How many Resmed S9's DON'T have the bird sound ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: How many Resmed S9's DON'T have the bird sound ?

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:43 pm

pc1710 wrote:I and my wife hear this all the time. Some nights it bothers me others it doesn't but it seems to be always there. If someone figures it out or a fix please post.
I can make the exhale sound go away by changing the way a breath just a little. It seems to be related to the force of my exhaled breath. A little less force and no exhale sound at all.
Someone mentioned hose size which I have not tried yet. Currently using the ClimateLine hose. Will try to remember to switch over to a regular size standard hose one of these days and see what happens.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

pc1710

Post by pc1710 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:08 pm

I have the heated hose as well. I wonder if it has anything to do with the noise? Do other users who hear the noise have the heated hose?

Thanks

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Pugsy wrote:I can make the exhale sound go away by changing the way a breath just a little. It seems to be related to the force of my exhaled breath. A little less force and no exhale sound at all.
It does seem to be related to the force of the exhaled breath.

I generally do NOT hear the sound.
But, I CAN make it audible by forecefully exhaling.
Someone mentioned hose size which I have not tried yet. Currently using the ClimateLine hose. Will try to remember to switch over to a regular size standard hose one of these days and see what happens.
I may be trying that soon as the heated humidifier (on Auto with a temp setting of 68 degrees) is getting harder to sleep with. It was 79 degrees here today.

I am turning it down to 60 degrees tonight to see if that helps.
If not, it is "passover" only for me for the summer.

If I do go to passover over, I may hook up my old regular (standard) sized hose from my old Respironics.

But, since I do not hear the sound unless I force it to be audible, I may not be the right person to try this experiment.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

msla

Post by msla » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:32 pm

The Mrs. has not complained , so it must be fairly quiet.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:38 pm

StuUnderPressure wrote:It was 79 degrees here today.
I have been putting off changing the ClimateLine...tonight we are supposed to see 22 degrees F...brrrr.
SW Missouri and looks like mother nature doesn't want us to forget what winter feels like. Snow and wind and cold.
I had a tiny bit of rain out in my mask this morning.

The noise on exhale...sometimes I hear it and sometimes I don't. My husband says he doesn't hear anything and with the new mask...not even any vent noise. So for me it isn't very loud and I can easily make what little sound I hear on exhale go away with just a minor change in my breathing. I think when I sleep that I probably go to that way of breathing because the main time I ever hear the noise (and it is not loud at all to me) is while awake at the beginning of the night.

I am curious now....so I will go dig out my regular hose and check things out. Will report back in a little bit.
I won't be using the regular hose tonight though...still too cold here and with my preferred humidity settings...I would be getting a cold shower for sure along with the lawn mower noise in the hose from the condensation...been there done that before the heated hose came into my life.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Okay....for me...hose diameter or even the addition of a hose cozy from Padacheek or Climate line naked....no change in the sound on exhale. Multiple combinations of regular performance white hose with and without hose cozy and same with Climateline made essentially no difference in the sound I hear on exhale.
It might be different for someone else and sure worth a try. Remember I am using Bilevel pressures 9 EPAP and 13 IPAP...that may or may not have anything to do with the loudness. I have not tried lower pressures.
My machine is on a towel on a wooden table maybe a couple of inches below mattress. The addition or removal of the towel doesn't change it. I have the towel there just to protect the wood....just in case because the table is an antique.

I can see where this would possibly be annoying to a person who was maybe super sensitive to sounds or tones.
I have had my hearing checked and it is not deficient, so I don't think we can say that I don't hear it because I am partly deaf. I do hear it...it doesn't sound like a bird to me but it is hard to describe...it is very faint and I can easily change my breath so it doesn't happen.

So for me this sound, whatever it is caused by, would not be a deal breaker with this machine.

My husband just mentioned today that he was awake for a while this morning (long before I got up) and he lay there for a bit and thought to himself that if he didn't put his hand across the mask vent that he wouldn't have known the machine is even on. The vent for the Tap Pap mask unless it hits the bed covers doesn't make any noise that he can hear.
His hearing has also been checked...so he isn't deaf either.

I do think that it is possible that 1...some machines are likely louder than others even within the same model line 2...some people are more sensitive to various sounds and tones.
It's a real bummer if a super sensitive person ends up with a louder machine.
This S9 VPAP is the second S9 VPAP I have used...the first was a loaner from a forum member....it didn't have any noise at all on exhale. So there are some silent machines out there too.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:17 pm

I haven't read all the comments.

I make my super special particles filters. Something I noticed is the particles filter placed on a little crooked way, makes some noise. If I cut the filter exactly the right size and place it in the proper way there is no bird sound.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:29 pm

How do you make your filters?

Nooblakahn

Post by Nooblakahn » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:09 pm

My s9 vpap adapt makes this noise. Didn't really notice it till I saw someone post it here. Its pretty quiet.. but it is there. Not that loud though.. and a heck of a lot quieter than my snoring without machine... per my wife.

“I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different."
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:44 pm

@ herefishy

I use a surgical N95 mask. I cut my filters from the masks (notice that there is direction for the flow), there are flat masks or cone like shape masks. It is less expensive for me to do that. The other thing I noticed is that the particles filter which came with the machine filters less than my filters.

I had found the resistance and other mechanical characteristics for the filters for the System One, and Resmed S8 (those been my former machines) and it were the same the N95 had. I really don't think could be a difference enough to cause a problem to the machine S9. But that's only my opinion.

psiborg

Post by psiborg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 pm

rosacer wrote:@ herefishy

I use a surgical N95 mask. I cut my filters from the masks (notice that there is direction for the flow), there are flat masks or cone like shape masks. It is less expensive for me to do that. The other thing I noticed is that the particles filter which came with the machine filters less than my filters.

I had found the resistance and other mechanical characteristics for the filters for the System One, and Resmed S8 (those been my former machines) and it were the same the N95 had. I really don't think could be a difference enough to cause a problem to the machine S9. But that's only my opinion.
Does anyone know what the particle filtration rate of the S9 native filter ? I've been unable to find any specs online.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks Rosacer, I will try the N95 mask material.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:50 pm

psiborg wrote:Does anyone know what the particle filtration rate of the S9 native filter ? I've been unable to find any specs online.
Don't know the numbers, or specs, but based on looking at the filter all I would say is "big"! It's a pretty open filter and a long way from being a HEPA filter.