How to determine Good Sleep?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
colomom
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by colomom » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:49 pm

Billymadison420 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:23 pm
I have sought psychiatric help, but I don't think anyone can help me at this point.

I cannot continue to function without any energy. I cannot live like this. Thank you all for trying to help me <3
I’m so sorry you are going through all you are and understandably feel incredibly frustrated. You strike me as a brilliant, loved, and valuable person! I’m sorry you’ve struggled to find the help you need:(
My dad has BPD which think I remember you mentioning you also have had to fight against (apologize if my memory isn’t correct!).

Please reach out to your docs, family, friends, hotlines or whatever you need to get through tonight! I remember when reading your posts how much I admired your incredible self awareness and strength.
It sounds like tonight might be rough, hopefully tomorrow will be a brighter day!

_________________
MachineMask

Billymadison420
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by Billymadison420 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:06 pm

colomom wrote:
Billymadison420 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:23 pm
I have sought psychiatric help, but I don't think anyone can help me at this point.

I cannot continue to function without any energy. I cannot live like this. Thank you all for trying to help me <3
I’m so sorry you are going through all you are and understandably feel incredibly frustrated. You strike me as a brilliant, loved, and valuable person! I’m sorry you’ve struggled to find the help you need:(
My dad has BPD which think I remember you mentioning you also have had to fight against (apologize if my memory isn’t correct!).

Please reach out to your docs, family, friends, hotlines or whatever you need to get through tonight! I remember when reading your posts how much I admired your incredible self awareness and strength.
It sounds like tonight might be rough, hopefully tomorrow will be a brighter day!
Thank you so much ImageImage

I’ve been assured by every doctor I’ve seen that what I’m experiencing with fatigue is related to severe depression. I think they are right. But I also have the nasty habit of thinking there is some medical test that will show there is some easy fix.

My brain goes crazy (previously the narcolepsy, now I think MS or something). Anything to ignore what’s probably obvious with the depression.

It’s hard to believe that depression can cause this crushing fatigue. But I guess it can.

Yes BPD is probably what’s going on, or bipolar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Julie
Posts: 19495
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:58 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:30 pm

Stop diagnosing yourself or asking others to do so... see a doctor/therapist and consider that you can feel better if you go straight there and not everywhere else hoping to get 'better answers'. You know better obviously, so why drag out what's going on?

lynninnj
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:56 am

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by lynninnj » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:52 pm

Billymadison420 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:06 pm
colomom wrote:
Billymadison420 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:23 pm
I have sought psychiatric help, but I don't think anyone can help me at this point.

I cannot continue to function without any energy. I cannot live like this. Thank you all for trying to help me <3
I’m so sorry you are going through all you are and understandably feel incredibly frustrated. You strike me as a brilliant, loved, and valuable person! I’m sorry you’ve struggled to find the help you need:(
My dad has BPD which think I remember you mentioning you also have had to fight against (apologize if my memory isn’t correct!).

Please reach out to your docs, family, friends, hotlines or whatever you need to get through tonight! I remember when reading your posts how much I admired your incredible self awareness and strength.
It sounds like tonight might be rough, hopefully tomorrow will be a brighter day!
Thank you so much ImageImage

I’ve been assured by every doctor I’ve seen that what I’m experiencing with fatigue is related to severe depression. I think they are right. But I also have the nasty habit of thinking there is some medical test that will show there is some easy fix.

My brain goes crazy (previously the narcolepsy, now I think MS or something). Anything to ignore what’s probably obvious with the depression.

It’s hard to believe that depression can cause this crushing fatigue. But I guess it can.

Yes BPD is probably what’s going on, or bipolar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy, if things feel too dark please dial or text 988.

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Newbie who loves her machine!
Spare me the nitpicking. I have a serious health issue and I came here to learn to manage it by managing my OSA. Move along if you can’t be kind.

User avatar
colomom
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by colomom » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:01 pm

Billymadison420 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:06 pm
Thank you so much ImageImage

I’ve been assured by every doctor I’ve seen that what I’m experiencing with fatigue is related to severe depression. I think they are right. But I also have the nasty habit of thinking there is some medical test that will show there is some easy fix.

My brain goes crazy (previously the narcolepsy, now I think MS or something). Anything to ignore what’s probably obvious with the depression.

It’s hard to believe that depression can cause this crushing fatigue. But I guess it can.

Yes BPD is probably what’s going on, or bipolar.
I once again applaud you for your incredible self awareness! Our mind and bodies are connected, things unfortunately are often less simple than being either completely mental or physical, even if the health care system often unfortunately classifies everything as one or the other.

Whether your sleep issues are caused by depression, physical problems, or a combination of both; those are all health issues that deserve to be addressed by your doctors.

Sweet dreams, I hope you are able to find a path to better sleep soon!

_________________
MachineMask

User avatar
ozij
Posts: 9248
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:52 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by ozij » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:37 pm

Billymadison420 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:06 pm
It’s hard to believe that depression can cause this crushing fatigue. But I guess it can.
Yes, it absolutely can.
Hang in there, you can be helped, but there's no quick and easy fix.

_________________
Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: Bleep DreamPort CPAP Mask Solution
Additional Comments: Machine: AirSense??? 10 AutoSet??? For Her CPAP Machine with HumidAir??? Heated HumidifierSoftware: Oscar; alternating masks
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Billymadison420
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by Billymadison420 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:18 am

lynninnj wrote:
Billymadison420 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:06 pm
colomom wrote:
Billymadison420 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:23 pm
I have sought psychiatric help, but I don't think anyone can help me at this point.

I cannot continue to function without any energy. I cannot live like this. Thank you all for trying to help me <3
I’m so sorry you are going through all you are and understandably feel incredibly frustrated. You strike me as a brilliant, loved, and valuable person! I’m sorry you’ve struggled to find the help you need:(
My dad has BPD which think I remember you mentioning you also have had to fight against (apologize if my memory isn’t correct!).

Please reach out to your docs, family, friends, hotlines or whatever you need to get through tonight! I remember when reading your posts how much I admired your incredible self awareness and strength.
It sounds like tonight might be rough, hopefully tomorrow will be a brighter day!
Thank you so much ImageImage

I’ve been assured by every doctor I’ve seen that what I’m experiencing with fatigue is related to severe depression. I think they are right. But I also have the nasty habit of thinking there is some medical test that will show there is some easy fix.

My brain goes crazy (previously the narcolepsy, now I think MS or something). Anything to ignore what’s probably obvious with the depression.

It’s hard to believe that depression can cause this crushing fatigue. But I guess it can.

Yes BPD is probably what’s going on, or bipolar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy, if things feel too dark please dial or text 988.
I did so thank you :(


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billymadison420
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by Billymadison420 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:19 am

ozij wrote:
Billymadison420 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:06 pm
It’s hard to believe that depression can cause this crushing fatigue. But I guess it can.
Yes, it absolutely can.
Hang in there, you can be helped, but there's no quick and easy fix.
I’m hanging in. I’ll keep trying. I’m deep in the shit right now.

Thank you everyone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billymadison420
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by Billymadison420 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:08 am

Hello friends. Hope everyone is doing well.

A few things:

1. I am having a lot of leak at night with my n20 mask. Don’t know if it’s the headgear or the nasal attachment. Any thoughts? Doesn’t seem to be affecting the therapy much but I should probably fix it.

2. I am going to get evaluated by a neurologist to rule out any other causes of my extreme fatigue.

It could turn out to just be depression, like almost everyone is saying, but I’d rather do my due diligence.

I look like hell. Dark circles under my eyes. Trouble staying awake during the day. Especially from 2-7PM. The narcolepsy issue has been fully ruled out so I accept its not that. But this level of fatigue is not normal and borderline disabling.

User avatar
Julie
Posts: 19495
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:58 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:54 am

Fingers crossed for a definitive and uiseful answer. Certainly something (besides just OSA) is happening, even if 'only' depression and you need help to deal with it.

Billymadison420
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by Billymadison420 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:08 am

Julie wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:54 am
Fingers crossed for a definitive and uiseful answer. Certainly something (besides just OSA) is happening, even if 'only' depression and you need help to deal with it.

Thanks Julie.

Sadly I’m almost positive that nothing physical will come back. I won’t get answers and I will be stuck disabled and without help. This sucks.

I know I’m depressed. But depression doesn’t cause disabling fatigue. I know this because I’ve had depression my whole life. It never caused this level of exhaustion to the point of having trouble supporting my own weight. Of wanting to sleep all day everyday. I’ve never experienced that.

This is either something neurological or some sort of conversion disorder caused by someone telling me I have narcolepsy. Either way I don’t know how to change it.

I’ve been seeing an army of psychologists but I don’t feel like any of them have helped.

I’ve also tried a variety of medications and treatments including:

1. CBT/DBT/ACT
2. Wellbutrin/mirtazapine/Lithium/trileptal/Gabapentin
3. Talk therapy
4. Exercise

User avatar
Julie
Posts: 19495
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:58 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:19 am

When's the last time you saw a neurologist?

Billymadison420
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by Billymadison420 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:08 pm

Julie wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:19 am
When's the last time you saw a neurologist?
I
Maybe when I was 16. I’m 35 now.

I’m making an appointment tomorrow with the neurologist that diagnosed my moms ALS.

User avatar
Julie
Posts: 19495
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:58 pm

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:25 pm

Good idea - not that you have ALS necessarily (don't know that it's genetic) but neuros have lots more ideas re e.g. your symptoms than a GP might. Let us know how it goes!

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 31383
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: How to determine Good Sleep?

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:54 pm

Billymadison420 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:42 pm
Thank you! Re: #2 to test that theory, I did a session for 30 minutes while I was totally awake and sitting. I held my breath on purpose a few times. I got multiple CA's and OA flags. So clearly it's not perfect, and like you said, without an EEG you can't really know when you were asleep.
If you're not breathing (holding your breath), then by definition you were having apenas.

Whether they're sleep apneas or not is a different question, but as RobySue alluded to, one can often get a good idea of whether the breathing is awake breathing or asleep breathing, by looking at the breath shapes. Awake and asleep breathing typically look different on the flow rate chart.

_________________
Mask: Bleep DreamPort CPAP Mask Solution
Additional Comments: S9 VPAP Auto
Get OSCAR and come chat on IRC: #cpaptalk on irc.libera.chat

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.