Eye problems from mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raggedykat

Eye problems from mask?

Post by raggedykat » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:53 am

I am still having problems with my eyes itching and watering for hours after I get up. Last night I was checking where the mask is on my face and noticed that the cushions sit right in the corners of each of my eyes. If I pull the mask down any it is going off the edge of my chin and I think if the mask were a smaller size it wouldn't cover the width of my mouth. Wow, the picture I have painted of what my face looks like! Close set eyes with a big wide mouth. But it just seems like I need a mask that is narrower between my eyes but the same everywhere else. Any suggestions? I look terrible at work all morning! My numbers are great so other than that I am not having any problems.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Mohandas Gandhi

BlackSpinner

Re: Eye problems from mask?

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Yep same here. It may not be due to where the mask sits but because - contrary to DME opinion- there is a connection through the tear ducts to to eyes.
Get some eye drops.

My problem is I often see double in the morning too.

It is irritating but I will live with it for now.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

raggedykat

Post by raggedykat » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:57 pm

Yeah, I can live with it too. Have you ever tried a different size mask?
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Mohandas Gandhi

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:06 pm

I am thinking of getting a hybrid. Since resmed doesn't ship to Canada anymore it means I can't get new "liner" thingies anyway.

I love the facemask I have. It makes me feel so "secure" I am not sure I like the idea of shoving things up my nose.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

wheezewiz

Post by wheezewiz » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:09 pm

Since starting CPAP last November I always have watery eyes in the morning, but no itching. I just have to keep dabbing my eyes with tissue (or the sleeve of my shirt) until it resolves. I have used a variety of nasal pillow masks without a difference. Just a minor inconvenience.

Frank Morris

SaltLakeJan

Post by SaltLakeJan » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi raggedykat, I have a similar problem. My mask fits close to my eyes. Initially, it caused some irritation. However, after using cpap on a regular basis it dries the natural moisture from my eyes by morning. I have tried little eye mask, (like they give you on Transalantic flights) but it doesn't change the situation. After 7 months, my eyes are so dry and sore by morning I can't open them without pain. I keep eye drops in my bedside table, I grope for them and put drops in my eyes - wait a few minutes then can open. I have taken my mask to the dme, they cannot find a leak. I have checked with both my sleep doctor. Sleep doctor suggested the eye mask (which I have) & opthomologist. (he didn't have a clue)

And like you kittykat, my eyes are sore and have excess moisture for a couple of hrs in the morning.

My mask has to be leaking,but I can't locate a leak by my eyes. I have tried a narrow strip of moleskin, but it gets dislodged quickly. I tried a piece of a cotton ball - bad idea. little strands tickle my eyes. I can't use a ff. DME can't fit one that does not leak.

Any suggestion from the forum Jan

Edited to add: I started with nasal pillows, they caused deep sores in nares - so they aren't an option.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:23 pm

My mask has to be leaking,but I can't locate a leak by my eyes.
Same problem - there probably is no leak in the mask - the leak is in the connection to the tear ducts in the nasal cavity.

I tried wearing a cover over my eyes - it would have had to be a hurricane to get through that fabric - eyes were still red.

Brian123

Post by Brian123 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:38 pm

My eyes have also changed since starting CPAP.

Could the increased air pressure behind the eyes a cause?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:49 pm

Could the increased air pressure behind the eyes a cause?
I am positive that is it.
Previously when I had sinus problems my eyes would get weird things happening too. If my sinuses get inflamed I see bright sparkles that move from the center of my field of vision slowly out of range - very pretty makes the world look like an impressionist painting, but it means I can't really see things to focus on. Your sinus can push on your optic nerves.

The first time I got it I went to ER and they thought I had a brain tumor until Dr Big Shot came and insisted they do a sinus X-Ray.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:05 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:...I am not sure I like the idea of shoving things up my nose.
They don't really go 'inside' the nose, more at the the end of the nose with the opening and a bit of surrounding silicon just inside. The sorta 'funnel' shape prevents them from sliding too far inside; if they do, the pillows are too small and likely won't seal well. Ever had a really runny nose and held a Kleenex at the end with just a bit of pressure? That's sorta what they feel like.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

pagebypage

Post by pagebypage » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:18 pm

raggedykat wrote:I am still having problems with my eyes itching and watering for hours after I get up. Last night I was checking where the mask is on my face and noticed that the cushions sit right in the corners of each of my eyes. If I pull the mask down any it is going off the edge of my chin and I think if the mask were a smaller size it wouldn't cover the width of my mouth. Wow, the picture I have painted of what my face looks like! Close set eyes with a big wide mouth. But it just seems like I need a mask that is narrower between my eyes but the same everywhere else. Any suggestions? I look terrible at work all morning! My numbers are great so other than that I am not having any problems.
I have had the same problem. The eye doctor says I have developed blepharitis (an irritation of the eyelids somewhat like dandruff) from the leaking air blowing across my eyes, so I now have to do an eyewash every day. If not treated, the ducts may get clogged and cause frequent sties or other infections. You obviously have the wrong size or type of mask for your face.

I have used lots of different kinds of masks from pillows to nasal, full face and hybrid. My recommendations to avoid dry eye are nasal pillows (Swift LT is a good one), the Quattro, or a hybrid (Liberty). The pillows and hybrids don't seal anywhere near the eye, so you won't get air blowing across your eyes. The Swift LT doesn't have to be sized to either your eyes or your mouth, so I am thinking that is the best choice for you. The Liberty will need to fit your mouth, but it comes in three mouth sizes. Again no worry about the eyes. The Quattro, a full face mask, has a better system for sealing around the eyes, but it could stand to be better for my face shape. It might be just right for you.

stacia123

Post by stacia123 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:08 am

For what it's worth, with my full face mask I get leaks up near the nose all the time. The air blows straight into my eyes. I've tried 4 masks, they all do the exact same thing so it must be the way my cheeks and/or nose are shaped. Thus far the best solution I've come up with is some heavy duty gel-type eye drops just before bed, then heavy duty liquid eye drops in the morning when I get up. It's not perfect but it has definitely helped the dryness.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:52 am

from the leaking air blowing across my eyes,....You obviously have the wrong size or type of mask for your face.
NO NO NO - there is nothing blowing into my eyes NOTHING. Even if I wear a blindfold, a washcloth, you name it it still happens.

VAIN 2

Post by VAIN 2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:11 pm

I am 51 yrs Young. I use the ResMed Mirage Quattro. I solved my Dry eyes, Wrinkles,Sores on nose and forehead by doing the following. My sleep doctor APPROVED both products and now I have solved ALL my problems and my skin looks FANTASTIC- WRINKLES Disappearing! MANY are GONE- NO crows feet. No 11 lines!- NO DRY EYES! Fine lines and some DEEP Lines GONE! No mask leaks.(and I'm a smoker, Allergies-gluclosomine,shellfish and sensitive skin...)THEY WILL NOT HARM your mask! I ware 2 eye masks every night. 1st the EYE MASK from TALIKA. -can still be found on line too. This mask is UNBELIEVABLE!- I have used it 6 times. Every morning a more beautiful result! Place the mask under my CPAP mask cover eyes,ware it all night long. Feels Great too. It stopped Dry eye, reduced wrinkles! No sore on my nose. 2nd I ware a CUPRON EYE MASK on my forehead. Feels great NO more Sores on forehead! Claims that over time will reduce wrinkles. Also used 6 times. NOW here's the trick: Every other night I switch mask positions! TALIKA to the forehead and Cupron to the EYES. Then the next night the opposite. Why? TALIKA is removing the DEEP Vertical forehead wrinkles-Almost gone now!- This product is UNBELIEVABLE! No problems using my mask this way! MY Sleep Center Doctor tells me GO for it I look GREAT!- And my CPAP machine card yesterday read 100% cured APNEA! He told me he is going to buy the TALIKA MASK because he see's the results. He checked my mask-No problems he checked both product ingredients NO Problems! PLUS you can try both products with a money back guarantee! I have never ever before ever endorsed a product. Now I want to help others with all these problems!--This really works!
VAIN

nobody

Post by nobody » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:19 pm

I have the same problem with the Quattro. You can't really feel the leaks, but they are there. I think the air also goes up my tear ducts, but since switching to the simplicity my eyes do not get so dry at night. But I can still use the Quattro when I have to (when I have sinus congestion) and crank up the humidifier and this seems to solve the dry eye problem from the Quattro. But I have dry eyes anyway the CPAP just make it worse at night. I have punctal plugs in my lower lids. I couldn't tolerate them in the upper lids too (eyes watered too much during the day). I don't buy expensive eye drops anymore. I use a cup of distilled water plus a teaspoon of sea salt, boil it the microwave (in a glass measuring cup) then I put it into a small glass jug for storage. It's one of those jugs meant for salad dressings. I got an eye wash kit for the eye cup and when my eyes are feeling really dry I wash them with that solution. The thicker eye drops that you buy did nothing for me and this really helps because I can use as much of it as I want without breaking the bank. BTW, I found that an xtra small Quattro was a bit better than the small one. The width across the mouth is the same when you go down the sizes on that mask. The size is just a shorter length but the width stays the same. This way I could put it further down on my nose so it wasn't so close to the eyes. Oh and I've tried several other FFM and most of them were not skinny enough across the nose to really be away from my eyes enough. That is one of many reasons I switched to the simplicity. Oh yeah, taking fish oil pills regularly has also helped my dry eyes. My eye doctor had actually suggested this to me, I guess the omega3 oils help with eye lubrication so the tears don't evaporate so fast. It really does help, not a huge help, but noticable enough that I know if I've been forgetting to take the pill.
raggedykat wrote:I am still having problems with my eyes itching and watering for hours after I get up. Last night I was checking where the mask is on my face and noticed that the cushions sit right in the corners of each of my eyes. If I pull the mask down any it is going off the edge of my chin and I think if the mask were a smaller size it wouldn't cover the width of my mouth. Wow, the picture I have painted of what my face looks like! Close set eyes with a big wide mouth. But it just seems like I need a mask that is narrower between my eyes but the same everywhere else. Any suggestions? I look terrible at work all morning! My numbers are great so other than that I am not having any problems.