Inserting CMS-50 Pulse-Ox Graphs into SleepyHead/OSCAR (rev6-2022)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Papit

Re: Inserting CMS-50 Pulse-Ox Graphs into SleepyHead (rev3-2013)

Post by Papit » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:13 pm

I share your pain, CpapWife. It was many hours that I spent pulling hairs and murmuring under my breath trying to decipher "Chinese" instructions. But now, and for about 12 months, it's down pat. When I see your manual I'll try to help some more. For the time being this may be a good reason for other buyers to opt for the mini/USB cable model 50F, which works like a charm, rather than the wireless 50FW, and is priced lower . And, shoot, if you can't get it to work soon, you might want to consider emailing them a request to do an exchange for the 50F and be done with it.
CpapWife wrote:Papit - no upload anywhere. Saw that on a 50f manual, not in my 50fw manual or my 50fw screen.

I asked for an online copy to be emailed to me (China not online right now).
Or I will scan it but later this week.

But the bluetooth one works differently. So no upload choice, no usb choice, and looks like no upload thru the usb cable - believe me I have gone thru it 3 times with a fine tooth comb (ok, no comb, just my usual detailed oriented and analytical viewpoint).

And yup, the instructions I was looking at was yours, not the very amusing to read cms50fw manual.

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

Papit

Post by Papit » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:30 pm

karessamom wrote:Papit If I get this correctly you can name the file what ever? Not necessarily what name the SpO2 names it???
True, karessamom, you can name your sleep data files with any names that will help you stay organized. SpO2 Review software does not name your nightly sleep files. It prompts you to do so right after you upload your pulse-ox data. I used to simply use last night's (yesterday's) date as the name of each succeeding night's file; e.g., 7-20-13. I recently changed to a new naming 'convention' in which I use both last night's date and this morning's date; e.g., 7-20.21-13 to make the name as explicit and unmistakable as I can for my lazy brain to know exactly for which sleep session the data was collected -- my sleep began last night on 7/20 and ended this morning on 7/21.

Gasping

Post by Gasping » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Papit wrote:Hi CpapWife. Refer back to the instruction sheet (see my signature line). Notice that you will be using the "Green Heart" SpO2 Review software, not the 'Assistant' software. Just open the SPO2 Review software at the right time in the sequence. SleepyHead versions 0.9.1, 0.9.2 and 0.9.3 have all shown themselves to be compatible with SpO2 Review. The trick is to follow the instruction set precisely or it's easy to run into time-consuming snags.

You have the Bluetooth FW connection model (I don't). Be sure your connection is paired properly. If a USB cable can alternatively be used, I would try that first and Bluetooth later just to eliminate Bluetooth from a potential cause of the difficulty you're having.
Papit,

I'm not able to do what you describe for Review (After detecting my device, and the correct port number, Review just sits there forever saying Device connected: waiting for data..."

See:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/543 ... _error.jpg

(Haven't found a way to get .jpegs directly into the post - I'm a newbie.)

_No_ version of Review does differently. I'm on win 7 pro 64 bit.) So SH compatibility with Review is unfortunately not helping me.

Also, following your instructions (and the "Norwegian Solution") I get the error in the image below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/543 ... _error.jpg

I have never been able to get SH to talk to my CMS50FW. Note that SH does detect my CMS port correctly,it just cannot import. The CMS device is in the "menu" screen, wireless is off, record is off. ( None of these things are using BT - that's a different problem.) So since I cannot get Review to get my CMS data from the device, I have a .SpO2 file that I cannot utilize in SH at all. Needless to say, this is a bummer

Assistant *does* see my device, and *does* download the .spO2 data, so I can at least get to the point of creating an Assistant report of the data. This alone is of course helpful, but not as helpful as having a log of my Resmed data along with my CMS data.

This is a very, VERY big deal for me, as it seems that my apnea is causing a lot of secondary problems with my health, not to mention all the standard ones. My Resmed data is suggesting that the OA is under control but the CA can be through the roof! Will see sleep doc this week to see if I can't get a machine that treats the CA events as well. Those have been as high as 200/night. I haven't been able to find a correlation between my high CA number nights and anything else like diet, medication, alcohol... it just ... happens. My SpO2 is also running in the high 80s at night.
So, I'm very anxious to get this under control, and I think having this apnea/SpO2 data merged will help do that.

Papit

Post by Papit » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Gasping, I know, this is a bummer. CpapWife is in a similar bind as are others who went for the FW wireless connection model. See my reply to her at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77043&p=837175#p837093 If she, anyone else or I can figure out how the 50FW can be used to upload it's pulse-ox data and graphs for inclusion in SH, I'll be happy to expand the 50E/50F instruction set. At the moment though, I don't yet have the 50FW user guide and I don't have that unit either. If you can't get proper instructions from Contec, as you need the data quickly, explain the dilemma you're in and consider asking them for a prompt exchange for the 50F. The interface of the 50F with SH is now well documented and a reliable miniUSB cable connection (the cable comes with the 50F) sure beats pulling your hair out over an as yet troublesome wireless model that costs more. I'd even let them keep the ~$15 difference if they commit to sending the 50F right away.

If you or anyone else would like to ship me your 50FW, I'll take a whack at making it work and send it back. Send me a PM for my address.

EDIT: We've added as a community WORK IN PROGRESS project two parallel efforts to develop a working CMS-50FW instruction set(s) accessible via my signature line and the following thread viewtopic/t52538/Help--Windows-7-amp-CM ... river.html

Re. your high centrals, welcome to the club. I would ask for a change of equipment to an ASV (Adaptive Servo Ventilator machines)either ResMed's S9 VPAP Adapt or PR's BiPAP Auto SV. Both get the job done. He may well go along with you as your centrals are now clearly a big front-and-center problem, but not every doc will for various "disappointing" reasons. I went through the same scenario with far higher centrals than OA but it took me a long time and another round of lab tests to get my ASV. Once I received it, I saw an immediate precipitous drop in total AHI to an average of around 2, down from 17. Lots of other folks here with high centrals have enjoyed similar dramatic improvement and just as fast. Those ASV's have some incredible technology in them.

Re. SpO2 in the high 80"s, it's something for your doc to look at, yes, but many of us here frequently see such figures without considering them "calamitous." While I'm not a doc, my thought is 87, 88, 89 is nothing to loose sleep over so long as you're also reaching well up into the 90-95 range. Consistently down near 80 or into the 70s for long durations is another matter. In any case, see if you can swap for the 50F to give you the visibility you want to have. Don't forget to fill in your equipment profile, etc. so folks here can better help out.

Last edited by Papit on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Machine: AirCurve 10 ASV, Mask: AirFit N30i

drj130

Post by drj130 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:30 pm

If I read you last post correctly Papit, you might be looking for the manual for the CMS-50FW.

I found one here: https://www.medicaltestsupply.com/v/vsp ... ms50fw.pdf

I hope that this helps some people out.

David

Look twice, save a life. You never know when you might see a motorcyclist.

Papit

Post by Papit » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:52 pm

Good, thanks. David.
drj130 wrote:If I read you last post correctly Papit, you might be looking for the manual for the CMS-50FW.

I found one here: https://www.medicaltestsupply.com/v/vsp ... ms50fw.pdf

I hope that this helps some people out.

David

karessamom

Post by karessamom » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:26 am

SUCESS! Finally! I got the pulseox data to come into the right date on SH! I named the file as papit said to do, when downloading the SpO2 data into SpOR review (Prior to that I was just letting the program name it) and when loading into SH after it comes in in the pulseox tab I made sure that the times agreed with the start time of SH (the time I started recording on the pulseox. Now when I have time i'm going to go back and rename all my SpO2 files in the same format and try to see if they come in correctly like this did. This may have been some kind of fluke but so far it's worked. Thanks Papit!

CpapWife

Post by CpapWife » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:30 pm

David, Thank you , Thank you, Thank you. That saved me time. I found one on their web site but it was not the right one.

Papit, quick glance only cause I have to get out the door soon but that looks like the right manual. The screen looks right and so does the picture that shows all the elements of the device.

Additional Comments: Invocare O2 concentrator - 3 LPM. Wife to new cpap user Sept 2008

drj130

Post by drj130 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm here to help if I can CpapWife. I'm glad that I was able to do that.

Look twice, save a life. You never know when you might see a motorcyclist.

Papit

Post by Papit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:52 am

karessamom wrote:SUCESS! Finally! I got the pulseox data to come into the right date on SH! I named the file as papit said to do, when downloading the SpO2 data into SpOR review (Prior to that I was just letting the program name it) and when loading into SH after it comes in in the pulseox tab I made sure that the times agreed with the start time of SH (the time I started recording on the pulseox. Now when I have time i'm going to go back and rename all my SpO2 files in the same format and try to see if they come in correctly like this did. This may have been some kind of fluke but so far it's worked. Thanks Papit!
You're making good progress, karessamom! How are you making out, CpapWife and Gasping? Drj130's find of the Chinese guy's instructions should help (thanks much, David) but his English translation skills reflect what others here previously received for the 50E and 50F, resulting in a lot of hair-pulling and wasted time. (So don't worry, it's not you and probably not the pulse-ox or the software.) I'll try to give his 50FW instructions the same treatment with added detail as done for the 50E and F, but do give drj's link a try if you're inclined to take another shot and don't want to wait https://www.medicaltestsupply.com/v/vsp ... ms50fw.pdf I should have a decent, more concise plain English instruction draft later today.

Papit

Post by Papit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:58 pm

CMS-50FW/SleepyHead Instructions -- WORK IN PROGRESS
-- DRAFT-- Inserting CMS-50FW Pulse-Ox Graphs into SleepyHead
Postby Papit on Tue July 23, 2013

Combining our workgroup inputs, here's an early draft operating procedure intended to clarify and enhance previously published manufacturer instructions for the use of the CMS-50FW pulse-oximeter. The 50FW can be connected to a computer optionally by using either the provided miniUSB cable (which I recommend for greater speed and reliability) or wirelessly via Bluetooth. The goal is to help new Contec CMS-50FW users acquire reliable daily access to their pulse-ox graphs in SleepyHead software time synchronized with the standard SH graphs. The steps below may be directly applicable to model 50EW as well.

If you continue to have issues obtaining your pulse-ox graphs in SleepyHead, others in the forum may provide further help if you start a new thread or you can send me a PM to discuss what may be a new issue to me.

A. Record your Pulse-Ox data over night
1. Be sure the current time in both your pulse-ox and your xpap machine are set to the same time and check that am/pm are correct and the same. Aim to set the two current time settings within a few seconds of each other if not exactly the same.
2. After readying your pulse-ox and masking up at night, turn ON both your pulse-ox and xpap machine at the same time (or within a few seconds of each other) so all SleepyHead and pulse-ox data and graphs will cover the same full sleep time period.
3. Select Record in the main menu and click ‘Yes” to turn Record ON. Leave it on all night including both during short bathroom breaks and during long breaks.
4. Insert a finger into the sensor and sleep with it all night. Switch fingers every few nights if one gets sore. (I actually made a very tiny slit in the rubber finger grip to lessen its squeeze. See other forum threads.)
5. Turn Record OFF when you awaken in the morning.

B. Import your XPAP data to Sleepyhead
1. Remove the SD Memory Card from your xpap machine and insert it into the SD card reader on your computer.
2. Open SleepyHead and click ‘Import’ to upload the xpap sleep session data from your SD card.
3. Click ‘My Computer’ at upper left on your desktop screen, right click on the drive containing the SD card, click ‘Eject’ and remove the card.
4. Return the SD card to your xpap machine and reinstall it to capture tonight's sleep data.

C. Upload and view your Pulse-Ox data
1. Turn on 'USB' in the main menu as in step A.3 above on the Pulse-Ox and connect it to a USB computer port using the provided cable. Alternatively if you wish, turn on Wireless instead (just above Record.)
2. Click the red SpO2 Assistant icon on your computer desktop to open SpO2 Assistant software. Click
3. Follow the on-screen prompts to transfer last night’s pulse-ox data to the SpO2 software and name the new data file. To precisely define 'last night's’ sleep and avoid date confusion, as a file name I use a hybrid date format (e.g., MM-dd.dd-YY) for last night/this morning's (dates) sleep data.

D. View the Pulse-Ox Reports and Graphs in the SpO2 Assistant CMS-50FW software
9. View the graphs and data and, if needed, click the Print button on the left top line to save a hardcopy for your doctor or your hardcopy file.
10. Press and hold Power off to turn OFF the Pulse-Ox (“Bye Bye!”).
11. Recharge the Pulse-Ox by either leaving it connected to your powered up computer or using the supplied Charger plugged into a standard electric wall outlet. It works with both 120 and 240 volts ac power.

E. View the Pulse Ox Reports and Graphs in SleepyHead
1. Open SleepyHead and click the 'Oximetry' tab on the right sidebar or under the View menu at top. Disregard the "No Oximetry Data" subtitle. Click the ‘Open .spo/R File’ button in the lower right. (If your newly created oximetry data file does not show up in a list of one or more files, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SpO2\Data.) Select an oximetry data file by clicking the sleep file for the date you want to view and click ‘Open’. You should now see your red Pulse Rate and blue SpO2 oximetry graphs vs. clock time.
2. Click the Save icon button just left of ‘Open .spo/R File’ button and confirm ‘Yes’ that you want to save the data.
3. Now click ‘Data’ on the very top main menu line, then click ‘Rebuild Oximetry Indices’.
4. Exit out and restart SleepyHead. Click the 'Daily' tab to view the Pulse Rate and SpO2 Oximetry graphs aligned in SleepyHead's time scale. They are at the bottom of the stack and each can be moved up by hovering your pointer directly over the graph heading (left-side); then press and hold the left mouse button and drag the graph up to your preferred position in the stack.
5. After you click the 'Daily' tab, you can click on any red dates to see pulse-ox charts for your sleep on those dates in tandem with the standard graphs.

F. Flipping the Display
If you want to invert the pulse-ox readout screen, click the large white control button. The date, time and day will be displayed. Now click the white control button twice to invert the view of the screen.

(Note: Steps A through E above need to be performed in sequence to see pulse-ox graphs and data for a selected date in SleepyHead. If the clock time setting on the Pulse-Ox and on your xpap machine do not match closely enough, you will see a notice that the pulse-ox data cannot be linked with SleepyHead. Re-sychronize the current time on the Pulse-Ox so it's the same as the time on your xpap machine. Also Note that fractured sleep sessions in SleepyHead are listed in the lower left and each can be toggled ON and OFF. User comments and suggestions are always welcome to update these instructions.)

jdr999

Post by jdr999 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm still unable to get my CMS 50F in Sleepyhead for Mac. I downloaded the driver but sleepyhead just keep giving me "Import Failed". I'm able to use Assistant in Parallels, as SPO2 Review won't read my unit. I cannot import the Assistant files into sleepyhead though, no errors but data is blank.

Ah well...

FYI here's what console has to say about it:

com.apple.kextd[12]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
com.apple.kextd[12]: Load com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver failed; removing personalities from kernel.
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver: init
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::attach
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::probe
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::detach
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::attach
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::start - Registered for Power Management
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::start!
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::start - Found device at interface 0
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::SelectInterfaces - BulkInput Pipe is 0xffffff803156f200 on EP1
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::SelectInterfaces - BulkOutput Pipe is 0xffffff80392b2d00 on EP1
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::setPowerState - Waking up
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::GetCP210xInfo - Part Number Found: 0x02
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::GetCP210xInfo - UsbConfigurationDescriptor -
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::GetCP210xInfo .bLength = 9
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::GetCP210xInfo .bDescriptorType = 0x02
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::GetCP210xInfo .wTotalLength = 32
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::GetCP210xInfo .bNumInterfaces = 1
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::GetCP210xInfo .bConfigurationValue = 1
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::GetCP210xInfo .iConfiguration = 0
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::GetCP210xInfo .bmAttributes = 0x80
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::GetCP210xInfo .MaxPower = 50
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64(0xffffff803989d000)::start - Sucessfully loaded the driver
kernel[0]: com_silabs_driver_CP210xVCPDriver64::setPowerState(0xffffff803989d000, 0 -> 1) timed out after 10119 ms

Papit

Post by Papit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:48 pm

jdr999 wrote:I'm still unable to get my CMS 50F in Sleepyhead for Mac. I downloaded the driver but sleepyhead just keep giving me "Import Failed". I'm able to use Assistant in Parallels, as SPO2 Review won't read my unit. I cannot import the Assistant files into sleepyhead though, no errors but data is blank. . . .
That's a tough one, jdr. There have been and may still be compatibility issues re. SH and the Mac. Additionally, with the 50F, SpO2 Review (not SpO2 Assistant) is the relevant software to use. If you have a PC around, you could check out your pulse-ox and use of the SpO2 Review software and be sure there are no other hardware or software issues at work here; and also get some initial readings of your oxygen desaturations.

Any Mac users here who can be informative about the model 50E and 50F compatibility with the Mac? How about the 50EW and 50FW and the Mac? The latter, btw, do use SpO2 Assistant.

jdr999

Post by jdr999 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:19 am

Papit wrote:That's a tough one, jdr. There have been and may still be compatibility issues re. SH and the Mac. Additionally, with the 50F, SpO2 Review (not SpO2 Assistant) is the relevant software to use. If you have a PC around, you could check out your pulse-ox and use of the SpO2 Review software and be sure there are no other hardware or software issues at work here; and also get some initial readings of your oxygen desaturations.
At least in my case (Parallels running XP) only Assistant is able to read my 50F. I also have Review but it won't work. There are newer versions of the software (for newer versions of windows) but I'm still running XP so that may be an issue.. Who knows?

Papit

Post by Papit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Please go back and follow my signature line hints step by step. In particular, see excerpt below. You will notice among other things that repeated references are made to SpO2 Review as the applicable software. If Review "doesn't work", then back up, 'cause ya probably done something wrong. For example, have you really checked whether you've downloaded and installed SpO2 Review for your specific pulse-ox model's firmware version? -- and for your specific operating system?
You realize, of course, that you're introducing an 'operating system' compatibility wrinkle by using a MAC superimposed by an Apple 'converter' to make it look like a PC. Such acrobatics may well be producing lots of frustrations for you with this application.

I would try all this pulse-ox work on a PC, if for no other reason than to rule out some potential causes to your difficulties AND to get some initial pulse-ox data and graphs.

"Note for PC users: If difficulties persist after using these instructions with your PC, go to 'Manuals/Downloads' at http://www.pulseoxstore.com/Manuals-Downloads.html to download and reinstall the latest SpO2 Review software for your specific Pulse-Ox firmware version and your computer's specific Operating system. MAC users: The supplied Pulse-Ox software may not as yet be compatible with the MAC."

Don't give up, jdr, you'll get there.