Favorite travel bags for CPAP and laptop?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
eljorgito

Favorite travel bags for CPAP and laptop?

Post by eljorgito » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:02 am

I travel a ton internationally... 3 bags, which allowable, can be a bit much to handle.

Right now my solution is to pack my S9 in it's case INSIDE a carry-on (22" travelpro). It fits (takes up some room for clothes), but requires me to open up the suitcase every time and undo the interior bag, etc.

Once or twice I've carried *just* the main CPAP unit loose in my large-ish laptop bag (messenger bag) but it's bulky and bounces around, and the rest of the CPAP is still in the suitcase.

What I really want:
- CPAP and laptop in same bag
- bag that I can use for work
- not a backpack, preferably
- easy unpacking at TSA
- keep my suitcase a suitcase without the CPAP in there

Seems like a job for a custom bag, but I wonder if anyone out there has found better alternatives? What's your favorite bag?

I'm considering the Tumi Alpha large expandable bag... thinking that in the expando pocket could go the CPAP, and the rest just works like a normal bag.

thoughts?

-george

GumbyCT

Re: Favorite travel bags for CPAP and laptop?

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:51 am

My 1st thought is -
Isn't it true that once you pack none medical items in with you cpap the bag is no longer an 'exempt carryon'? Meaning the airline can at boarding require you to pay or check it? (each can handle this differently).

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:52 am

I luv bags, have way too many carry-ons, back-packs, computer bags, etc.... And when I travel, almost 99% of time it's always carry-on only, nothing checked in. So weight, sizes, important.

For cpap, the ResMed carry-on that came with my S8 works just fine. I don't use the humidifier so that means extra room for spare hose, extension cord, surge protector, a couple of baggies for meds, toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, etc.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:09 am

For air travel, this is what I recently used:

http://www.amazon.com/IZOD-Engage-16-In ... B003C80AUC

The photo doesn't show it, but there is a padded pocket inside, on the back-side (where the handle is) where I put my laptop. My laptop is a 12 inch Toshiba, but the pocket would accommodate up to 15 inches.

I put my S9 Humidifer on the the bottom, and the CPAP on top for easy access for TSA inspection (both on their sides, in separate padded bags) . It will also hold my power brick, hose, mask, and ziplock bag of small bottles of liquids.

I packed my surge protector, Hozer, Travel Papillow, quart of distilled water (in ziplock bag) and the cord and mouse for the laptop, in my checked bag.

Hope this helps.

glassman

Post by glassman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:35 pm

I use something like this: http://www.ebags.com/product/samsonite/ ... id=1343525
My bag is that size and configuration. You can use a shoulder strap or not. Without a shoulder strap, I find that it's sufficiently briefcase like that I can bring it into a business meeting. In my bag, there's two main compartments. The thin one can accomodate a laptop. The wider compartment (about 5 inch wide) can accomodate a CPAP and all accessories.
I have a newer M series. I disassemble the cables so only the short bit of cable is attached to the machine. Then I put all the other cables into a one quart baggie so the cables don't get tangled together when I get the CPAP out at TSA. I put the hose exactly into the plastic bag as delivered from the manufacturer. I can take the machine out much faster than when taking it out of a rollaboard.

scotthall

Post by scotthall » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:52 am

See if you like this Briggs & Riley expandable laptop brief (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/pr ... ief_KB402X). Briggs & Riley are huge in the business luggage market and have some great bags to offer. This expandable brief has separate sections for files, computer, and miscellaneous items. The best part is that the file section can expand to give extra room that you can use for storing anything you want.

clitherow

Post by clitherow » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:31 am

This is funny, I just an email from my husband saying how miserably tired he is for not having his CPAP with him on a business trip. I'm wondering, how to you handle taking your CPAP with you (aside from choosing a good bag for it). Is it ever a security problem? Do you need certain paperwork?

Thanks for your help....

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:56 am

clitherow wrote:This is funny, I just an email from my husband saying how miserably tired he is for not having his CPAP with him on a business trip. I'm wondering, how to you handle taking your CPAP with you (aside from choosing a good bag for it). Is it ever a security problem? Do you need certain paperwork?

Thanks for your help....
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53967&p=502712&hili ... ap#p502712

Doodeedoo

Post by Doodeedoo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Here are my 2-cents as a frequent air traveller.

Wheeled carry-ons are considered by many in the computer world as being one of the lap-top's worst enemies (only second to viruses). The vibration produced by the uneven surfaces you pull them through could end up destroying the hard drive. CPAP machines are no different as they also have moving parts.

I have been lucky but after hearing some horror stories, I now carry my lap-top in a back-pack. I have always carried my CPAP (a Resmed Elite) in the original carrying case, appropriately labeled as a medical device. In this case I carry humidifier, mask, power cord, extension cord, etc.

I hope this helps.

David

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Sat May 11, 2013 9:11 pm

clitherow wrote:This is funny, I just an email from my husband saying how miserably tired he is for not having his CPAP with him on a business trip. I'm wondering, how to you handle taking your CPAP with you (aside from choosing a good bag for it). Is it ever a security problem? Do you need certain paperwork?

Thanks for your help....
Since I started therapy six months ago, I've been through security nine times and I've never had TSA even spend an extra few seconds on screening my machine, completely enclosed in its case, through the scanner. I've only had someone even mention it twice, both times when flying United, and they told me I had too many carryons at the gate. I told them that I didn't, that it was a medical device. No further trouble. Last night, I was on a completely full flight on Southwest, and they told everyone that bin space would be severely limited, and to check bags. I didn't, and no one said anything about my extra bag. However, it could easily have fit under my seat if needed. When stood up in the overhead bin, it takes just five inches of space.

I do carry a copy of my prescription just in case, but it hasn't come up. Also, I have only traveled domestically (U.S.) thus far.

kahboom

Post by kahboom » Sun May 12, 2013 8:53 am

I had posted a recommendation in this thread but it appears to have been deleted. SMH

Whynotsleep

Post by Whynotsleep » Sun May 12, 2013 9:41 am

ughwhatname wrote:

Thanks for your help....
Since I started therapy six months ago, I've been through security nine times and I've never had TSA even spend an extra few seconds on screening my machine, completely enclosed in its case, through the scanner. I've only had someone even mention it twice, both times when flying United, and they told me I had too many carryons at the gate. I told them that I didn't, that it was a medical device. No further trouble. Last night, I was on a completely full flight on Southwest, and they told everyone that bin space would be severely limited, and to check bags. I didn't, and no one said anything about my extra bag. However, it could easily have fit under my seat if needed. When stood up in the overhead bin, it takes just five inches of space.

I do carry a copy of my prescription just in case, but it hasn't come up. Also, I have only traveled domestically (U.S.) thus far.
Having traveled weekly with my Cpap I have never been asked for a prescription or any other documents. I used a backpack for Five years and never had any issues. TSA seems to have turned the corner and while it happens, I don't often get asked anything.
I have switched to the Transcend II and pack it .. Mask, hose, extension cord, power cord, ( everything) in my roller bag. Travels fine and with thousands if TSA checkpoints plane changes and some very rough hotel van drivers handling my bag. Only one laptop has had damage. Never the Cpap or mask. As I now have a medical device in my carry on, all airlines have gone out of the way to find room to store my bag.
Cheating, yes but sometimes you have to play that card. I was asked once to remove the Cpap and place it under the seat so my bag could be checked.

So, should he travel with his, absolutely no reason not to.

Regards

Whynotsleep

Post by Whynotsleep » Sun May 12, 2013 9:51 am

eljorgito wrote:I travel a ton internationally... 3 bags, which allowable, can be a bit much to handle.

Right now my solution is to pack my S9 in it's case INSIDE a carry-on (22" travelpro). It fits (takes up some room for clothes), but requires me to open up the suitcase every time and undo the interior bag, etc.

Once or twice I've carried *just* the main CPAP unit loose in my large-ish laptop bag (messenger bag) but it's bulky and bounces around, and the rest of the CPAP is still in the suitcase.

What I really want:
- CPAP and laptop in same bag
- bag that I can use for work
- not a backpack, preferably
- easy unpacking at TSA
- keep my suitcase a suitcase without the CPAP in there

Seems like a job for a custom bag, but I wonder if anyone out there has found better alternatives? What's your favorite bag?

I'm considering the Tumi Alpha large expandable bag... thinking that in the expando pocket could go the CPAP, and the rest just works like a normal bag.

thoughts?

-george
Look at "Luggage Works"Lots of options
Not cheap but travels well and will do what you want.

NateS

Post by NateS » Sun May 12, 2013 12:40 pm

ughwhatname wrote:Last night, I was on a completely full flight on Southwest, and they told everyone that bin space would be severely limited, and to check bags. I didn't, and no one said anything about my extra bag. However, it could easily have fit under my seat if needed. When stood up in the overhead bin, it takes just five inches of space.
My problem is never with the security or airline personnel but with burly fellow passengers who think of no one but themselves.

After experiences with wrestler-type passengers trying to jam and hammer their hard cases in against my standard issue softcase ResMed S9 in the overhead bin, with me yelling: "Stop you're jamming and hammering against my medical equipment!" I simply stopped putting it in the overhead bin. Now I always/only put it under the seat. Fits fine.

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx