REM OSA?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DepressedGuy
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:05 am

Re: REM OSA?

Post by DepressedGuy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:41 pm

After one 1 week cpap trial. It seems to be working. No suicide thoughts, improved focus, shorter sleep. Of course it can be placebo, but I have hope and ordered cpap.
I feel uneasy about it, that I have Ahi below threshold and it seems to be working. I visited psychologist that works with people working before jaw surgery, but I'm not happy with this visit. I was full of energy and hope, but I told something like that, that I was not happy with some questions, because I feel like my feelings and thoughts about my depression are negated. And after that it went terrible, like my feelings about that questions was my main problem that cause my depression treatment problem. Of course, I'm anxious and suspiocis man, but I can feel like that, when I had some serious problem that was missed and told many things about my personality and how to approach depression and It was not working. I was trying to justify that I have long history of depression and for now it seems to be breathing disorder in large part.
So it seems that I can be denied surgery, because I told psychologist that I was not happy with my previous treatment and have long history of depression. (it seems standard to assume personality disorder in long history of depression). I just wanted to talk about my feelings about surgery, and it turned to this. I need to wait 3 weeks for next appointment. So another delay.

I'm writing this after first night without cpap and I ask myself if with cpap it would be easier to deal with that tough talk. In fact I am awake after 3 hours of sleep and my thoughts are anxious. Like it seems that for mental specialist I'm hipochondriac /personality disorder/or that I have some additional issues and I should be diagnosed again. And with cpap I was sure that it's not my main problem, and after one night without cpap my thoughts are like this :O
Last edited by DepressedGuy on Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
onward60
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 pm
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: REM OSA?

Post by onward60 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:59 pm

Have you continued to use the CPAP? How are you feeling now? I hope you have found it helpful.
New to CPAP in Sept. 2021. N20 and MAD caused dental pain. Currently trying the Resmed Airfit F20 (medium). ResMed Air 10 for her machine.

My private messages might be turned off.

DepressedGuy
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:05 am

Re: REM OSA?

Post by DepressedGuy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:26 am

onward60 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:59 pm
Have you continued to use the CPAP? How are you feeling now? I hope you have found it helpful.
I ordered it yesterday, because my one week trial cpap ended. It seems, that it reduced my many symptoms. Today was first night without it and I feel terrible anxiety and rumination just after I'm awake. It could be caused by stress related to that psychology consultation that I was not happy with, but maybe my sleep breathing problems cause it somehow. Hard to tell

User avatar
kteague
Posts: 7671
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: West and Midwest

Re: REM OSA?

Post by kteague » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:08 am

I'm looking forward to hearing how you are doing after a few weeks/months of healthier sleep. It can take a while for the body/brain to heal from the assault of sleep apnea. Considering the stresses you are experiencing trying to come to a meeting of the minds with your doctors, maybe let the surgery discussions wait a bit. Hopefully the added information of CPAP results both in data and how you feel would make the picture clearer for both you and them. See what adequate REM does for your mood and energy levels. It is not unusual for people to see more apnea events during REM, since by nature our muscles lose tone during REM to keep us from acting out our dreams. It can be disconcerting to see a report with a low AHI when averaged out over the night, when during REM the number of events are more alarming. The AHI alone is just one factor in determining the need for treatment. Let us know how things go as you progress.

DepressedGuy
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:05 am

Re: REM OSA?

Post by DepressedGuy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:31 am

kteague wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:08 am
I'm looking forward to hearing how you are doing after a few weeks/months of healthier sleep. It can take a while for the body/brain to heal from the assault of sleep apnea. Considering the stresses you are experiencing trying to come to a meeting of the minds with your doctors, maybe let the surgery discussions wait a bit. Hopefully the added information of CPAP results both in data and how you feel would make the picture clearer for both you and them. See what adequate REM does for your mood and energy levels. It is not unusual for people to see more apnea events during REM, since by nature our muscles lose tone during REM to keep us from acting out our dreams. It can be disconcerting to see a report with a low AHI when averaged out over the night, when during REM the number of events are more alarming. The AHI alone is just one factor in determining the need for treatment. Let us know how things go as you progress.
Thank you. I really felt different during this week, but I'm afraid it may be placebo. I hope cpap will arrive soon. Of course I have some psychological problems too, but I was really sad and anxious after talk that went bad. It was not helpful at all. Maybe, it's my fault, but I try to look that I had just personality mismatch, it's best I can do. I really miss my psychotherapist that is on maternity leave. She was different.

User avatar
onward60
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 pm
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: REM OSA?

Post by onward60 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:17 am

DepressedGuy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:31 am
kteague wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:08 am
I'm looking forward to hearing how you are doing after a few weeks/months of healthier sleep. It can take a while for the body/brain to heal from the assault of sleep apnea. Considering the stresses you are experiencing trying to come to a meeting of the minds with your doctors, maybe let the surgery discussions wait a bit. Hopefully the added information of CPAP results both in data and how you feel would make the picture clearer for both you and them. See what adequate REM does for your mood and energy levels. It is not unusual for people to see more apnea events during REM, since by nature our muscles lose tone during REM to keep us from acting out our dreams. It can be disconcerting to see a report with a low AHI when averaged out over the night, when during REM the number of events are more alarming. The AHI alone is just one factor in determining the need for treatment. Let us know how things go as you progress.
Thank you. I really felt different during this week, but I'm afraid it may be placebo. I hope cpap will arrive soon. Of course I have some psychological problems too, but I was really sad and anxious after talk that went bad. It was not helpful at all. Maybe, it's my fault, but I try to look that I had just personality mismatch, it's best I can do. I really miss my psychotherapist that is on maternity leave. She was different.
I agree with kteague.

I'm glad you are going to give the cpap more time. Surgery has many more risks than cpap so is usually not the first choice for treatment.

You seem to have a good understanding of your situation. Don't blame yourself for your problem with your current psychologist. You are tired. Hopefully your original therapist will come back soon.
New to CPAP in Sept. 2021. N20 and MAD caused dental pain. Currently trying the Resmed Airfit F20 (medium). ResMed Air 10 for her machine.

My private messages might be turned off.

DepressedGuy
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:05 am

Re: REM OSA?

Post by DepressedGuy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:57 am

onward60 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:17 am
DepressedGuy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:31 am
kteague wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:08 am
I'm looking forward to hearing how you are doing after a few weeks/months of healthier sleep. It can take a while for the body/brain to heal from the assault of sleep apnea. Considering the stresses you are experiencing trying to come to a meeting of the minds with your doctors, maybe let the surgery discussions wait a bit. Hopefully the added information of CPAP results both in data and how you feel would make the picture clearer for both you and them. See what adequate REM does for your mood and energy levels. It is not unusual for people to see more apnea events during REM, since by nature our muscles lose tone during REM to keep us from acting out our dreams. It can be disconcerting to see a report with a low AHI when averaged out over the night, when during REM the number of events are more alarming. The AHI alone is just one factor in determining the need for treatment. Let us know how things go as you progress.
Thank you. I really felt different during this week, but I'm afraid it may be placebo. I hope cpap will arrive soon. Of course I have some psychological problems too, but I was really sad and anxious after talk that went bad. It was not helpful at all. Maybe, it's my fault, but I try to look that I had just personality mismatch, it's best I can do. I really miss my psychotherapist that is on maternity leave. She was different.
I agree with kteague.

I'm glad you are going to give the cpap more time. Surgery has many more risks than cpap so is usually not the first choice for treatment.

You seem to have a good understanding of your situation. Don't blame yourself for your problem with your current psychologist. You are tired. Hopefully your original therapist will come back soon.
Thank you for words of support. I know that surgery is not ideal, but it scares me that it takes so long time to make it. And I don't really like my face my whole life, because of my small jaw. It took me 3 months to visit all doctors, paying for private care to speed up things and diagnose. And I was not really sure what should I do. I think that decision either way would help to reduce my anxiety, but I know its tough thing. I hope that I will get better after getting cpap again, and I will feel good again.

User avatar
onward60
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 pm
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: REM OSA?

Post by onward60 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:24 am

DepressedGuy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:57 am
onward60 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:17 am
DepressedGuy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:31 am
kteague wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:08 am
I'm looking forward to hearing how you are doing after a few weeks/months of healthier sleep. It can take a while for the body/brain to heal from the assault of sleep apnea. Considering the stresses you are experiencing trying to come to a meeting of the minds with your doctors, maybe let the surgery discussions wait a bit. Hopefully the added information of CPAP results both in data and how you feel would make the picture clearer for both you and them. See what adequate REM does for your mood and energy levels. It is not unusual for people to see more apnea events during REM, since by nature our muscles lose tone during REM to keep us from acting out our dreams. It can be disconcerting to see a report with a low AHI when averaged out over the night, when during REM the number of events are more alarming. The AHI alone is just one factor in determining the need for treatment. Let us know how things go as you progress.
Thank you. I really felt different during this week, but I'm afraid it may be placebo. I hope cpap will arrive soon. Of course I have some psychological problems too, but I was really sad and anxious after talk that went bad. It was not helpful at all. Maybe, it's my fault, but I try to look that I had just personality mismatch, it's best I can do. I really miss my psychotherapist that is on maternity leave. She was different.
I agree with kteague.

I'm glad you are going to give the cpap more time. Surgery has many more risks than cpap so is usually not the first choice for treatment.

You seem to have a good understanding of your situation. Don't blame yourself for your problem with your current psychologist. You are tired. Hopefully your original therapist will come back soon.
Thank you for words of support. I know that surgery is not ideal, but it scares me that it takes so long time to make it. And I don't really like my face my whole life, because of my small jaw. It took me 3 months to visit all doctors, paying for private care to speed up things and diagnose. And I was not really sure what should I do. I think that decision either way would help to reduce my anxiety, but I know its tough thing. I hope that I will get better after getting cpap again, and I will feel good again.
I understand the decision causing anxiety. I think you have reason for much hope for the CPAP!
New to CPAP in Sept. 2021. N20 and MAD caused dental pain. Currently trying the Resmed Airfit F20 (medium). ResMed Air 10 for her machine.

My private messages might be turned off.

User avatar
onward60
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 pm
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: REM OSA?

Post by onward60 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:08 pm

Depressedguy, please come back and let us know how it goes with your cpap when it arrives.
New to CPAP in Sept. 2021. N20 and MAD caused dental pain. Currently trying the Resmed Airfit F20 (medium). ResMed Air 10 for her machine.

My private messages might be turned off.