New CPAP- from China?!?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
1sleepyhubby
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:10 pm

New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by 1sleepyhubby » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:32 pm

Hello all-

In the process of getting a new CPAP, finally through all the insurance hoops and jumps. Got the call to come get the new machine set up, and found out instead of the ResMed AutoSet anticipated, they have a "substitute" machine that came from China. Because of the recall, they say they can't get their hands on Resmeds, and instead have an equivalent APAP they are suggesting we take. They said it was a "ResFit" but when I googled it, it only showed me some type of ozone cleaner. We've only ever had one machine before this one, and it was a DreamStation 1. Anyone else experience this? Should we run or is this pretty standard? Part of me says that insurance wouldn't pay for it if it didn't work the same, but this is a long term investment and something we're counting on to make life better. Advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated so we can decide how to proceed.

User avatar
Deborah K.
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:15 pm

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by Deborah K. » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:02 pm

I would tell them no, and to put you on the list for a Resmed AirSense 10 as soon as they are in stock. You know the Resmeds are good. You would only be guessing on a Chinese machine.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Bleep mask system

User avatar
LSAT
Posts: 12604
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:11 am
Location: SE Wisconsin

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by LSAT » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:13 pm

Do you mean ResVent? While the Resvent iBreeze machine is not currently FDA approved, the FDA has granted Emergency Use Authorization to use the Resvent iBreeze during the COVID-19 pandemic. Personally, I wouldn't accept it.


https://www.thecpapshop.com/ibreezetm-a ... 20Machines
oscar -
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset 12/20
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FF

User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 59920
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:26 pm

1sleepyhubby wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:32 pm
Part of me says that insurance wouldn't pay for it if it didn't work the same
Actually insurance companies have zero idea what brand or model machine gets dispensed.
Insurance companies pay by HCPCS billing codes and not by specific brand or model.
It's always been that way....and they pay the same amount no matter the brand, model or wholesale cost to the DME.

DMEs will "sell/dispense" whatever they can get their hands on and costs them the least amount of money because that means they make more money. Surprise, surprise.

Most likely the machine they got from China was a RESmart ...maybe this model or maybe the fixed pressure model.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmar ... b-products
Retail price is less than half what the comparable ResMed AirSense 10 is....doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the wholesale cost is a lot less.

Now as for them telling you ResFit....pretty sad when they don't know proper names for the stuff they sell.
Does a lot to instill confidence...doesn't it?
Mask: Bleep no headgear mask.. https://bleepsleep.com/
Machine: AirCurve 10 VAuto

I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

Aretino
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by Aretino » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:52 pm

Just say no
Resmed Aircurve 10 ST, Dreamstation 1, Remstar.
Mirage Swift II

User avatar
chunkyfrog
Posts: 31674
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: in a nice, moist, Nebraska bog

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:09 pm

Aretino wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:52 pm
Just say no
I would say "HELL NO!"
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset FOR HER, p10 mask

1sleepyhubby
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by 1sleepyhubby » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:44 am

A bump to ask about another machine. After we told the China machine store no thanks, they encouraged us to check around town and see if anyone else had any luck because they had no clue when they’d see a ResMed again. After calling around and being laughed at with my question by some, one shop said they’re getting Luna machines in. A quick google showed up a machine with a lot of positive reviews. But I wanted to check here with the experts…is that a machine you would accept as a substitute for a resmed? Thanks again

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 12057
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:47 am

1sleepyhubby wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:44 am
one shop said they’re getting Luna machines
Not supported by OSCAR!
1sleepyhubby wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:32 pm
In the process of getting a new CPAP
Is there a reason that you can't wait until ResMed catches up with the demand?

D.H.
Posts: 3283
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by D.H. » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:49 pm

I really have a general distrust of Chinese products. However, considering Philips track record, how much worse can it be?

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 12057
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:27 am

D.H. wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:49 pm
I really have a general distrust of Chinese products.
Yet you have a laser printer, a juicer, a Roomba, Kitchenaid appliances, a Whirlpool refrigerator, a Cuisinart stainless steel pot collection, a Conair hairdryer, a Timex Peanuts watch, an Apple watch, a Baby Yoda figurine, a leaf rake, a hoe, two filing cabinets, a weapons safe, a bicycle, two pairs of shoes, two cars full of chips, and two 36 Mega roll packs of toilet tissue. :mrgreen:

1sleepyhubby
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by 1sleepyhubby » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:55 am

Hesitant to wait simply because the machine is old and without it, there is no sleep. He's still using the DS1, but the latch on the humidifier is less than tight, and sometimes there's little floaty particles in the water chamber. The only backup machine we have is a very old inherited straight CPAP that hasn't been tested in about 4 years, so we're just anxious about having something new to keep going.

Janknitz
Posts: 7819
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by Janknitz » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:38 pm

Our hosts at CPAP.com have them in stock. The price is about 30% more than it was before the recall of Philips machines. But their website says "order ships today if placed by 4 p.m. PST." Now, maybe you'll get a different story if you actually order one from there, but this at least suggests that they are in stock. But it would be out of pocket if you are on Medicare and most insurances.

Have you checked eBay and FB marketplace for a used one?
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

User avatar
theladymay
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:03 pm

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by theladymay » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:17 pm

The horrible DME my sleep lab chose for me was going to send me a ResVent IBreeze instead of the AirSense 10. Thankfully my younger adult daughter loves me a lot so I was able to turn it down because she bought me the ResMed from Hart Medical where there is a 20% off code that does work for the machine as well as the accessories - so total with mask etc it was 800$. This was about a month ago. I called them first to be certain that the "in stock" was accurate. It was, we ordered on a Friday afternoon and had it on Thursday morning. They can't do DME service in my state but that's okay with me. I needed to machine before I could have surgery and had already waited since the end of September!
Oh, the code if you need is RESMED20
ResMed AirSense Autoset 10
ResMed P10 and/or ResMed F30

User avatar
SleepyCPAP
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:01 am

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by SleepyCPAP » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:18 am

Would the DME agree on month-to-month rental (Medicare reimbursable maybe) until their supply of ResMeds return? Then they’d switch you to ResMed (either Airsense 10 AutoSet or Airsense 11 Autoset)?

Since you say the DS1 has been exposed to ozone, and you’re seeing “floaty particles” in the humidifier (which also won’t latch right), I can see why you are rushing for something to use.

A long time ago I had to return a machine, due to noise, and used a dumb brick M-Series CPAP for a few weeks to keep going. I had no data to read, but I knew with the same settings I was likely getting adequate treatment for my obstructive sleep apnea in those weeks. It is better than nothing to go with what’s at hand, but not worth buying what you won’t want long term.

Or yes, as recommended above, pay on your own from our hosts, CPAP.COM, or a used/refurbished ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset (plain or “For Her”) from SecondWindCPAP.com (I bought my VAuto from them, it was very low hours).

- SleepyCPAP
-- SleepyCPAP
Sleep study in 2010 (11cm CPAP). Adjusted to 10cm with pillows (Swift FX>TAP PAP >Bleep). PRS1 “Pro” 450/460 until recall, now Aircurve 10 VAuto. Tape mouth. Palatal Prolapse solved by AlaxoStent.

HairyReasoner
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Re: New CPAP- from China?!?

Post by HairyReasoner » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:46 pm

I saw these online and was tempted by it. I didn't know it was from China or that it was only approved by the FDA under an EUA, but I knew it was a new brand I'd never heard of. Wanting something more known and proven, plus the fact I wanted something supported by OSCAR, made me realize I had to get a Resmed Aircurve 10. The Resmed appears to be a good machine. I did have a little bit of an adjustment to it because it has a bit more agressive alogrithm. But once I adjusted to it, it seems to be producing lower AHI numbers.

My only concern about the Resmed is what will happen in a power failure. When turned off, it seems to shut down the airflow much faster than the my DS1 did, and when it shuts down my airway slams shut--even when I'm awake and expecting it it's hard to control. I don't know if it somehow creates a momentary vacuum or if it just shuts down faster than the valve in my mask can open, but I'm concerned if the power fails while I'm in a deep sleep my airway will slam shut, and I'll wake up really gagging. Other than that, I recommend the Resmed.