Any new ideas to seal pillows??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Country4ever

Any new ideas to seal pillows??

Post by Country4ever » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:35 pm

I'm using the original swift nasal pillows (large) and I tape my mouth with blue painter's tape. I'm sure there's no air getting out of my mouth, but my leak rate has been much too high for awhile.
My straight pressure is a little less than 8. I think my leaks are probably from positioning during sleep, or maybe because my throat is posing more of an obstruction than before, and the pressure comes back out my nose. When I go up on the pressure, everything gets worse. I'm hoping its just bad positioning during sleep and I might be able to do something about it. I bought those Mack ear plug wax things, but it just is too hard to use. I'm hoping to not have to go to a FFM, because I know they have their own set of seal problems.
Anyone come up with a great way to seal those nasal pillows?
Thanks.

LinkC

Re: Any new ideas to seal pillows??

Post by LinkC » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Hard to say for sure without knowing the cause.

If the problem is the mask moving around, try the "tights fix" (or one of the variants). It was originally suggested for the Hybrid mask, but should hold any mask in place. wiki/index.php/Hybrid_Mask_Modifications

If the pillows just aren't sealing well, try some nipple grease: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42719&p=377284#p377284
The OSA patient died quietly in his sleep.
Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

DreamOn

Re: Any new ideas to seal pillows??

Post by DreamOn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi Country4ever,

I see that LinkC beat me to it! I was also going to suggest the Lansinoh cream, which is made for nursing mothers. It can be found in the baby or nursing mothers supply aisle in drug stores. It's quite thick and tacky. I put a little around my nostril openings before putting the nasal pillows in place.

Also, you may want to take a look at these links to Lab Rat fixes, compiled by Rested Gal: viewtopic.php?t=15104. Scroll down to "Swift/Swift LT". There may be some suggestions there that'll help.

~ DreamOn