Special Cpap pillow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozze_dollar

Special Cpap pillow

Post by ozze_dollar » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:40 pm

I was looking at a pillow in the shopping centre today especially for cpap users. I am sure a lot of you have seen them before.They have cut outs at each end to allow room for the mask. Do they have a special name? When I google cpap pillows you know what I get. Has anyone any comments on them and how much do they cost?

ronbien

Re: Special Cpap pillow

Post by ronbien » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:12 am

I have not used one, but for Google try using "cpap bed pillows"

http://www.google.com/search?q=cpap+bed ... 1I7MOOI_en

Good Luck!

Last edited by ronbien on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaga58

Post by Gaga58 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:17 am

Not sure how good you are with a needle and thread, but I made my own! Went to Walmart and purchased a new pillow, extra firm, then I basically cut out a half circle at one end, pushed the filling back in enough to be able to get my opening closed and stitched it up...wahlaa...cpap pillow for $9 bucks!! I'm mostly a side sleeper so this works great for me! If you don't sew perhaps you know someone who does who can make the adjustments for you! I would say the foam type pillow could be done the same way and possibly easier if you prefer foam pillows! Happy sleeping!

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:19 am

i have not used a cpap pillow but I noticed them in the DMEs office the other day. small size was 42$ and I am not sure what the larger size cost (or what the exact difference was between them. The large ones were wedged on a shelf in such a way that it would have been complicated to pull them out and compare, and I did not have time to do that).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:03 am

Hint for cutting those memory foam type of pillows....electric kitchen blades...meat cutters.
Let's you make your own little cut out for the mask quite easily.

While I love the feel or the memory foam most are too high for my head and neck. I would have to cut one in half horizontally to reduce the overall height. So I just use the lower flat buckwheat pillow and move the hulls to make a place for mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:09 am

My son said they use a heated wire to cut the memory foam in the factory.
Hobby foam cutters I've seen are too short.

jcurt172

Post by jcurt172 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:33 am

I currently use the Countour CpapMax pillow and am very satisfied with it. I have only been using cpap for 5 weeks and this pillow has helped me get used to the whole process. There are a number of pillows out there of various design that you can choose from and there is a lot of information on this site that you can read to help make a choice. Making your own is also an option.
Remstart Auto A-Flex
System One Humidifier
F&P Simplus Full Face Mask

needzzzzs

Post by needzzzzs » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:20 am

Pugsy,

I have had a Tempurpedic memory foam pillow for at least 10 years. I am short (under 5 feet), with a short neck, and I have successfully used their SMALL pillow. It's the only one not too high for me. I actually own two of them. I'm thinking about cutting one in half to use as a travel pillow. Tempurpedic makes a travel-sized pillow, but I think the neck height is higher than the small regular neck pillow.

Good luck!

Debbie
Pugsy wrote:
While I love the feel or the memory foam most are too high for my head and neck. I would have to cut one in half horizontally to reduce the overall height. So I just use the lower flat buckwheat pillow and move the hulls to make a place for mask.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:36 am

needzzzzs wrote: have had a Tempurpedic memory foam pillow for at least 10 years. I am short (under 5 feet), with a short neck, and I have successfully used their SMALL pillow. It's the only one not too high for me
I obviously have not seen one anywhere. I will keep my eye out for one and if not too costly I will give it a try.
There is no real rush as I am quite happy with the buckwheat pillow. I am 5 foot also...long skinny neck though. Small boned so small shoulders. I do have a couple of the contour Tempurpedic pillows but even the low side is too high for me to wake up without the headache. I get enough of the morning headaches from my neck all by itself.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

needzzzzs

Post by needzzzzs » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:05 am

Glad you do well with the buckwheat pillow, Pugsy!

I've tried several of the CPAP-designed pillows, but keep going back to my Tempurpedic. Funny how that happens.

Debbie

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:17 pm

I just ordered a buckwheat pillow from cpap.com an hour ago. I am currently using a firm Obusform pillow which I find sticks up to far at the ends, therefore I get a constant blowback sound from my mask. I quess my head sinks too far down (I sleep in the middle) and that lets the rest of the pillow stick up to far ...,.or just be too fluffy for my mask. I've read many recommendations here for the buckwheat pillow so that's why I just ordered one.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:42 pm

I have tried many different Cpap pillows. None worked for me. Buck wheat pillow turned out to be what I really needed. I'm a side sleeper and it can be moulded to fit my neck and mask.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:52 pm

carbonman wrote:Here you go.
carbonman wrote:I'm a side sleeper and pillow slasher.
I use UM FFM, exclusively.
I've tried every pillow out there.....
this is the best, IMNSHO.
Memory foam pillow purchased wherever you can find it on sale,
modified to my specifications. Side cutouts fit the mask,
cutout in the middle fits onto your shoulder to hold it in place.
Works very well.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

WestCoastCdnGrl

Post by WestCoastCdnGrl » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:35 am

Gaga58 wrote:Not sure how good you are with a needle and thread, but I made my own! Went to Walmart and purchased a new pillow, extra firm, then I basically cut out a half circle at one end, pushed the filling back in enough to be able to get my opening closed and stitched it up...wahlaa...cpap pillow for $9 bucks!! I'm mostly a side sleeper so this works great for me! If you don't sew perhaps you know someone who does who can make the adjustments for you! I would say the foam type pillow could be done the same way and possibly easier if you prefer foam pillows! Happy sleeping!
Going on Gaga's original idea, I would imagine that a similar pillow could be homemade with something like this but for a fraction of the cost.

On the subject of Obusforme pillows and CPAP, I currently use a pillow similar to this with my mask (it is a plain foam version as opposed to the memory foam versions that are available and which I find to be too hard and end up giving me a tension headache when I wake up).

I have the high end supporting my neck (very comfortable!) while I sleep and since I am a side sleeper, if I have my cheek resting as close to the edge of the pillow as I can comfortably get it, my face is high enough off of the mattress to allow for comfortable wearing of my mask at night.

I had been using this type of cervical pillow for years (my father was a chiropractor in the late 1970's-1980's and he sold them in his office), so it didn't take me any extra getting used to the pillow, so I didn't need a transition period to get used to the CPAP/pillow combination.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:27 am

I use the Contour pillow and I am very happy with it. I previously bought the SleePAP CPAP Pillow with pillow case (go to cpap.com and look at it). The pillow is too much pillow for me. It's too fluffy and sorta high. I used it less than a week. I know some folks here like it. If someone wants it, send me a pm with your address and I will mail it to you.

Sheriff