How many Resmed S9's DON'T have the bird sound ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Papit

Re: How many Resmed S9's DON'T have the bird sound ?

Post by Papit » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:00 pm

Yes, I hear it very faintly at the end of most, not all, of my exhales. Just one little "coo," nothing more than that. But I had to listen for it. I think I know EXACTLY what it is and I love it!

IT'S AN OWL! That's the 'cooo' sound made by a tiny, little, baby owl that ResMed includes, at NO extra charge, in 99.44% of their S9 machines. It's a sophisticated SECRET electronic-biological-sublingual-erotic-exotic design enhancement that provides unconscious, satisfying, warm, ever-SO-cozy, reassuring feedback to us xpapers. I like it. More, more, M O R E ! Faster, faster!

You watch. Next year Respironics will come out with an even better Owl. Then ResMed will up the ante with the next generation Owl, as an OPTION, and charge extra.

Last edited by Papit on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

SleepingDVader

Post by SleepingDVader » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm just shy of 1100 hours run time on my S9 and neither myself nor my wife have observed any strange sounds from the machine. We were both surprised how quiet it is.

ems

Post by ems » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:11 pm

I hear nothhhhing... anyone remember that TV show?
Last edited by ems on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:15 pm

4700 hours here and no odd sounds. The sound of my breathing and mask far outweigh the sounds of the blower unit. To answer the question directly, no hoo-hooing or anything remotely birdlike.

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:31 pm

I keep my S9 Autoset at cpap mode 9.4 no epr and yes I hear a slight noise at the end of my exhale that does not sound like a bird. When I first got my machine, I would listen for it, and would wonder if I was exhaling correctly, short breaths on the exhale seemed to omit the sound, but that got old really quick. I figured whatever it was it belonged there because this machine is soooooooooo quiet, I was having to really listen for it. Now, I don't even bother to listen for it and it doesn't keep me from falling asleep or wake me up.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Yeah i did notice a sound on my S9, not sure i would call it a bird sound. More like an increasing fan speed or spinning of a motor. I can't remember is it was before i had EPR off or not. However i notice a similar sound on the Respironics PR ONE Series 60, i am not using any kind of FLEX.

I only hear it at the start of a nights sleep. So my take is that its the machine algorithm/motor responding to heavier breathing in an awake state.
Breathing in an awake state at the start of a nights sleep can very. People can be stressed, angry, sedated, out of breath having climbed the stairs etc.
I use the sound to help lull me into sleep, as i slow my breathing and relax into sleep the noise goes away.
If i'm still hearing the noise after 15-20 mins i get up and do something else, I know I'm not ready for bed.

Or I could be full of crap and there is actually some other reason for the sound?

~UB

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Papit wrote:
IT'S AN OWL! That's the 'cooo' sound made by a tiny, little, baby owl that ResMed includes, at NO extra charge, in 99.443961 % of their S9 machines. It's a sophisticated SECRET electronic-biological-sublingual-erotic-exotic design enhancement that provides unconscious, satisfying, warm, ever-SO-cozy, reassuring feedback to us xpapers.
Oh shoot!! I want one too! Wonder why they left it out?

Suzanne

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:45 pm

No noise in mine.

Kickthefog

Post by Kickthefog » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:58 pm

Mine made that noise out of nowhere for a period of about a month. Drove me nuts. I never have changed settings and the noise went away by itself and hasn't been back thank Goodness. I have no idea what it was or what brought it on but I'm glad it gone. As someone else said, it was very quiet and hard to notice, but once I focused on it being there it was hard for me to ignore. Only thing I can offer is it started early on in my ownership of the s9 and stopped quite a long time ago. Maybe it's a "break in" kinda thing?

Pat

dgalvin66

Post by dgalvin66 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:39 pm

I did not notice to sound until after my wife mentioned it it one day. She describse it as sounding like one of our cats meowing when she is locked in the closet. It took her about a week to get used to it and caused her to lose some sleep for a few days. But I barely even hear it at all and the S9 sits about 18" from my face. I do have it set at a pressure of 15 and do use the EPR at full setting. My last CPAP was the S8 and I can not use a CPAP without the EPR or FLEX now. My spare backup unit does not have either and when I tried to use it for a few days it was horrible and the SystemOne is a good unit.
From everything I have read and heard the noise only happens when the S9 is used at a pressures above 9.

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:58 pm

no sound here.got mine june 2011

jacks321

Post by jacks321 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 pm

Im, glad this topic is being discussed, when I first used my S9 in January it was completely silent. But these last 2 weeks it has developed the noise described, and yes it is on exhale on the 3 setting. Im not complaining it is very faint, I am reassured that there is nothing wrong with my machine

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 pm

No noise from mine. One of the posters here, who apparently does repair work on the S9s, said one time there are balancing holes in the edge of the fan. Those holes differ from machine to machine and in some machines can create a noise like the OP mentions.

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:50 am

It's impossible to move pressurized air silently. Very few, if any, noise muzzling systems will eliminate 100% of the noise. After this many machines I believe it's time for you to ask, "You suppose maybe it's me, and not the machine?"

I think you are being overly sensitive, overly concerned, overly intolerant, overly impatient, and overly unwilling to allow your body to learn to accommodate itself to the sound of life.

Recognize this condescending remark?

Papit

Post by Papit » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:16 am

Suzanne's doesn't 'coo'! She might trade with you if yours does. If mine didn't, I think I would too. Like Uncle_Bob, I go with the flow and allow the sound to help lull me to sleep. I also have a white noise device that makes the sound of a small fan and I play soft music. All very nice to sleep to. If i'm still up and hear the fan, the music, etc. after 15-20 mins, I get up and call Uncle Bob and Cousin Suzanne and we have a conference call to discuss this further. : )
Suzjohnson wrote:
Papit wrote: "IT'S AN OWL! That's the 'cooo' sound made by a tiny, little, baby owl that ResMed includes, at NO extra charge, in 99.443961 % of their S9 machines. It's a sophisticated SECRET electronic-biological-sublingual-erotic-exotic design enhancement that provides unconscious, satisfying, warm, ever-SO-cozy, reassuring feedback to us xpapers.
"Oh shoot!! I want one too! Wonder why they left it out? Suzanne