Air Comming Out My Eye

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Titrator

Air Comming Out My Eye

Post by Titrator » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:58 pm

Hi Folks,

Last night I laid down to sleep and put my breeze on. I was trying to dose off and I felt a small amount of air bubbling under my eye lid. It even made a small sound as it escaped from under my eye lid. When I would pull my eye lid open, you could hear a small amount air comming up.

I did the old scuba trick of holding my nosem, closing my mouth, and blowing my ears clear. That seemed to do the trick.

Is there anyone else that has had this happen?

Regards,

Titrator

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:02 pm

omg. Well, I've read a few posts on other boards that what you described has happened to a few people. The idea of an air leak coming *out* of the eye socket (tear duct? wherever) makes me cringe. Glad you found a "work-around" to make it stop for you.

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:33 pm

rested gal wrote:omg. Well, I've read a few posts on other boards that what you described has happened to a few people. The idea of an air leak coming *out* of the eye socket (tear duct? wherever) makes me cringe. Glad you found a "work-around" to make it stop for you.
How about this for a theory: there is air present in the tear duct, and pressure from the cpap machine makes pressure in the duct higher than atmospheric pressure causing it to escape?

Other than that - any ENTs on the list?

Rob

tiredted

Post by tiredted » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:11 pm

Ever watch David Letterman's stupid human tricks? People can actually squirt milk out their tear ducts. It isn't unheard of and I'm sure you experienced a similar thing only with air!

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:26 pm

Thats why they call the mask Breeze.. You never know where its going to leak from !!

Cheers,

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:05 pm

Hey Ted,

Are we going to have to start recomending the respironics total face mask for people with "eye leaks"

I've been taping my mouth shut, Do I have to start taping my eyes shut too. My wife with think the machine has made me crazy!

I (eye) hope it doesn't continue to happen for you!

Never a dull day on cpap
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

imacpappro

Post by imacpappro » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:02 pm

Ted,

Darth Wader is right on the money. Sounds like its time for a Total Full Face Mask. The Total Full Face Mask would equalize the pressure for the mouth, nose and eyes. Don't tape your eyes, we should really have a discussion for those of you who tape your mouth.

ICP

AirHog

Post by AirHog » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:05 pm

Hey.......... was that your eye............ or did you fart? hehehe

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:33 pm

Hey now... I thought my experience was a little bit odd, but there must be others with squirting eyes? Aye?

No Full Head mask for me.. They don't make one big enough...

T

Edie

Post by Edie » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:18 pm

There is a duct that drains excess tears into the nose.

I know this because when I have a bad cold and blow my nose, I get mucus in my left eye. Talk about EEEW!

Ted, you don't have it so bad. I'm glad to know that equalizing seemed to fix it. I've worried that I would have that problem sooner or later.
I got used to wearing contacts & braces, and now I'm used to CPAP, too.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:25 pm

Ted,

Thanks for being a good sport. We're all getting a chuckle at your expense.

We all know now that when this happens to one of us we won't be freaked out.

This would be an interesting problem if it was severe. Maybe F&P would have to come out with an ocular interface.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Edgar L

Post by Edgar L » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:34 am

Titrator wrote:Hey now... I thought my experience was a little bit odd, but there must be others with squirting eyes? Aye?

No Full Head mask for me.. They don't make one big enough...

T
I had the same thing happen to me. On the first couple of nights I used CPAP air was escaping from my eye socket all night long.

I was / am using a full face mask BTW.

I can get the same effect, sometimes, with blowing my nose I can feel air come put of my eye scoket.

Edgar L

karmich

Post by karmich » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:59 am

This is a very interesting topic indeed. Unfortunately Titrator I can't say that I have experience the same thing. If it does happen to me though I'll be glad I read your post because I would have completely freaked out. I have been on BiPap for 2 1/2 weeks and I must say I have had some seriously dry and crusty (sorry if too graphic) eyes. I have tried the Activa and the Breeze and both are equally drying to my eyes. I am pretty sure there is no air leaking from the masks or nasal pillows and that the vent is pointed away from my face but to no avail. I have a heated humidifier and use it on the next to the highest setting. My next step is to try some eye moisture drops before I go to bed. I hope this will do the trick. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

karmich

Post by karmich » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:05 am

This is a very interesting topic indeed. Unfortunately Titrator I can't say that I have experience the same thing. If it does happen to me though I'll be glad I read your post because I would have completely freaked out. I have been on BiPap for 2 1/2 weeks and I must say I have had some seriously dry and crusty (sorry if too graphic) eyes. I have tried the Activa and the Breeze and both are equally drying to my eyes. I am pretty sure there is no air leaking from the masks or nasal pillows and that the vent is pointed away from my face but to no avail. I have a heated humidifier and use it on the next to the highest setting. My next step is to try some eye moisture drops before I go to bed. I hope this will do the trick. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Handgunner45

Post by Handgunner45 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:07 pm

bigpaulo,

Just so that you know. All I have ever used is a full face mask and I have this problem as well. I just have to make sure that I do not get rid of all my nasal congestion before I mask up. A FF mask is probably not the answer.
"Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." --Red Green

http://www.keepsakeacres.com