any store that sells batteries. You would also need part number 1012975 to connect to your BiPAP. This would only run the BiPAP not the humidifier. If you want to run the humidifier you would need a 300 watt inverter and battery adapter cables. The inverter can be bought at Radio Shack or it is our part number f552097. The battery adapter cable is part number 532209."

"To run the humidifier [with the BiPAP] you need the battery but not 1012975. The inverter and battery adapter cables takes the place of 1012975."

I think all my questions have been answered now. Thanks to all who posted replies!

scalkins

Post by scalkins » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:17 am

It's amazing the amount of information this community knows...!
"If it ain't one thing...."