Prepping for the next outage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Grumpy48
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 7:57 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Grumpy48 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:21 am

I have something similar, but I wouldn't bother with solar as the charging power is not all that much. Haven't needed to use it for CPAP, but wouldn't hesitate if I needed to. I have used it for power outages for other purposes and it works well. It will power an acoustic guitar amplifier for a couple hours when I wanted to play amplified with no AC Power nearby. Can also charge a phone if need be.

Jackery 'battery generator' with solar panel.....

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Generato ... B08LDBSGM5

Great Battery
By Tony S. on December 26, 2020 Firstly this is not a generator, it does not create power. It is a battery, it stores power.
As other reviewers have said this thing works great for what it is designed to do. I have used it to power my CPAP machine without turning off the humidifier mode and it lasted about 5 hours which is about right considering the CPAP was using about 50 watts an hour (50w x 5 = 250w). If that is your purpose then turn off the humidifier and it should last a whole night if needed. I have also used it while it was plugged in and it powered my CPAP and charged itself at the same time.
I also purchased the 60w solar panels for charging it. It did charge, but it really depends on the sun light you have for how long it will take. I would recommend the 100w panels if you are serious about solar charging. They won’t take as long to charge the battery. That is if you have plenty of sun light to use. This battery is great for charging things like your phones or powering items that don’t draw a lot of power. Just remember it only stores about 240 watts of power so you can’t plug something in that uses 100 watts of power and expect it to work all night because you will only get about 2 ½ hours at best if it is fully charged. see less

Ready for power outages.
By Regular Guy on April 20, 2022 A fairly new CPAP machine runs all night on one charge. One CPAP draws it down to about 25%. The AC output is really handy. Using AC it can run my desktop computer & monitor for a couple of hours. I ran a ceiling fan all night last July, when my power went out. I own 5 battery packs & 2 solar chargers. After considering all I had for power was 2 solar chargers for AA & AAA batteries I realized I badly needed something more, I've watched a very positive YouTube video online of someone dis-assembling and analyzing the quality of a Jackery power pack. I'm satisfied that I'm much better prepared now that I have some back-up power for my devices beyond anything that takes AA or AAA batteries!

_________________
Machine: DreamStation 2 Auto CPAP Advanced with Humidifier
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Vitera Full Face Mask with Headgear (S, M, or L Cushion)
Additional Comments: Resmed AirSense 10 Auto with Humidifier

User avatar
Dog Slobber
Posts: 3564
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:05 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:48 am

lynninnj wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:48 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:14 pm
Missing critical thing…….some way to change the 12 volt from the battery to 24 volt that your machine MUST have to work at all.
Ok- so the fancy 12v-12v converter thingy they haven’t invented yet.

Grrrr

thanks
It's not a 12v to 12v converter, it's a DC-DC converter.

The AirMini DC-DC converter (65W) works fine with Air11. It meets the same specs as the Air11 power supply: The AirMini / Air11 power connector has a unique design. The AirMini power connector port has one corner cut, the Air 11 has two corners cut. This design allows adapters that are compatible with both to be used (such as the 65 watt DC-DC converter and 65 watt AC Adapter). But, will prevent an under-capacity power supplies from being used in the Air11 (such as the 20 watt AirMini power supply)

Here is a YouTube video where CPAP Reviews' Nicko, shows the slight difference between connectors. He completely botches the actual explanation of the cut corners. Instead, explaining as a conspiracy theory, design feature, that prevents interoperability between accessories. When in fact, it's a design feature that allows compatible accessories to work, while preventing incompatible accessories from being used. He completely blew it, but gets lots of clicks.


Nicko, completely blowing facts, opting for clickbate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFjt6Xb0eQ


So, yes, it has been invented, it just hasn't been marketed and labeled correctly. Understandable, given the supply problem with Air11 accessories, in what appears to be a product hurried to market to fill a substantial gap because of the philips recall.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob K
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Rob K » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:25 am

You may get more feedback from those using an Airsense 11 on battery power if you change the title of the thread. Maybe something like "Running Airsense 11 on battery" or " Battery for Airsense 11?" Someone has to have been through all this with the same machine your using.

I looked up the specifications for the Airsense 11. The output of the ac power supply for the machine is rated at 24volts x 2.71amps = 65watts. Actual power used will be less depending on your settings. The power supply takes the ac power from the wall and converts it to 24volts dc to run the machine so the most efficient way to run your machine is to get a 24v battery and a cord(if one is available) to connect from the battery to the machine. And a battery charger specific to the type of battery you purchase.

If you don't have a 24v battery then you will need something that converts your battery voltage to 24v. If you have a 12v battery you will need a 12v to 24v converter. It sounds like Resmed maybe hasn't made a converter? It is possible there is a converter already made that may work, it would need to match and plug into the jack on the pap machine.

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ N10 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Resmed F10 Mask for colds. When camping on battery power I use P10 mask and PR 560p machine.
Last edited by Rob K on Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob K
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Rob K » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:48 am

It looks like there are cables available online to connect the Airsense 11 to various batteries, you would need that cable. Then you can use an adapter if needed to connect the cable to whatever 24v battery you have. You also could use the cable to connect to any aftermarket dc to dc converter, if the connectors didn't match you would need an adapter. The Airmini dc converter appears to have the same connector as the Airsense 11, I wonder if they are compatible?

Edit: Resmed claims the Airmini converter is not compatible with any other Resmed devices. I guess if they make proprietary cords, converters, adapters, power supplies than that forces you to buy their products. Keeps people from damaging their machines I suppose and they sell more items. Nice how they put the fear in you about using products other than Resmed. Might just be a tactic to get you to buy their stuff or to cover any liabilities. Seems like their connectors keep getting more and more proprietary with each new edition.

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ N10 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Resmed F10 Mask for colds. When camping on battery power I use P10 mask and PR 560p machine.
Last edited by Rob K on Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Grumpy48
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 7:57 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Grumpy48 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:50 am

Or two 12v batteries in series to achieve 24v with appropriate cable/connector. Inline fuse would be recommended also.

_________________
Machine: DreamStation 2 Auto CPAP Advanced with Humidifier
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Vitera Full Face Mask with Headgear (S, M, or L Cushion)
Additional Comments: Resmed AirSense 10 Auto with Humidifier

Rob K
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Rob K » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:03 am

Grumpy48 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:50 am
Or two 12v batteries in series to achieve 24v with appropriate cable/connector. Inline fuse would be recommended also.
yes forgot about that option

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ N10 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Resmed F10 Mask for colds. When camping on battery power I use P10 mask and PR 560p machine.

lynninnj
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:56 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by lynninnj » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:48 am
lynninnj wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:48 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:14 pm
Missing critical thing…….some way to change the 12 volt from the battery to 24 volt that your machine MUST have to work at all.
Ok- so the fancy 12v-12v converter thingy they haven’t invented yet.

Grrrr

thanks
It's not a 12v to 12v converter, it's a DC-DC converter.

The AirMini DC-DC converter (65W) works fine with Air11. It meets the same specs as the Air11 power supply: The AirMini / Air11 power connector has a unique design. The AirMini power connector port has one corner cut, the Air 11 has two corners cut. This design allows adapters that are compatible with both to be used (such as the 65 watt DC-DC converter and 65 watt AC Adapter). But, will prevent an under-capacity power supplies from being used in the Air11 (such as the 20 watt AirMini power supply)

Here is a YouTube video where CPAP Reviews' Nicko, shows the slight difference between connectors. He completely botches the actual explanation of the cut corners. Instead, explaining as a conspiracy theory, design feature, that prevents interoperability between accessories. When in fact, it's a design feature that allows compatible accessories to work, while preventing incompatible accessories from being used. He completely blew it, but gets lots of clicks.


Nicko, completely blowing facts, opting for clickbate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFjt6Xb0eQ


So, yes, it has been invented, it just hasn't been marketed and labeled correctly. Understandable, given the supply problem with Air11 accessories, in what appears to be a product hurried to market to fill a substantial gap because of the philips recall.
Much gratitude for this. I actually specifically recall Nick discussing it and it is believable considering the proprietary desire/nature of the Resmed biz as I have seen so far in some items (i.e. you need an adapter for a regular mask with the mini so I get it they want to make their money). Seeing how apple wants you to buy everything apple, I didn't think it was a far fetched conspiracy but I am glad that they have an actual reason for that.

I will read up on that connector issue thread when I get a bit of time. Thanks. It shouldn't be that hard for the electronics geeks to come up with the properly matched items.

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Newbie who loves her machine!
Spare me the nitpicking. I have a serious health issue and I came here to learn to manage it by managing my OSA. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Rob K
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Rob K » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:05 pm

So the 65w Air mini dc to dc converter is compatible with the Airsense 11. I suspected so even through Resmed claims it is not. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

You can use the Air Mini dc to dc converter if you want to run on a 12v source. There are also adapter cables available to connect the Airsense 11 to various 24v batteries so you have some options. Sounds like you figured that stuff out already. Please excuse me since I'm just getting up to speed on the Airsense 11.

Getting to batteries, there are a lot of options depending on what you want and these are the most popular types listed from lowest to highest cost:
1- Standard flooded deep cycle lead acid batteries - Used in a lot of things over the years and the least expensive. Discharge to only 50% for longevity. These will work but there are better options for running pap machines these days in my opinion.
2- Deep cycle AGM lead acid battery - A heavy duty longer life version of the lead acid battery. Sealed unit that can be installed in any position. I read they can be discharged 80% but 50% is recommended for longer life. The heaviest of all the batteries I'll list.
3- Lithium Iron Phosphate(LiFePo4) - Considerably lighter than lead acid batteries and much longer life span. Good compromise between extra heavy lead acid and lightweight lithium batteries. Can be discharged to 80-90%, some manufactures of high quality units even claim 100% discharge while still maintaining good battery life. Actually the longest life battery on the list.
4- Lithium batteries - Several types available which are very lightweight compared to past battery technologies, lightest of all listed. Most costly to purchase. Can be discharged 100% but 80% is recommended for longevity.

I don't have personal experience with all these types but have read a lot to know generally how they all work.

You can buy a simple battery, cables and a charger to run your pap machine. There are other products on the market that will also run your machine. Things like power stations, power banks, jump starters, generators, uninterruptible power supplies and more. You'll have to decide what your needs are and if you want something dedicated for your pap machine or if you want to use the power source for other things. Maybe you want to power several things in your home, rv or camp.

As far as charging your batteries there are a lot of options, really depends on what you choose to run your machine with. You can use a charger that plugs into the ac power from your wall, solar panels, vehicle charging, etc. You can even charge your smaller battery from a larger battery or bank of batteries.

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ N10 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Resmed F10 Mask for colds. When camping on battery power I use P10 mask and PR 560p machine.
Last edited by Rob K on Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
Dog Slobber
Posts: 3564
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:05 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:07 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:29 pm
I actually specifically recall Nick discussing it and it is believable considering the proprietary desire/nature of the Resmed biz as I have seen so far in some items (i.e. you need an adapter for a regular mask with the mini so I get it they want to make their money).
Yes it is believable, but that doesn't make it correct.

If you want to disregard the actual evidence than go right ahead.

Facts:
  • The power supply on the AirMini is 20 watts
  • AirMini's draw much lower power because they don't have heated humidifiers nor heated hoses
  • If an AirMini power supply [20 watt] is plugged into an Air11, which can draw up to 65 watts; something is going to go poof, and somebody's not going to have a CPAP usage and an expensive bill.
  • the AirMini (marketed) DC-DC converter is 65 watts and does fit and work in the Air11. (so much for Nicko's conspiracy therory)
The AirMini power supply which Nick's click-bate video complains doesn't fit into the Air11, doesn't fit, because it shouldn't fit. Nick doesn't understand this, and apparently you don't either. But you consider it believable because....... Apple wants you to buy everything Apple, and AirMini has proprietary masks, and Nicko's on YouTube.

BTW, there is a very good reason why AirMini has a different Mask System. And it has nothing to do with stopping AirMinis from using non-AirMini masks. It's to prevent AirMini masks from being used on regular CPAPs. AirMini masks don't have venting, they are dependent on vent behind the humidX.

Without venting people die.

I don't like how ResMed handled their AirMini mask design. But it has nothing to do with being proprietary for market-share.

User avatar
zonker
Posts: 9801
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by zonker » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:10 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:07 pm

BTW, there is a very good reason why AirMini has a different Mask System. And it has nothing to do with stopping AirMinis from using non-AirMini masks. It's to prevent AirMini masks from being used on regular CPAPs. AirMini masks don't have venting, they are dependent on vent behind the humidX.

<GASP> i did NOT know this. i'm not even sure if i've read it in any airmini thread posted on forum.

very useful info, sir.

eta: heh heh heh. "gasp"
"the world is full of good people. if you can't find one, be one."-sleepgeek(avatar)

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints
The sinners are much more fun
You know that only the good die young"-billy joel

User avatar
SleepGeek
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:53 pm

Rob K wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:48 am
Then you can use an adapter if needed to connect the cable to whatever 24v battery you have.
Rob K wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:25 am
If you don't have a 24v battery then you will need something that converts your battery voltage to 24v. If you have a 12v battery you will need a 12v to 24v converter.
All of the previous Resmed DC adapters converted 12V to 24V within the adapter. I expect the AS11 DC adapter will do the very same thing. And it will also have a fuse. Kinda like the Air-Mini.
Happiness is being on paleriders & zonkers foe list
ChicagoGranny is Whale Road + many others
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Rob K
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Rob K » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:15 pm

I just ordered a cable for $7 that will connect my Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto to my Renogy GP14 72000mah power bank. When I get it I give it a test and see how long it lasts at my settings.

From what I've read the Airsense 11 with 65watt power supply is a more efficient machine and uses less power than the Airsense 10 with it's 90watt power supply. My machine won't be a direct comparison for the test compared to your machine. Your machine should run longer on the same battery in theory depending on your settings. Really the best person to answer your questions is someone that has ran the Airsense 11 on battery power. I'll help in any way that I can even though it may be a round about way.

What is your pressure set to?

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ N10 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Resmed F10 Mask for colds. When camping on battery power I use P10 mask and PR 560p machine.

lynninnj
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:56 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by lynninnj » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:09 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:07 pm
lynninnj wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:29 pm
I actually specifically recall Nick discussing it and it is believable considering the proprietary desire/nature of the Resmed biz as I have seen so far in some items (i.e. you need an adapter for a regular mask with the mini so I get it they want to make their money).
Yes it is believable, but that doesn't make it correct.

If you want to disregard the actual evidence than go right ahead.

Facts:
  • The power supply on the AirMini is 20 watts
  • AirMini's draw much lower power because they don't have heated humidifiers nor heated hoses
  • If an AirMini power supply [20 watt] is plugged into an Air11, which can draw up to 65 watts; something is going to go poof, and somebody's not going to have a CPAP usage and an expensive bill.
  • the AirMini (marketed) DC-DC converter is 65 watts and does fit and work in the Air11. (so much for Nicko's conspiracy therory)
The AirMini power supply which Nick's click-bate video complains doesn't fit into the Air11, doesn't fit, because it shouldn't fit. Nick doesn't understand this, and apparently you don't either. But you consider it believable because....... Apple wants you to buy everything Apple, and AirMini has proprietary masks, and Nicko's on YouTube.

BTW, there is a very good reason why AirMini has a different Mask System. And it has nothing to do with stopping AirMinis from using non-AirMini masks. It's to prevent AirMini masks from being used on regular CPAPs. AirMini masks don't have venting, they are dependent on vent behind the humidX.

Without venting people die.

I don't like how ResMed handled their AirMini mask design. But it has nothing to do with being proprietary for market-share.
Dude- my finding it believable that a company would make proprietary stuff is me expressing my general cynicism of big business.

jftr I have no doubt that someone on the internet made it work. Possible as well the scenario you described would work.

A week ago I called and asked about using with power bank/generator and if they had the dc-dc adapter at resmed and was told that it hadn’t been produced yet by the engineers. So please don’t mistake my waiting for them to say “Ok this is the one!” to avoid a scenario such as the one above.

Not sure if I should be listening to cust service of the manufacturer or you but no offense I am leaning towards them. No need to take that personally.

I also understand your frustration with Nick.

I get the impression you feel that my earnest attempt to listen and learn are somehow snark or pushback. I consider it the sort of banter you might have in a face to face conversation and would hope to be treated the same in return.

You never wasted your time with me. I am still learning.

Thank you for the informative post. When I call customer service again soon I will ask specifically about the scenario you mentioned to see what they have to say.

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Newbie who loves her machine!
Spare me the nitpicking. I have a serious health issue and I came here to learn to manage it by managing my OSA. Move along if you can’t be kind.

lynninnj
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:56 am

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by lynninnj » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:17 pm

Rob K wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:15 pm
I just ordered a cable for $7 that will connect my Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto to my Renogy GP14 72000mah power bank. When I get it I give it a test and see how long it lasts at my settings.

From what I've read the Airsense 11 with 65watt power supply is a more efficient machine and uses less power than the Airsense 10 with it's 90watt power supply. My machine won't be a direct comparison for the test compared to your machine. Your machine should run longer on the same battery in theory depending on your settings. Really the best person to answer your questions is someone that has ran the Airsense 11 on battery power. I'll help in any way that I can even though it may be a round about way.

What is your pressure set to?
IIRC its 7-14 range.

I wish I had a backup unit even if its a travel unit. Until I get backup everything I will be very cautious and concerned about not having something to run daily.

This thing really is my lifeline.

For a lot more reasons than people might think.

Thank you for the courteous and informed response. I welcome any insights you were willing to provide after you get all your parts together.

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Newbie who loves her machine!
Spare me the nitpicking. I have a serious health issue and I came here to learn to manage it by managing my OSA. Move along if you can’t be kind.

User avatar
Grouch
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:57 am
Location: Beautiful Santa Cruz Mountains

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by Grouch » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:46 pm

Never thought I'd ever say this, but good job PG&E!

They are providing FREE backup battery power stations for folks who meet certain criteria. Not bottom of the line, either. Instead it's cutting edge. The criteria that I remember off hand: Medical device user including CPAP. Must be on the PGE medical baseline tier. Were affected by a certain number safety power shutdowns. See the PGE website for details.

I qualified and got my EcoFlow Delta 1300 power station last week. This thing is a monster in a reasonably small package. 30 pounds.

It's 1260Wh with 6 1800 W (3300W surge) AC outlest and various USB including USB C. Not really a generator, but a gigantic Lithium ion battery pack with enough power to actually charge a Tesla car. OK, only for a few slow miles :D , but still pretty amazing. While I won't use this for too many other high power things, I will be able to brew a cup of coffee without using that much power. I really missed that during the outages.

It only takes an hour to charge from 0% to 80%, which is pretty amazing. To 100% it's about 1.6 hours. It has a really nice display which gives you all sorts of information.

I had been using 2 Rockpals 350 W Portable POwer stations with 2 foldable solar panels to (very slowly) charge them. I could get 2+ nights on each with my AirSense 10 by turning off the heated tube and humidifier on each unit. I did get a DC converter cord, as that uses less power than the AC.

I have an Airsense 11 on backorder. No DC converter cords yet, so will use AC. The tech who delivered the Delta said I really didnt' need to turn off the heated tube and water chamber, as this could handle quite a few nights even on AC. We'll see. I may keep the Airsense 10 until I can run the 11 on DC.

If you do think you might qualify, check it out on the PGE website. They kept emailing me and I kept blowing them off. After all, how good could it be? Turns out - very, very good!

_________________
Mask: ResMed AirFit™ F20 Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: CPAP since 2011, Pressure 13-17cm, SleepyHead