Travelling with CPAP tomorrow - Opinions/Suggestions Sought

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GaryGarland

Travelling with CPAP tomorrow - Opinions/Suggestions Sought

Post by GaryGarland » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:25 am

Hi All,
Tomorrow's my first business trip as a hose head. I bought a spare machine for just such an occurance (and in case my primary broke) but when i first fired it up i noticed a cigarette smoke smell (just about 60 hours on the thing too - shucks!)
so after reading the forum, i sprayed a tissue with lysol and put near the air intake and ran the machine. then said screw it and sprayed the filter with lysol and ran the machine. then took the filter out, machine running, and misted near the intake. then sprayed more directly. i've run the machine about 4 hours now, and today i have the machine running the entire day while i'm at work.
the hose smells lightly of cigarette smoke, and not so shockingly, lysol.
i recently received some pursleep samples, and figured that may make the trip better. anywhoo, here's where i'm asking for suggestions:
1) should i take my main machine, main hose (with covers), etc., and my 8 week old mask (my inclination is yes). i plan to bring the humidifier and use tap, and clean the thing at home.
2) should i leave my main machine, and take the new hose, new machine, and a brand new mask? (same as old, just sealed in bag). still plan to use tap for water.
3) should i bring a spare mask in case, i don't know, something happens?
The advantage of leaving my main machine home is i save about 10 minutes packing in the a.m. (early flightly). also, main machine can't get ruined, bumped, etc.
Does anyone think the new mask will have the "new mask smell?" and if so, how long should it last? i'm going for 5 nights - seminars, i have to be alert, etc.
i dread travel on a good day, this is just one added thing. any suggestions appreciated -- thanks!

Lee Lee

Re: Travelling with CPAP tomorrow - Opinions/Suggestions Sought

Post by Lee Lee » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:15 am

I always take my main machine, and an extra mask. I carry it on. I travel quite a bit, and I've never had a problem. You WILL get pulled out of the security line to check the machine, so make sure you go early.
The new mask smell should be gone with Pursleep.
Have a safe and pleasant trip!

GaryGarland

Post by GaryGarland » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:29 am

thanks! between my broken foot, my cpap machine, and my computer and electronics gear, i'll probably only need 3 hours for the check in (domestic flight) - can't wait!
although the backup machine is puffing away as we speak, i think i will bring my main machine (and humidifier), my main mask, and the backup (maybe just the pillow)
Thanks!

Debjax

Post by Debjax » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:29 am

I'm traveling for the first time since going on CPAP this week also....leaving on a 6am flight on Thursday morning to see my granddaughters in Michigan. Will have everything packed the night before, then plan to get up at 3:30, dump water from humidifier, brush teeth, get dressed, pack machine and boogie to the airport to be there by 4:45 ish.

I only wish I could use it while I'm sleeping on the first segment to Houston.

I'm still hot....it just comes in flashes...
iMob Friend Code - 179-961-093

SheZAAM!

Post by SheZAAM! » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:05 pm

I'm traveling next week as well. Going to see friends in Seattle and Vancouver. I'm planning extra time to get through security for my machine and hoping to get a prescription for distilled water to carry with me in my carry-on.

silver123

Post by silver123 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:57 pm

I travel with my back up unit and the current mask I am using. I am sure to pack the APAP unit with humidifier emptied and dried, the hose and mask all together in a single carry on, the bag that came with the APAP.I do not separate these items in different bags. Especially in the winter, if you get stranded, you will need them.I bag the hose and mask in platic so they are protected. I carry a copy of my prescription, and a letter from my doc in that bag.

For the TSA, be prepared to open the CPAP bag so they can do an inspection. I also have a medical equipment luggage tag on the bag that I got from cpap.com. You have a right to carry that extra bag on as a carry on. I've never had problems but in case, that is why I have the script and letter. I pick up distilled water once I get to where I am going, and in a pinch, use tap or decarbonated spring water. I just am careful to clean the humidifier tank well when I get home.

If you do a search, you'll find tons of suggestions for travel.
silver
Don't be afraid to go out on a limb.
That's where the fruit is.
- H. Jackson Browne

garymbsail

Post by garymbsail » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Evening all,
I've been hosing about four months now. I took two trips by air in the past month and had no problems with the TSA check-ins. I learned that we simply inform the inspectors and unbag the machine like we do our computers. The TSA folks then took it aside, gave it a brief swipe with a chemical-testing swab, and wished me a good flight. I didn't notice any delays, but then I travel with my wife who has a bionic knee. It, really, was no big deal with the CPAP.
As for the water, I've found distilled water too readily available and too cheap to consider traveling with it. If I have a delay in obtaining distilled [as I did a couple of weeks ago], tap water was fine one night at a time with thorough drying each AM. A previous poster's suggestion of non-sparling bottled should be OK, too. I personally would not bother buying that anywhere in the US or other reliable public water supplier.
I don't have a back-up unit, so I wouldn't check it any more than I'd check my Rx's.
Anyway, I'm a happy papper with good results so far.

Safe travels,
Gary B. in Mass.

greenvelvetdragon

Post by greenvelvetdragon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:43 am

Take an extension cord!!!! the outlet is never in the right place, i found this out the hard way, i just keep it in the bag. when they look thru your bag at security ask them to wear gloves if they will be touching your mask and either way clean your mask thoroughly before you use it. i travel a lot interstate and overseas, i also work in an acute hospital and the hands spread nasty things!!! have a great trip.

Lee Lee

Post by Lee Lee » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:38 pm

Oh, good catch!! The extension cord is HUGE!! A must have! I always have to buy one when I forget.

Babbie

Post by Babbie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:22 pm

Just went to Australia and back in December. I didn't use the bag it came in - I put everything in a carry-on that I put foam rubber under the part that zips for extra padding. I used the Remstar bag the first time I went down there and found it extremely heavy to carry so this time I put it in a carry-on that rolls. Seemed to work fine. Yes, keep everything in one bag. I only have one autopap so I had no choice in the matter but I did take an extra mask (headgear, the whole deal). At security I just took the autopap out of my bag and put it in one of those trays and only once did TSA staff say they were going to swab it. The rest of the time they just put it through the machine without a glance. If anyone read my earlier post, once I got there, my HH gave up the ghost - wouldn't heat. I think I burned something out in it because of the converter I had to use because it was a different country. And yes, the extension cord is a really good idea. Happy trails----hope you enjoy the trip!!

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:52 pm

TSA won't need to handle anything but the machine. Put the machine in a tray by itself and put the CPAP bag through like a normal bag -- it will just get x-rayed like any other carry-on. Put your mask in a gallon zip-lock bag if you feel that you need the additional protection.

It may help to make up a card with a packing list of everything that you want to carry in your CPAP bag. Check the contents of your bag against the list before you leave to make sure that you haven't forgotten something.

lovey

Post by lovey » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:26 pm

Bearded_One wrote: It may help to make up a card with a packing list of everything that you want to carry in your CPAP bag. Check the contents of your bag against the list before you leave to make sure that you haven't forgotten something.
The packing list is a good idea. I'm always nervous that I have accidentally left a part at home, especially when I leave in the early a.m. Happy travels.

Lovey
Highest courage is to dare to be yourself in the face of adversity.Choosing right over wrong, ethics over convenience, and truth over popularity. Travel the path of integrity without looking back, for there is never a wrong time to do the right thing.

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:40 pm

Al lthe the hints you've been given are excellent. I would go with what you know. If you have any doubts about the smell of the second machine, take your regular one. Go with the mask you are using now... you have it's fit tweaked right now, so use that one and save the new one for when you are home and can deal with it at leisure.

One thing though.... TSA regs require you to take the cpap out and put it in a tray, just like laptop computers. It it not an option. So pack your hose, mask, extension cord, etc. in such a way that you can easily get the cpap out and back in with a minimum of fuss.

Good luck and a safe trip.

5aces

Post by 5aces » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:43 pm

Hello friend:

Perused this handy Award Winning Tip from here:viewtopic.php?p=207316

Bookbear even liked this one!

All the best!
ImageImage

Billy6

Post by Billy6 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:48 am

I throw my machine, hose and mask right in my carryon. So far, on 10 trips through security, the TSA has inspected the machine twice, so be prepared for that.