ResMed Liberty

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
phorts

Post by phorts » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:17 pm

oops, my mistake, i meant Hybrid not Liberty as you mentioned. Thanks again for an exceptionally insightful response.

I talked w/ my DME and RT today and have a new Hybrid sitting on my doorstep waiting for me when I get home. Again, I have a little glimmer of hope beginning to form and am very curious to see how things differ from these two masks. I will write up a full report tomorrow on my experiences with the Hybrid and a comparison of the two masks. I was able to have the RT look at the headgear and it is Gray on the inside so it is the new version of the headgear based on your description. Hopefully I have the new Adaptive Flow Vent model as well. If for nothing else, it sounds cooler

PS - it looks like I have a useless liberty in my closet. Not sure if it's of any use to anyone on here or not. My insurance paid for it and my replacement Hybrid mask comes to me at no additional cost.

See you tomorrow, wish me luck.

Mask: RespCare Hybrid Universal Interface w/ Nasal Pillows (New Adaptive Flow version w/ upgraded headgear)
Humidifier: ResMed HumidAire 2i™
Pressure: CPAP set to 7

phorts

Post by phorts » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:09 pm

I just got home and opened the box. I confirmed that I do have the black and gray headgear so it looks like I got the new version. However, when i was watching the video, i didnt notice any difference in the one they show (Black on black) and the one I have.

Does anyone know the physical difference of the two versions and how that's supposed to improve the leaking problems people are/were having?

Thank you!

Mask: RespCare Hybrid Universal Interface w/ Nasal Pillows (New Adaptive Flow version w/ upgraded headgear)

phorts

First night w/ Hybrid

Post by phorts » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:21 am

Oooooooo...K. This Hybrid Review is LONG!

Last night I got my new Hybrid mask, and as my previous posts suggested it IS the new headgear type and I'm assuming it's the new Adaptive Flow version as well. So please read this review with that in mind as it seems many people have had problems with leaking and loudness that these new features have addressed.

Useful Info:
Machine: Resmed AutoSet Spirit APAP Set to CPAP
Pressure: 7
Humidifier: Humidaire 2i set to 5/10
Hybrid Oral Cusion: Medium
Hybid Pillows: Medium Pillows set to High height setting

Well, I used the Medium Oral cushion and the medium nasal pillows on the high height. The fit was FAR better than the Liberty mask as the oral cushion fit perfectly around my lips and the chip flap was snug against my chin making for a very firm and comfortable fit. The nasal pillows were just that, soft and pillowy and they fit right into my nose on the high height. I played with them for maybe 30 seconds before I was able to get them to seal in nicely. I think this is one of the key factors for me since my nose may be a little further away from my mouth then the Liberty engineers would like it to be. There was no height adjustment on the Liberty pillows. . Also, the Liberty Nasal pillows pushed hard up into the nose and made my nose pretty achy only after a few minutes of wearing it. I dont think the double nasal "trampoline" effect of the Liberty Pillows is necessary if you're able to get a good seal w/o them.

I connected the two top connecters and flipped the headgear over my head like the video suggested and slid the pillows in at an angle and pulled the mask down over my mouth. I connected the two bottom sides with no problem. I do think I like the Libety "clip" style connectors better but these ones are fine, and once you're in...you're in. I then adjusted the straps on the bottom, top and over the head to make it a bit more snug.

Once fit, my first thought was... "wow, this one feels a LOT more comfortable".

I sat down and hooked it up to the machine. I actually used the little 1 foot hose from the Liberty mask, not sure why but I thought it might help w/ the flex of the hose while moving around at night. I turned on the "Mask Fit" setting on my Resmed AutoSet Sprit APAP machine and it flipped between Excellent (5/5), Very Good (4/5) and Good (3/5). It blows pretty freakin hard so I was pretty happy with those results. Especially considering I couldnt get the Liberty to even get to Good for any decent amount of time w/o cranking it down on my face.

Satisfied w/ the fit and a few more adjustments I lied down and hit the ole GO button and up to 7 I went w/ no leaks and a very comfortable seal. I sleep on my side/stomach alot but found myself laying on my back to try to fall asleep. I wasn't successful w/ that but that was the most comfortable position for me w/ the mask on (remember i'm a newbie) I rolled over to my side and was able to fall asleep within 20 minutes or so. The mask is a little bulkier than the Liberty but my pillow is pretty thin and firm so there isnt much room for play there. I think w/ a fluffier pillow i'd be fine. I didnt attempt to sleep on my stomach/side but I think that's just a side effect of having to use a FF mask. I dont think i'd be able to do sleep on my stomach unless you're using a soft nasal mask like the swift or nasalaire. But that's a sacrifice i have to and am willing to make. Sleeping on my side w/ the side of the mask on the pillow made it squish slightly but the seal still stayed solid even w/ me constantly adjusting myself into the perfect position. I found w/ the Liberty that if i found a spot that worked for the mask I had to hold my sleeping pose or I would lose it. W/ the Hybrid I feel I can move around at will to find what works for ME, and the mask will adjust accordingly...I like that better

I woke up a couple times throughout the night (normal to me) but did not have to adjust the mask at all. The seal was still going strong. When i woke up in the morning i did have a pretty dry mouth, so i'm going to up the humidifier tonight to see if that helps. I took the mask off about an hour before getting up so I wasn't able to see if there were any face marks. I didnt feel any pressure points on the mask like i've felt with others so i'm comfident in saying that if there were any marks, they were very mild. I noticed w/ the Liberty mask my upper lip felt like it was taking the brunt of the pressure. Another indication that the Liberty Small oral cushion was not the right fit for me. Unfortunately it only comes in Small and Large and I wasn't able to try the Large...i dont have a Large face by any means and we did "fit" the Large on my face during my session w/ the RT and it just felt too big...

I need to get the cable/software in order to pull the data off, but my feeling is that I had a full night of a good, solid and comfortable seal. The mask was very quiet and comparable to the Liberty mask I was using. We sleep w/ a fan on so the mask was not even noticeable over the mask. The machine, which is quiet, was louder than the mask. I've had loud masks, this is not one of them. Again, this is the Adaptive Flow Version and I only have the Liberty to compare to as far as hybrid style masks go.

In conclusion, I feel that the Hybrid mask suits me FAR better than the Liberty mask. I liked the idea of the lower profile, sleeker looking, easy clasping, new technology of the Liberty, but when you get right down to it, it's all about what works for you. The Hybrid is the very first mask that I have used that doesn't make me want to give up on CPAP. For those of you out there looking to try a "hybrid" style mask, I would recommend you choose the Hybrid, and hold off on the Liberty. If you already own the Hybrid and are unhappy w/ it for leaking and/or loudness issues, I would suggest you try to get ahold of the adaptive flow version and get the new headgear. With a little pushing and whining at Customer Service, i'm sure you'll get it.

I think a good thread to start might be one that people take pictures of their mouth/nose area from the front and side so that people get an idea of what mask works for what type of facial structure. My mouth is regular size but I have a slight underbite. Also, my nose is relatively long (outward) which makes my nares long and skinny. They have a fair sized arch in them. The bridge of my nose is boney and also fairly long (which is why the FF masks didnt work due to air leaking into my eyes).

I hope this review has shed some light on these 2 masks for someone out there. I'll be starting another thread on my overall therapy and tweaks to my systems to get this to work for me, but as for the mask i'm using, i think my search is over! What a releif.

thanks for listening. Feel free to post here or PM me w/ any questions.

Keith

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): resmed, humidifier, hose, video, swift, CPAP, seal, Nasal Pillows, APAP

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:52 pm

Sounds like resmed might have rushed to get this product out.

new2

Post by new2 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:00 am

Everyone keeps saying that the mouth area isn't big enough. Are they talking about all three sizes? That's why these masks come with so much set up and combos, so you have a selection.
At some point when someone discards their liberty for 50.00, I may pick one up to try.

Isn't it funny how we keep buying these masks even when we find something that works like it was made for us? It's like buying a new dress for me.
Or, (this is for my friend, Babs)...a new sexy nighty?

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:15 pm

I don't think the liberty has as much as a selection as the hybrid. they make 2 sizes and you have to buy both or guess your size. That really blows for someone who has no idea what size they are. I hear they both run very small .
Just don't smile!

Vader

Post by Vader » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:21 pm

I really liked the Hybrid.
...well, sort of.
I posted my results here the very first time I used it, and it was not complimentary, to say the least.
But I did take a second look at it with the new headgear, this time with the COMPLETE kit of all three sizes of oral and nasal interfaces, and it worked great from day one. No leaks, no problems.
However.....given a choice, I would really prefer a *traditional* full face mask, over the hybrid type. And as long as the Soyala FF is working so well for me, I'd prefer to not have an interface up my nose.

Vader

todd105

A Plus in my book.

Post by todd105 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:25 pm

Since my insurance lets me get a new mask every 6 months I went in today. I told her I wasnt happy with my current mask and she said lets try this new mask (The Liberty). Now I have never tried a nasal pillow style mask before.

We started me out with the small mask and a medium pillow. I was very happy with the seal and thought it was the most confortable mask Ive tried yet.

At home I decided to take a hour nap this afternoon. I hooked everything up and got all adjusted ok. Started my autopap out at 6. No leaks at all.

Slept the hour and felt that was one great nap! didnt wake up.

Only downfall I found is as before postiings, there is some pressure on the upper lip, but tollerable. 2nd is the dryness in the mouth. As before, Think a adjustment on my humidifier would fix this I hope.

Firefighter's "Murphies Law" If it can go wrong, It will go wrong.