A few quick questions (help downloading sleepyhead)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DankShroud

A few quick questions (help downloading sleepyhead)

Post by DankShroud » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Will central apneas caused by a higher pressure eventually disappear as the body adjusts to sleeping at that pressure? And does mild obstructive sleep apnea (AHI 5-15) require treatment at all? Studies suggest that low AHIs don't reduce quality of life and aren't meaningfully addressed with CPAP treatment. Also, could somebody please tell me where and how to download sleepyhead - if a version exists for Chrome OS?

Last edited by DankShroud on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bertha deBlues

Re: A few quick questions:

Post by Bertha deBlues » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:25 pm

DankShroud wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:15 pm
Will central apneas caused by a higher pressure eventually disappear as the body adjusts to sleeping at that pressure? And does mild obstructive sleep apnea (AHI 5-15) require treatment at all? Studies suggest that low AHIs don't reduce quality of life and aren't meaningfully addressed with CPAP treatment.
My mild OSA is definitely improved with CPAP treatment and, yes, it has improved my quality of life.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:59 pm

DankShroud wrote:
Will central apneas caused by a higher pressure eventually disappear as the body adjusts to sleeping at that pressure?
Sometimes they will go away as the body adjusts.
Sometimes they are here to stay.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

esel

Post by esel » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:38 pm

Good questions... Any other ones ?

For me, at least in my opinion, CPAP has changed OA's into CA's.

AHI with out CPAP ~40
AHI with CPAP (APAP) ~10
AHI with VPAP now ~1

I had to reduce the pressure, reduce the max pressure to actually get ride of the CA's (CA's are turned into UA's unclassifieble apnea on VPAP). So actually I have no idea how these machines classify OA's, CA's and UA's. But, if you have enough patience and fun tweaking around with all those parameters you will end up with good numbers.

With respect to the 2nd question, studies suggest nothing useful. Sorry to disappoint you on that point. Just my opinion.

If you feel OK with CPAP at home and no CPAP on other occasions, you are my guest. :)

If you have any other question, just ask.

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:20 pm

Your apnea of 5-15 is (I have to presume) TREATED apnea, not your tested result #, so unless I'm wrong, don't expect lots of yesses from here... 5 is the med. arbitrary cut-off # for 'good enough', but most here like to be definitely under 3.

DankShroud

Post by DankShroud » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:04 pm

Julie wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:20 pm
Your apnea of 5-15 is (I have to presume) TREATED apnea, not your tested result #, so unless I'm wrong, don't expect lots of yesses from here... 5 is the med. arbitrary cut-off # for 'good enough', but most here like to be definitely under 3.
My original untreated AHI was 7.5.

ShaunBlake

Re: A few quick questions (help downloading sleepyhead)

Post by ShaunBlake » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:29 pm

DankShroud wrote:
... Also, could somebody please tell me where and how to download sleepyhead - if a version exists for Chrome OS?
The latest published version can be found at https://sleepyhead.jedimark.net/. However, it only runs on Linux, macOS, and Windows. I don't know of any software running on Chrome for exploring and reviewing xPAP data.

I looked for a local link to SH and didn't see one; however there is a link in the Announcements section: viewtopic/t88983/Pugsys-PointersSleepyH ... Hints.html that probably will answer all your questions, some you haven't thought of yet, and make you an expert on SH.
Note: I haven't read all the posts, so please don't consider my suggestion that it might make you an expert as a given! 8-)

Okie bipap

Re: A few quick questions (help downloading sleepyhead)

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:12 pm

When my wife first started treatment, she had a large number of CAs when they tried the required pressure. The lowered the pressure to where the AHI was around half of what her AHI was before treatment. They slowly raised her pressure over the next six months, and finally got her up the required pressure. Most nights, her AHI is under two, with higher values (around 4) when her back is bothering her.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.