New S9 and earache

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KathyJL

New S9 and earache

Post by KathyJL » Sun May 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi All! 10 days ago, I got a new ResMed S9. Prior to that, I had an Elite II, which I used for 4.5 years. As far as I know, the pressure remained at 8 from the day I got the Elite II. The sleep tech set my new machine to a pressure of 8. EPR was set to 3, which I had with Elite II, and I ensured the ramp was 15 minutes, just like my old machine.
The morning after my first use of the S9, I had an earache on the right side. I thought it was the TapPap mask I was using, as my jaw felt like I had clenched that night. So, I switched to my Wisp and more recently have been trying the Nano nasal mask. The jaw clenching soreness is gone, by my earache has persisted, although not as bad as that first morning. It hurts on some days more than others. Any ideas what could be going on??
Daily user of CPAP since 2009.
Use very low humidity or pass through.
Slightly heated hose. Hose cozy.
Masks: Alternate between N30i, Aloha, Tap Pap, & occasional BleepSleep.

needtosleep51

Re: New S9 and earache

Post by needtosleep51 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:09 pm

I just got the S9 and have experienced no earaches .

Maybe you have a pebble in your pillow ?

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun May 18, 2014 5:27 pm

I tend to get bad earaches when using nasal pillows like the Swift FX etc. The same thing happened to a lesser degree with the Wisp and similar nasal masks. I've got complications due to a long term case of 'surfers ear', so my sleep doctor recommended a full face mask like the Quattro FX, mostly because it divides the inhale pressure between the sinuses and the throat. Full face masks can be a chore getting used to, however all my earaches went entirely away when I got my QFX working. Maybe not what you want to hear, but that's the way it was for me

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Sun May 18, 2014 6:12 pm

I've got the same issue, actually. At first I attributed it to allergies, but now I'm becoming more and more convinced that it's the pressure. Every morning it feels like I've been going up a mountain.

KathyJL

Post by KathyJL » Sun May 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Yikes! A FFM?? I can see the rationale, but it's not news I want to hear. I'm a side/stomach sleeper and getting the nasal pillows or masks not to leak is challenge enough. But I will think about it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 18, 2014 9:22 pm

First of all, see the doctor to rule out an unrelated ear infection.
I lost some of my hearing in one ear as a result of an infection.
Some deafness is completely preventable.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue May 20, 2014 12:05 pm

My ENT gave me an Rx for Ciprodex eardrops which helped knock back the ear infection. At the same time I started using the FFM and things just got better from there... glad I used the Ciprodex because the healing occurred in a few weeks. It would probably go a lot faster for those who don't have the added complications of 'surfer's ear'.

http://www.drugs.com/ciprodex.html

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

KathyJL

Post by KathyJL » Thu May 22, 2014 9:09 pm

So I happened to see my doctor for an unrelated issue yesterday, and asked her to check my ear. She said it was filled with fluid. Clear and yellow/clear, but lots of it, which is causing pressure. Said it was allergies and to take Zyrtec/Claritin, etc. She said it might take a few days to clear. Today is my second day with Zyrtec, and although there was a tad of ear pain today, it seems to be diminishing. Yay! Just wanted to post in case this was happening to someone else who could benefit from allergy meds during this allergy season.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri May 23, 2014 11:32 am

That's really good news that your earache is clearing up! I hope you can go back to your Wisp or oral mask, whichever you prefer.