Full face masks that need the least tightening down?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pjwalman

Full face masks that need the least tightening down?

Post by pjwalman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:06 pm

I was wondering if those with a lot of full-face mask experience could weigh in on which of the full-face masks actually do the best when "hovering" over the face rather than being cinched down tightly? I've gone through the Quattro, tried FIL's Mirage a couple nights, the F&P 432, and the ZZZ, but was wondering about the others out there, which to try next. I think the leaves the ComfortGel, the Total Advantage, the Invacare Twilight, the Soyala, the Hans Rudoph, and the Mojo Gel. If I've left any out, feel free to add to the list. I am a side sleeper, toss from side to side regularly, and I've found everything so far needs to be cinched to the point of leaving deep grooves in my face. (I know I'm probably just imagining it, but I swear my face is taking on the grooves of the masks permanently.)

Any input would be appreciated! I am actually considering trying the Total Face Mask, though I can hear the groans already. If anybody has personal input on that one, I'd appreciate hearing that also.

Thank you!

Peggy

abysmillard

Post by abysmillard » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:27 pm

Durn, I was hoping for a lot of replies to this question so I could learn something. I use a Quattro and occasionally a Soyala full face. The Quattro doesn't need to be as tight as the Soyala, but still, I'd like to find something that will sit more lightly on my face.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:14 pm

Sorry to disappoint you, but I've only used 4 FF masks. The only two that I can use are the UMFF and Quattro and I'm able to wear both of them relatively loose. The other two.....Comfortfull 2 and Zzz weren't workable for me.
I started with the UMFF and that's the standard by which I've judged the others.....and it's the one I use pretty consistently.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

stevoreno

Post by stevoreno » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:21 pm

I recently tried a Quattro and a Flexifit 432 at my local Apria Healthcare store but neither FFM gave me a decent seal at 18cm. If anyone knows of a good FFM that will give a decent seal at 18cm or higher post here if you would. Apria Healthcare sent me home that day with a Comfortgel nasal mask which although is more comfortable than my old Profile Lite I'm still having mouth breathing issues. Apria also sent me home with a large chin strap to wear which isn't helping me out very much. It seems to be irritating my skin more than anything else.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:28 pm

stevoreno wrote:I recently tried a Quattro and a Flexifit 432 at my local Apria Healthcare store but neither FFM gave me a decent seal at 18cm. If anyone knows of a good FFM that will give a decent seal at 18cm or higher post here if you would. Apria Healthcare sent me home that day with a Comfortgel nasal mask which although is more comfortable than my old Profile Lite I'm still having mouth breathing issues. Apria also sent me home with a large chin strap to wear which isn't helping me out very much. It seems to be irritating my skin more than anything else.
The UMFF should work. At least according to a number of those that use higher pressures. The setting of 18 is where I started out with it, but I didn't stay there long enough to give it a good test. I've been tempted at times to go back to that pressure and do some mask tests with it, but I'm not quite that masochistic......especially since I don't NEED that kind of pressure to have effective therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

stevoreno

Post by stevoreno » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:35 pm

Wulfman wrote:
stevoreno wrote:I recently tried a Quattro and a Flexifit 432 at my local Apria Healthcare store but neither FFM gave me a decent seal at 18cm. If anyone knows of a good FFM that will give a decent seal at 18cm or higher post here if you would. Apria Healthcare sent me home that day with a Comfortgel nasal mask which although is more comfortable than my old Profile Lite I'm still having mouth breathing issues. Apria also sent me home with a large chin strap to wear which isn't helping me out very much. It seems to be irritating my skin more than anything else.
The UMFF should work. At least according to a number of those that use higher pressures. The setting of 18 is where I started out with it, but I didn't stay there long enough to give it a good test. I've been tempted at times to go back to that pressure and do some mask tests with it, but I'm not quite that masochistic......especially since I don't NEED that kind of pressure to have effective therapy.

Den

jsmythe

Re: Full face masks that need the least tightening down?

Post by jsmythe » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:16 am

[quote="pjwalman"]I was wondering if those with a lot of full-face mask experience could weigh in on which of the full-face masks actually do the best when "hovering" over the face rather than being cinched down tightly? I've gone through the Quattro, tried FIL's Mirage a couple nights, the F&P 432, and the ZZZ, but was wondering about the others out there, which to try next. I think the leaves the ComfortGel, the Total Advantage, the Invacare Twilight, the Soyala, the Hans Rudoph, and the Mojo Gel. If I've left any out, feel free to add to the list. I am a side sleeper, toss from side to side regularly, and I've found everything so far needs to be cinched to the point of leaving deep grooves in my face. (I know I'm probably just imagining it, but I swear my face is taking on the grooves of the masks permanently.)

Any input would be appreciated! I am actually considering trying the Total Face Mask, though I can hear the groans already. If anybody has personal input on that one, I'd appreciate hearing that also.

Thank you!

Peggy

Started using cpap Sept. 12, 2007
Respironics PR System One Bi-Pap Auto w/Flex,pressure of 9/15, do not use ramp

Engransan

Post by Engransan » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:34 am

I started as a new user two months ago with the nasal pillow but due to mouth leaks I switched to the ResMed Liberty. I have used it for about a month with little satisfaction until I read in this forum yesterday how to adjust it. I had it so tight that the air cushion effect was totally gone. One of the guys suggested turning the machine on for a couple of seconds with the straps very loose then after the mask has inflated gradually tighten them. That worked great! The mask was very comfortable and I slept 9 hours.

superjet

Post by superjet » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:41 am

stevoreno wrote:
Wulfman wrote:

Den

stevoreno

Post by stevoreno » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:51 am

superjet wrote:
stevoreno wrote:
Wulfman wrote:

Den

chipbutty

Post by chipbutty » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:32 pm

Could you point me towards that thread please? I can't find it.

I'd given up on the Liberty but determined to get it working.

[quote="Engransan"]I started as a new user two months ago with the nasal pillow but due to mouth leaks I switched to the ResMed Liberty. I have used it for about a month with little satisfaction until I read in this forum yesterday how to adjust it. I had it so tight that the air cushion effect was totally gone. One of the guys suggested turning the machine on for a couple of seconds with the straps very loose then after the mask has inflated gradually tighten them. That worked great! The mask was very comfortable and I slept 9 hours.

superjet

Post by superjet » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:49 am

stevoreno wrote:
superjet wrote:
stevoreno wrote:
Wulfman wrote:

Den

yorkiemum01

Post by yorkiemum01 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:05 pm

I'm a petite woman..who is a chronic mouth breather.
I've found the Ultra Mirage Full face shallow small, and the Quattro
(also size small) to be the only masks I can use, and both do require a pretty secure fit. As a side sleeper, began to wonder if the pillow isnt
more the issue, something to better suite the need for the mask.

pjwalman

Post by pjwalman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:57 pm

YorkieMum, forgive me if you've already seen this, but I have a homemade sewing pattern I've been giving to forum members for what I call a PillowPal that you set on top of your own favorite pillow. If gives just enough clearance for your mask, plus a little wiggleable section to move around under your forehead, chin, etc. If you're having trouble with your pillow, you might want to check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?p=266001#266001

I've given out over 60 of them in the last couple months, and some people are finding it helps them get comfortable with all their masked glory.

Peggy

yorkiemum01

Post by yorkiemum01 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:16 pm

Peggy...that is a really neat creation/pattern. Although I can get an IV line in a patient with horrible veins, I've never learned how to even thread a needle. Will need to print this out and ask a few friends to look it over and give me a hand. Sure have nothing to lose. Thanks for sharing.