CPAP BATTERIES

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RichSleepWell!!
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:41 am

CPAP BATTERIES

Post by RichSleepWell!! » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 am

I"m going to be traveling to isolated areas in Africa that will not have electricity at night. I'm currently using a Philips RESPIRONICS REMstar Pro. Question: Is their a machine that is better to use with batteries and are there batteries that are easy to charge and provide a reasonable useable length of time?

RocketBeaglesSam
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:05 pm

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by RocketBeaglesSam » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:22 pm

I had a CPAP machine go crazy and then kaput that was on a battery back up. Tech support said using a UPS with their machine was a no no. I think it is because most inverters produce almost square waves instead of a pure sine wave. The machine was a Philips Respironics REMstar Auto. That said, my replacement machine which is also a Philips Respironics REMstar Auto has been on a battery backup and I use it on batteries while camping with out any further issues.

For battery I use a Greenworks 288Wh 80V battery. Greenworks also makes a power inverter to go with that battery. It will last me at least two nights. It's big, its heavy, and the charger is not small either. You might want to look into one of the smaller medical batteries on a place like cpap.com and a solar setup to charge it. If you are going to be flying, there are restrictions on how large of a battery you can bring on board. Keep an eye out for that also.

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 30243
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:47 pm

RocketBeaglesSam wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:22 pm
I had a CPAP machine go crazy and then kaput that was on a battery back up. Tech support said using a UPS with their machine was a no no. I think it is because most inverters produce almost square waves instead of a pure sine wave.
Modern (made in the last 11 years) CPAPsdo not care about modified sine wave power, they have the same kind of power supplies that the computers you use the UPSs on have, the first thing they do is turn that modified square wave into DC anyway.
RocketBeaglesSam wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:22 pm
The machine was a Philips Respironics REMstar Auto. That said, my replacement machine which is also a Philips Respironics REMstar Auto has been on a battery backup and I use it on batteries while camping with out any further issues.
That says nothing about what machine is is, since Respironics slapped "remstar" on everything up till the dreamstations came along.

Using any sort of inverter will drastically decrease the runtime, because they're not very efficient.
Get OSCAR and come chat on IRC: #cpaptalk on irc.libera.chat

Accounts to put on the foe list: mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They're often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 30243
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:20 pm

RichSleepWell!! wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 am
I"m going to be traveling to isolated areas in Africa that will not have electricity at night. I'm currently using a Philips RESPIRONICS REMstar Pro. Question: Is their a machine that is better to use with batteries and are there batteries that are easy to charge and provide a reasonable useable length of time?
We'd need to know which "remstar pro" machine you're talking about.

look on the bottom for a model or REF number and tell us what it is.
Get OSCAR and come chat on IRC: #cpaptalk on irc.libera.chat

Accounts to put on the foe list: mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They're often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

User avatar
lcunningham8332
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:37 pm

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by lcunningham8332 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:11 pm

I recently purchased the F&P Sleepstyle Auto. This is the first cpap ive had that i couldnt run on a regular cpap battery. I have NO IDEA what i need to buy for a battery backup as we lose the power often in the winter, in my area. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to look for? Name, link etc.. i have absolutly no clue, and am being managed by my Family Practice Dr and not a sleep company.
Thanks for you your help~! :D

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 11768
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:22 pm

lcunningham8332 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:11 pm
I recently purchased the F&P Sleepstyle Auto. This is the first cpap ive had that i couldnt run on a regular cpap battery. I have NO IDEA what i need to buy for a battery backup as we lose the power often in the winter, in my area. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to look for? Name, link etc.. i have absolutly no clue, and am being managed by my Family Practice Dr and not a sleep company.
Thanks for you your help~! :D
Here is the F&P battery guide - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... +Guide.pdf

You want a mobility scooter battery, not a marine battery.

User avatar
lcunningham8332
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:37 pm

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by lcunningham8332 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:40 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:22 pm
lcunningham8332 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:11 pm
I recently purchased the F&P Sleepstyle Auto. This is the first cpap ive had that i couldnt run on a regular cpap battery. I have NO IDEA what i need to buy for a battery backup as we lose the power often in the winter, in my area. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to look for? Name, link etc.. i have absolutly no clue, and am being managed by my Family Practice Dr and not a sleep company.
Thanks for you your help~! :D
Here is the F&P battery guide - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... +Guide.pdf

You want a mobility scooter battery, not a marine battery.
Thanks, i have seen that info before, but I dont know how to decipher it. I dont understand what that means.

User avatar
Julie
Posts: 18942
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: Canada E.

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:53 pm

What part is the problem?

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 11768
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:17 am

lcunningham8332 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:11 pm
I recently purchased the F&P Sleepstyle Auto.
Please specify the model number. There are at least three different models. In fact, you should put the machine name and model number and mask model in the signature field of your profile. It will then show with each of your posts and comments.
lcunningham8332 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:40 pm
i have seen that info before, but I dont know how to decipher it. I dont understand what that means.
How many nights must the battery last? Will you have an opportunity to charge it during the day?

Is it correct that you will only be using it at home where size/weight are not as big a factor as when using a battery for certain kinds of travel?

mowog73
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 am

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by mowog73 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 am

I just bought a GOLABS 60W portable power station
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08NSY ... UTF8&psc=1

I used it last night with my Resmed AirMini and it worked very well. I used less than 30% of the battery power last night, so I should be able to get 3 nights sleep on one battery charge, not bad.

GrumpyHere
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:40 am

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by GrumpyHere » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:09 am

mowog73 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 am

I used less than 30% of the battery power last night, so I should be able to get 3 nights sleep on one battery charge, not bad.
For battery longevity, it’s better not to cycle that deeply.
ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt, p10 mask

amenite
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:02 pm

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by amenite » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:22 pm

That's a LiFePO4 lithium battery. It's probably more tolerant of deep discharge. It would probably still outlast most of us if occasionally discharged to 0%

Edit: also holds a charge on the shelf better than other types. A nice feature.

User avatar
zonker
Posts: 8135
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by zonker » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:47 pm

so, on amazon.com, this unit is $199.00 and then can deduct $70 with coupon.

(prices american, of course.)

so, folk who know batteries, is this something a total battery ignoramus like me could/should buy?

https://www.amazon.com/GOLABS-Portable- ... 247&sr=8-5
the two great unwritten rules of life are-
1.
2.
Airsense 10 Autoset for Her
P10 Nasal Pillow Mask

User avatar
loggerhead12
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by loggerhead12 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:30 pm

zonker wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:47 pm
so, on amazon.com, this unit is $199.00 and then can deduct $70 with coupon.

(prices american, of course.)

so, folk who know batteries, is this something a total battery ignoramus like me could/should buy?

https://www.amazon.com/GOLABS-Portable- ... 247&sr=8-5
I use about 80 watt hours per night, so It wouldn't last me three days. Seems easy enough to use, though.

What kind of cable plugs into those 12v outputs? You'd need something that would plug in there and have a cigarette/accessory plug on the other end so the Resmed converter would plug into it.

User avatar
zonker
Posts: 8135
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Re: CPAP BATTERIES

Post by zonker » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:05 pm

loggerhead12 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:30 pm

I use about 80 watt hours per night, so It wouldn't last me three days. Seems easy enough to use, though.

What kind of cable plugs into those 12v outputs? You'd need something that would plug in there and have a cigarette/accessory plug on the other end so the Resmed converter would plug into it.
oh. i'm not looking for any kind of camping with the unit. just a backup should the power go out here.
the two great unwritten rules of life are-
1.
2.
Airsense 10 Autoset for Her
P10 Nasal Pillow Mask