Prepping for the next outage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lynninnj
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:56 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by lynninnj » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:39 pm

Grouch wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:46 pm
Never thought I'd ever say this, but good job PG&E!

They are providing FREE backup battery power stations for folks who meet certain criteria. Not bottom of the line, either. Instead it's cutting edge. The criteria that I remember off hand: Medical device user including CPAP. Must be on the PGE medical baseline tier. Were affected by a certain number safety power shutdowns. See the PGE website for details.

I qualified and got my EcoFlow Delta 1300 power station last week. This thing is a monster in a reasonably small package. 30 pounds.

It's 1260Wh with 6 1800 W (3300W surge) AC outlest and various USB including USB C. Not really a generator, but a gigantic Lithium ion battery pack with enough power to actually charge a Tesla car. OK, only for a few slow miles :D , but still pretty amazing. While I won't use this for too many other high power things, I will be able to brew a cup of coffee without using that much power. I really missed that during the outages.

It only takes an hour to charge from 0% to 80%, which is pretty amazing. To 100% it's about 1.6 hours. It has a really nice display which gives you all sorts of information.

I had been using 2 Rockpals 350 W Portable POwer stations with 2 foldable solar panels to (very slowly) charge them. I could get 2+ nights on each with my AirSense 10 by turning off the heated tube and humidifier on each unit. I did get a DC converter cord, as that uses less power than the AC.

I have an Airsense 11 on backorder. No DC converter cords yet, so will use AC. The tech who delivered the Delta said I really didnt' need to turn off the heated tube and water chamber, as this could handle quite a few nights even on AC. We'll see. I may keep the Airsense 10 until I can run the 11 on DC.

If you do think you might qualify, check it out on the PGE website. They kept emailing me and I kept blowing them off. After all, how good could it be? Turns out - very, very good!
Wow! Good for you!

I have a small propane tank I would use to make coffee using a pour over.

Unfortunately I live in New Jersey and they are offering no such things. Unfortunately I only have one machine and that is the airsense 11 and then I’ll have an adapter for DC yet.

and so I wait.

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Newbie who loves her machine!
Spare me the nitpicking. I have a serious health issue and I came here to learn to manage it by managing my OSA. Move along if you can’t be kind.

User avatar
SleepGeek
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:08 pm

I am surprised that no one has mentioned an EV - battery powered Electric Vehicle. There are plenty of them around these days. I heard that Ford F150 came out with a heavy duty one. I know I saw an EV Mustang the other day. Where will this end?

But I guess any port in a storm esp. if it will do what you need when you need it.
Happiness is being on paleriders & zonkers foe list
ChicagoGranny is Whale Road + many others
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

lynninnj
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:56 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by lynninnj » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:50 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:08 pm
I am surprised that no one has mentioned an EV - battery powered Electric Vehicle. There are plenty of them around these days. I heard that Ford F150 came out with a heavy duty one. I know I saw an EV Mustang the other day. Where will this end?

But I guess any port in a storm esp. if it will do what you need when you need it.
The f150 lightening is not out yet or very limited supply. I haven’t checked in over a month and they weren’t taking any more preorders.

If I could afford a $50,000 truck I could afford an $800 or thousand dollar back up unit.

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Newbie who loves her machine!
Spare me the nitpicking. I have a serious health issue and I came here to learn to manage it by managing my OSA. Move along if you can’t be kind.

User avatar
latskogkatt
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:30 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by latskogkatt » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:12 am

lynninnj wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:50 am
If I could afford a $50,000 truck I could afford an $800 or thousand dollar back up unit.
Can you imagine buying a truck like that just to use the battery as a backup unit for home? :lol:

_________________
Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: I switch between 4 different masks, as needed Settings: 11-20, no ramp, epr 3

Grumpy48
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 7:57 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Grumpy48 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:22 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:08 pm
I am surprised that no one has mentioned an EV - battery powered Electric Vehicle. There are plenty of them around these days. I heard that Ford F150 came out with a heavy duty one. I know I saw an EV Mustang the other day. Where will this end?

But I guess any port in a storm esp. if it will do what you need when you need it.
EV's are not 'battery' powered. The battery is simply a means to transfer power derived from another source. In New England an EV is primary powered by the fossil fuel natural gas and nuclear. Renewables only account for a small percentage of contribution and solar is only a piece of the renewables. California is only slightly better, but still uses a significant amount of natural gas for generation. The more EV's that are put into service the more natural gas (imported) will be used. Solar and wind have many, many decades to catch up as a replacement for fossil fuel if it ever can.

Image

_________________
Machine: DreamStation 2 Auto CPAP Advanced with Humidifier
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Vitera Full Face Mask with Headgear (S, M, or L Cushion)
Additional Comments: Resmed AirSense 10 Auto with Humidifier

User avatar
SleepGeek
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:50 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:50 am
The f150 lightening is not out yet or very limited supply.
It seems that many vehicles today have an AC outlet in them.

But then there is this...
viewtopic/t183110/Airsense-11-and-12-vo ... l#p1419220
Happiness is being on paleriders & zonkers foe list
ChicagoGranny is Whale Road + many others
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

lynninnj
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:56 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by lynninnj » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:30 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:50 pm
lynninnj wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:50 am
The f150 lightening is not out yet or very limited supply.
It seems that many vehicles today have an AC outlet in them.

But then there is this...
viewtopic/t183110/Airsense-11-and-12-vo ... l#p1419220
The never ending giant oissing contest is linked out from there.

I read enough to say no thanks I will err on the side of caution and wait for the engineers to provide me with an option that won’t void my warranty or ruin my machine.

I am still very concerned about the prospect of losing power and not being able to use my machine I guess I’m just gonna have to sit back and wait.

In a few months I should be able to afford a Z2. I will get the proper gear to back that up with a battery in Solar power.

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Newbie who loves her machine!
Spare me the nitpicking. I have a serious health issue and I came here to learn to manage it by managing my OSA. Move along if you can’t be kind.

User avatar
mummmz
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:06 pm
Location: USA

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by mummmz » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:57 pm

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a regular house outlet and several cigarette lighter plugins, and USB connections. Any reason I couldn't plug my AirSense 11 into the Jeep outlet?

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit™ F30 Mask + 2 Replacement Cushions Bundle
Additional Comments: Autopap Min 8.4, max 15, ramp off, flex 3, heated humidity off, O2 therapy added 5/20/22 & discontinued 8/26/22 after asthmas dx/treatment

lynninnj
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:56 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by lynninnj » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:00 pm

mummmz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:57 pm
My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a regular house outlet and several cigarette lighter plugins, and USB connections. Any reason I couldn't plug my AirSense 11 into the Jeep outlet?
I am learning that you need to have a DC to DC adapter.

It’s my understanding that without some sort of adapter is incompatible with the 12 V battery.

Someone more learned then I can correct me if I’m wrong. They usually do.

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Newbie who loves her machine!
Spare me the nitpicking. I have a serious health issue and I came here to learn to manage it by managing my OSA. Move along if you can’t be kind.

User avatar
mummmz
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:06 pm
Location: USA

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by mummmz » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:11 pm

The outlet in the Jeep is an inverter. From a few minutes of research it looks like the battery might die using a cpap all night.

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit™ F30 Mask + 2 Replacement Cushions Bundle
Additional Comments: Autopap Min 8.4, max 15, ramp off, flex 3, heated humidity off, O2 therapy added 5/20/22 & discontinued 8/26/22 after asthmas dx/treatment

lynninnj
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:56 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by lynninnj » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:39 pm

mummmz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:11 pm
The outlet in the Jeep is an inverter. From a few minutes of research it looks like the battery might die using a cpap all night.
if it works at all

the AS11 is 24v not 12v

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Newbie who loves her machine!
Spare me the nitpicking. I have a serious health issue and I came here to learn to manage it by managing my OSA. Move along if you can’t be kind.

User avatar
SleepGeek
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:35 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:39 pm
mummmz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:11 pm
The outlet in the Jeep is an inverter. From a few minutes of research it looks like the battery might die using a cpap all night.
if it works at all

the AS11 is 24v not 12v
If you use the Resmed AC adapter there should not be any problem.
Happiness is being on paleriders & zonkers foe list
ChicagoGranny is Whale Road + many others
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Iamstumped
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 2:56 am
Location: Kansas City, Mo.

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Iamstumped » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:22 pm

mummmz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:57 pm
My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a regular house outlet and several cigarette lighter plugins, and USB connections. Any reason I couldn't plug my AirSense 11 into the Jeep outlet?
Vehicles with a 110V plug-in, has an inverter built in.
As long as you occasionally start the engine to keep the battery charged up, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot run your machine from the vehicle's 110v outlet.
The vehicles battery powers the inverter, the inverter powers the 110v outlet, which will power your machine.

Grumpy48
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 7:57 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Grumpy48 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:01 pm

Iamstumped wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:22 pm
mummmz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:57 pm
My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a regular house outlet and several cigarette lighter plugins, and USB connections. Any reason I couldn't plug my AirSense 11 into the Jeep outlet?
Vehicles with a 110V plug-in, has an inverter built in.
As long as you occasionally start the engine to keep the battery charged up, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot run your machine from the vehicle's 110v outlet.
The vehicles battery powers the inverter, the inverter powers the 110v outlet, which will power your machine.
Perhaps the only caution using the vehicles inverter is if to enable and power the inverter, the vehicle is in a state that theft of the vehicle could occur while one is sleeping.

_________________
Machine: DreamStation 2 Auto CPAP Advanced with Humidifier
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Vitera Full Face Mask with Headgear (S, M, or L Cushion)
Additional Comments: Resmed AirSense 10 Auto with Humidifier

Really
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:27 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Really » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:17 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:01 pm
Iamstumped wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:22 pm
mummmz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:57 pm
My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a regular house outlet and several cigarette lighter plugins, and USB connections. Any reason I couldn't plug my AirSense 11 into the Jeep outlet?
Vehicles with a 110V plug-in, has an inverter built in.
As long as you occasionally start the engine to keep the battery charged up, there is absolutely no reason why you cannot run your machine from the vehicle's 110v outlet.
The vehicles battery powers the inverter, the inverter powers the 110v outlet, which will power your machine.
Perhaps the only caution using the vehicles inverter is if to enable and power the inverter, the vehicle is in a state that theft of the vehicle could occur while one is sleeping.
Is that to mean that an empty vehicle is not at risk to be stolen?
No Whining Really