Cotton mouth and coated tongue, anyone else

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepless_in_ny

Cotton mouth and coated tongue, anyone else

Post by sleepless_in_ny » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:22 pm

Hi,
I am new to all this and seem to have a problem getting answers from the medical professionals. So I turn to fellow cpap users.

It has been a few months and lately I am waking with a dry cotton mouth and a foul taste that does not go away. I am using a heated humidifier. Do I need to crank it up or turn it off.

Anyone else have this problem. The constant lousy taste is driving me as nuts as the masks!

Thanks

HappyHoser

Post by HappyHoser » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:05 pm

Greetings and welcome! It sounds like you may have a leak! From your mouth. That can give you dry mouth in the morning and the taste could be from just about anything from what you ate last night to the mineral content of your saliva! Do you use a chin strap?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:10 pm

Tape has worked for many. Just use it to keep your trap shut !

:twis ted:

sleepless_in_ny

Post by sleepless_in_ny » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:32 pm

Since I first had the mask I never slept with my mouth open that I know of, but I guess it is for consideration. But why would it (the lousy taste) be reduced if I don't sure the humidifier? If my mouth was open wouldn't that then be the same?

I guess I could rigg something to give a go, thanks for the input.

HappyHoser

Post by HappyHoser » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:50 am

Typo there but I assume you mean the taste is less of a problem with the HH turned down. Are you using distilled water or tap?

sleepless_in_ny

Post by sleepless_in_ny » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:31 am

I am using distilled water, actually when I started I used filtered and was fine But then I read that the mineral content can shorten the life of the unit.

The weird thing is that I was basically okay for about a month and half then this cotton mouth coated tongue thing started, then I went away for over a month with no problems, returned and so did the problem.

I am perplexed.

I usually do not sleep with my mouth open unless I can't breath, hence the discovery of sleep apnea. I guess there could be a leak at night and I am getting the seal replaced.

This will take a lot of trial and error, but all the suggestions here are very helpful and appreciated.

Barnaby

Post by Barnaby » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:47 am

I dont know if this will help..but file it in your memory bank anyhow
I had dry mouth for the first two months until i went from cpap to a vpap which lowed the flow of air while i exhale. it works and i cant explain it. But that was after taping and fiddling around with hh dials aand lowering and raising temp of water

"He's not heavy..he is my brother" - Shriners Creed

tater pie

Post by tater pie » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:48 am

It sounds like you definitely have a mouth leak. As far as humidification goes, it usually doesn't stop mouth leaks. I am a terrible mouth breather and have turned my humidification all the way up and down and all points in between. A lot depends on the climate you live in. I live in Texas and have found just a little humidification is all I need. Chin straps never did much to stop mouth leaks either. I actually have lips puffs rather than mouth leaks. About the only thing that I have found to help stop the lip puffs is taping my mouth shut. If your pressure is 10 or below, a full face mask may be an option for you. If your pressure is above 10, the full face masks leak like a seive. Just try different settings on you humidifier and find what works best for you. There is so much trial and error involved with finding the best equipment for yourself. You just have to keep at it and you will find it. Hopefully sooner than later.

Mudge

Mouth Leaks

Post by Mudge » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:40 am

What do you use to tape your mouth shut? I've been trying a chin strap, but it is a nuisance at times. I can't imagine though ripping tape off my mouth each morning!

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:59 am

I dont know if Midge was writing to me (Barnaby) about the tape. So here is what i used: this is a roll of paper white tape that is on the counter at our local Walgreens. It sells for a few cents over a dollar a roll and I think it it a Johnson and Johnson product. It is paper tape and served me well. One roll lasted a month or more.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:05 am

Mudge, I have the same problem as tater pie - air puffing out from between loosely closed lips even. I tape, too.

Some people can use paper tape. Or micropore tape. But it takes some really strong stuff to hold for me...so I used Johnson and Johnson waterproof adhestive tape, one inch wide size.

I've also used Tegaderm, but several days in a row of that starts giving me a red rash that I never get with the J&J adhesive tape.

Here are some discussion links about mouth taping. The last link is to another method of stopping mouth air leaks without using tape - a "Do It Yourself" cheap mouthguard idea. That works well for me, too:

Nov 05, 2005 subject: Attention all Tapirs

Mar 26, 2005 subject: Mouth tape..

Oct 01, 2005 subject: MOUTH TAPING

Aug 12, 2005 subject: F u ll face mask users

Feb 09, 2005 subject: Respironics Chin-strap??

Dec 24, 2004 subject: Just diagnosed with moderate obstructive sleep apnea

The next two discussions were on two different message boards. Even though it was same subject, the many pages of responses were different.

Sep 15, 2005 subject: Time for the big Tape Arguement Join In on the ASAA board

Sep 15 2005 subject: Time for the big Tape Arguement Join In on the TalkAboutSleep board

The last link is to a long discussion about frequenseeker's "DIY" (Do It Yourself) mouthguard:

Topic started by frequenseeker Dec 01 2004 subject: mouth leak solution, cheap DIY oral appliance

harikarishimari

Re: Cotton mouth and coated tongue, anyone else

Post by harikarishimari » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:22 pm

sleepless_in_ny wrote:Cotton mouth and coated tongue?
Are you putting cotton in your heated humidifer? It would not take much cotton to get loose and cause all of your problems. I say do not put cotton in your humidifier.

Guessed

Re: Cotton mouth and coated tongue, anyone else

Post by Guessed » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:14 am

harikarishimari wrote:
sleepless_in_ny wrote:Cotton mouth and coated tongue?
Are you putting cotton in your heated humidifer?
Snacking on cotton balls, especially just before bedtime will have the same effect. Maybe worse. It's just not a good habit to fall into. Especially this time of year. Resist the temptation.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:21 am

sounds like classic mouth breathing, a full face mask or tape. tape is the cheapest and easiest.

Go down to your local drug store and look for Johnson & Johnson's 1" wide "paper" medical tape. It comes in a white plastic dispenser and without the dispenser (just a roll). It should be labeled hypoallergenic, this tape is very thin semi-transparent.

You only need a single piece, cut it about 1-3/4" long, then fold back over itself about 1/4" to 3/8" to make a quick removal flap. it won't stick where the tape is folded back over itself. it goes over the mouth horizontally and does not have to completely cover the mouth, all it has to do is has to keep the lips closed.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:54 pm

If the lip puff problem can be taken care of with just a little help, Guest's method of using a one inch long strip to keep part of the lower lip up sounds fine. You might want to try that first. A short piece of tape doesn't get the job done for me.

If you're a really forceful lip puffer like I am, it takes a big solid patch completely covering the mouth to hold lip leaking air back. Thus, the two overlapping long strips I use.

Guest's advice about how to make handy little grab tabs on the end of each strip is right on target.

The most important trick to getting any tape to adhere well throughout the night is be sure the area around the mouth is freshly washed clean and is perfectly dry before applying the tape.