How do you use your Neilmed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fredpb

How do you use your Neilmed?

Post by fredpb » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:40 pm

How do you use your Neilmed sinus wash?
-------------------------
Fred B.
Greenwood, SC

Babette

Post by Babette » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:46 pm

I tear off a corner of the packet, dump the solution in, fill with hot tap water, cover the hole, shake, and squirt.

I lean over the sink, tilt my head toward the free nostril, and gently squeeze. Slowly and gently. Leave my mouth open, and breathe through the mouth. Do about half a bottle in each nostril.

I haven't worked up to doing it daily. I keep convincing myself I don't have time today.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:57 pm

Neilmed makes a nasal wash that comes in an aerosol can, which looks very convenient.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:11 pm

I make my own using RO water, fill the glass, put in the salt and pinch of baking soda, stick it in the microwave and nuke it for 30 seconds, squirt half in one nostril with head over the sink (helps to tilt your head back so it gets in deep), then use the rest on the other nostril blow my nose afterward. The aerosol cans like SimplySaline are okay for moistening the nares they don't flush anything out, that is the object behind this to flush out smog, dust, allergens that lead to nasal inflammation and allergies.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

tuna

Post by tuna » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:29 am

Just don't blow both nostrals like you would blow your nose! Or you will have one hell of a pain and ringing in the ears for 2 days!

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

Lee Lee

Post by Lee Lee » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:00 am

I use distilled water only. Fill up the bottle, heat in the microwave 27 seconds, hang over the sink and sqeeze half in the the nosrtril. Then I blow gently. Then I do the other side. Blow gently again.
It helps alot, I think.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:28 am

I really can't figure out why anyone wouldn't use straight tap water. You DRINK IT, don't you? If you don't, then I understand. I'm coating the inside of my body with tap water several times a day, so I don't mind coating the inside of my nasal passages.

I guess I'm lucky and have decent tap water.

It's not like the minerals are going to build up and cause lime scale, like they would in your humidfier...

Cheers,
B.

Sleepdeprived

Re: How do you use your Neilmed?

Post by Sleepdeprived » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:45 pm

fredpb wrote:How do you use your Neilmed sinus wash?
I have an alternate treatment

My wife makes a solution for me. She takes an empty 1/2 gallon bottle fills with warm water and adds 1 tablespoon of salt

I use a baby ear syringe. Two shots in each nostril over the bathroom sink and blow nose afterwards

Sleepdeprived

lilsheba

Post by lilsheba » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:25 pm

Anonymous wrote:I really can't figure out why anyone wouldn't use straight tap water. You DRINK IT, don't you? If you don't, then I understand. I'm coating the inside of my body with tap water several times a day, so I don't mind coating the inside of my nasal passages.

It's not like the minerals are going to build up and cause lime scale, like they would in your humidfier...

Cheers,
B.
OH GOD NO I most certainly do NOT drink tap water. It's nasty. I always have bottled water in a cooler around for that...and that's what I use in the NeilMed rinse too. I fill about a third with hot water from cooler, then the rest of the way with cold. Insert in nostril and squeeze, about half per side. Blow nose and I'm done. I am doing it twice a day and I tink it's keeping me from getting the usual going back to school cold that the kids always bring home.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:32 pm

Anonymous wrote:I really can't figure out why anyone wouldn't use straight tap water. You DRINK IT, don't you? If you don't, then I understand. I'm coating the inside of my body with tap water several times a day, so I don't mind coating the inside of my nasal passages.

Cheers,
B.
YOU may drink it, but not here. There is a reason they put all that chlorine bleach in your drinking water...to kill the dead rat that has been floating in your municipal water tank for several weeks, then they may add fluoride so your teeth don't rot and other unknown chemicals from residual effects of chlorination to make it EPA passable.

All stuff I don't want in my sinus cavity, the object of doing a rhino rinse is to flush out environmental contaminates that lead to inflammation and allergies.

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/uscities.asp
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

msheda

Post by msheda » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:38 pm

YOU may drink it, but not here. There is a reason they put all that chlorine bleach in your drinking water...to kill the dead rat that has been floating in your municipal water tank for several weeks, then they may add fluoride so your teeth don't rot and other unknown chemicals from residual effects of chlorination to make it EPA passable.
Monk, is that you ?

frapilu

Post by frapilu » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:31 am

I fill the little bottle to the line with distilled water then pour in the contents on one package. Lean over the sink and squirt up one nostril and it leaves out the other, the alternate. I normally end up with 2 squirts each nostril. Then I blow my nose.

Before my septoplasty 5 weeks ago, I did this every night before bed. My ENT didn't use stents for the septoplasty so I was using NeilMed the day I came home from the septoplasty. For the first couple of weeks, I swear I used NeilMed every half hour (except that I didn't blow my nose the first week). When I saw the doctor the week after my surgery, he was very happy with my healing and told me to continue the NeilMed. Now, I use it twice a day -- morning and before bed.

France

Hoover

Post by Hoover » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:37 pm

I use it 2x/day pretty consistently and my allergies have improved immensely.

I use warm tap water (that I don't drink but I don't have/want a microwave and if I had to boil the water I wouldn't rinse), add kosher salt with a tiny bit of baking soda (I make a mix up a put a tiny spoon of it into the bottle).

wash my hands, cover the hole, shake the bottle. lean way over the sink, open mouth, squirt in 1/2 of bottle. Repeat on other side. Blow gently.

Et voila, clean sinuses - I rarely blow my nose during the day and haven't been sick yet.

KarenL

Sinus Rinse

Post by KarenL » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:05 pm

I am a life-long allergy sufferer. I have taken almost every allergy medicine possible and went through two different series of allergy shots. I am allergic basically to anything outside, most pets, and most makeups. I discovered NeilMed Sinus Rinse and began using it in June. I feel much cleaner using it and feel like I can breath more clearly. I use it in the morning and at night. And recently I switched to making my own mixture of 1/4 tsp of sea salt and 1/4 tsp of baking soda to save money and it works just as well.

Anyway, ever since I started using the sinus rinse in June, a mollar tooth (on top) began hurting only when I would jump up and down, jog, do stairs, or turn my head really fast...it's the weirdest feeling. So I went to the dentist and she explained it is sinus pressure which can affect nerves in the teeth. I then went to an ENT who said that I appear to be fine. I still have this mild tooth pain on and off again. I am pretty sure this pain is due to this sinus rinse because I do not have cavities and started feeling the pain shortly after I began using the sinus rinse.

My question for you guys--has anyone felt any tooth pain since using this rinse??? Or any side effects?

marymoon

Post by marymoon » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:41 pm

Well, I have dental implants and every time I do a nasal rinse, I have to brace myself for the very extremely icky, uncomfortable feeling that comes over me and the implants as the water enters the sinuses. The feeling subsides after a few moments, but I dread it every time.

When it first started I thought my implants had perforated the sinus cavity, but my ENT said everything looked fine. He explained that there is a very thin membrane lining the bottom of the maxillary sinus cavity and teeth/implants can be very sensitive to nasal rinses.

I guess you're just one of the lucky ones, like me!