Is it common to get mouth sores with full face masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
reader2580

Is it common to get mouth sores with full face masks?

Post by reader2580 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:59 pm

I was told to switch to a full face mask due to mouth breathing. The first one I got is a Quattro Air. The doctor increased my minimum pressure to 12 so I have to keep the mask fairly tight. I ended up with sores inside my cheeks where the mask corners hit my face. The DME switched me to Mirage Quattro, but that one is even worse. I bought a Sleepweaver Anew full face mask, but now the plastic pieces that hold the quick releases irritate the sores from the other mask. I finally ordered the really big Fitlife mask to see if it would help, but they sent me the Performax ventilator version instead of the CPAP version.

Are mouth sores something I need to just deal with when using a full face mask, or is there a way to adjust the mask to prevent them? I will probably have to quit CPAP until they heal. I don't have a mask that works right now with the sores anyhow.

Pugsy

Re: Is it common to get mouth sores with full face masks?

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:15 pm

No mask should ever cause open sores or abrasions and if it does then something is wrong...either fit, size or simply not the right type of mask for a person to be using.

So no....mouth sores are NOT a common occurrence at all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:24 pm

Is there a sharp tooth that is cutting into your cheek

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:28 pm

reader2580 wrote:I was told to switch to a full face mask due to mouth breathing. The first one I got is a Quattro Air. The doctor increased my minimum pressure to 12 so I have to keep the mask fairly tight. I ended up with sores inside my cheeks where the mask corners hit my face. The DME switched me to Mirage Quattro, but that one is even worse. I bought a Sleepweaver Anew full face mask, but now the plastic pieces that hold the quick releases irritate the sores from the other mask. I finally ordered the really big Fitlife mask to see if it would help, but they sent me the Performax ventilator version instead of the CPAP version.

Are mouth sores something I need to just deal with when using a full face mask, or is there a way to adjust the mask to prevent them? I will probably have to quit CPAP until they heal. I don't have a mask that works right now with the sores anyhow.
Something just doesn't sound "logical" about those scenarios. I can't imagine what kind of "sores" they are or how they could happen.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Guest1

Post by Guest1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:17 am

When I started PAP therapy with a FFM (Airfit F10), I did get mouth sores frequently. Some of them were filled with dark blood so it was a bit scary at first. I guess it was due to mouth breathing causing mouth dryness, making the cheek lining more vulnerable to tearing and trauma. And then, we do things like chew, grind, open jaw etc. when we are sleeping. You could injure part of your dry cheek lining doing that.

It was no big deal though when it happened. They would heal within a week and were not painful.

I have seen that since I moved to a nasal pillow mask (P10), my mouth sores have not occured again.

reader2580

Post by reader2580 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:22 am

The sores are on the inside of my cheeks right at the bottom of the gum line. They happened right after using the Quattro Air mask for a few days. The sores are below the gum line so I don't know that my teeth cut into my cheeks. My cheeks were actually stuck to my gums and teeth after using the Quattro Air.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:58 am

The doctor increased my minimum pressure to 12 so I have to keep the mask fairly tight. I ended up with sores inside my cheeks where the mask corners hit my face.
No it should not be "fairly tight" It needs to ride like a hovercraft on your face. The tighter you make it the more problems you get. Sometimes a liner helps to keep it from sliding around on your face. When you have to crank it down tight it means the mask doesn't fit right.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal