New ResMed10 not delivering enough pressure with ResMed Nose Pillow mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Happy2Sleep

New ResMed10 not delivering enough pressure with ResMed Nose Pillow mask

Post by Happy2Sleep » Wed May 24, 2023 2:39 pm

I used my first ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto for 5 years until it died. I started with a face mask covering my nose and mouth. On a whim, I tried the Nose Pillow option. I set the ResMed 10 menu settings to Pillow when I started using the nasal pillows and was fine with that setup for 3 years until the ResMed10 died. I bought a new ResMed10 Auto from a cpaptalk forum member. It works fine, but it is not delivering as much air as the ResMed10 that died. That's not keeping the nasal pillow "inflated" enough and I'm getting leaks around my nostrils that has never happened before when using nasal pillows. I feel like I have to take a deep breath every once in a while, something I never had to do with the original ResMed10. And it feels like I have to "inhale harder" to get air out of the new ResMed10.

The original ResMed10 produced enough pressure that there was constantly air escaping from the 2 "exhaust ports" on the nasal pillow device even if I hold my breath. Because of that, it feels like I am re-breathing the same air. My SP02 numbers were running 98% +/-1% with the original ResMed10. With this new ResMed10, I get readings more like 92-94. So that confirms I'm not getting the "full breaths" of fresh air I was getting with the previous ResMed10. When I exhale into the Nasal Pillow mask, it feels like only about 50% of the exhaled breath leaves through the "exhaust ports" on the nasal pillow device while the other 50% is pushed back into the tube attached to the nasal pillows. So on the next inhale, I get some partially oxygen-depleted air to breathe again.

Is there a way for me to adjust the pressure and volume of air the new machine delivers? (am am a retired electrical/mechanical/computer engineer, so I have all kinds of hand-tools and mechanical/programming skills. I put the SD card from the original ResMed10 into the new ResMed10, good? bad? doesn't matter either way?

Miss Emerita

Re: New ResMed10 not delivering enough pressure with ResMed Nose Pillow mask

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed May 24, 2023 2:49 pm

A couple of quick questions.

What brand and make of mask are you now using?

Did you transfer all of the settings from your old machine to your new one? In particular, did you transfer minimum pressure, maximum pressure, and EPR?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed May 24, 2023 2:59 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:49 pm
A couple of quick questions.

What brand and make of mask are you now using?

Did you transfer all of the settings from your old machine to your new one? In particular, did you transfer minimum pressure, maximum pressure, and EPR?
AND! are you using a heated hose (if not, which size?), and were you using a heated hose before?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Happy2Sleep

Post by Happy2Sleep » Wed May 24, 2023 3:13 pm

Answers to follow-up questions:

> Brand of mask currently used: ResMed Nasal Pillow AirFit P10 -- Same one used with both old/dead ResMed AirSense 10 and the new one.

> Did you transfer all of the settings from your old machine to your new one? In particular, did you transfer minimum pressure, maximum pressure, and EPR? This sounds VERY much like it's my problem. I don't know how to do that. I made the visible menu settings the same, but was unaware of these settings needing to be input. I will search for "setting" those on cpaptalk. Thanks! Presumably there's some way to see the settings on the previous "10" so they can be transferred to the new "10".

> are you using a heated hose (if not, which size?), and were you using a heated hose before? Yes, using the standard ResMed AirSense 10 compatible heated hose. Used the same hose with the previous and current AirSense 10.

Happy2Sleep

Post by Happy2Sleep » Wed May 24, 2023 4:10 pm

Problem fixed by accessing the clinical menu and copying old settings to new ResMed AirSense 10. Now the new one feels exactly like the old one before it died. Minimum Pressure was 4, now set to 10 and Max was set to 20, now set to 13. ESR was Off on the new one but set to On/3 on the old one so changed that setting also. The nose pillow mask feels correct now, the pressure feels correct. Much more air pumping in to keep fresh air in the tube and in the little reservoir around the exhaust ports on the Pillow. First time accessing the Clinical Menu... I didn't even know it was there. And I tried the other combinations of pressing 2 buttons at the same time, but I had not tried THAT combination before (Home + Select). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

stevenal

Post by stevenal » Wed May 24, 2023 4:14 pm

To access the Clinical Menu:
Press and hold the dial and the Home button for three seconds.
The Home screen is displayed with an unlock icon in the top right corner of the screen.
AirSence 10 Autoset, Dreamstation 2 backup, Swift FX, Z1 for travel.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed May 24, 2023 5:41 pm

Happy2Sleep wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:10 pm
Problem fixed by accessing the clinical menu and copying old settings to new ResMed AirSense 10.

while i had nothing to do with the solving of your problem, i'm so very glad it turned out to be such a simple fix!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed May 24, 2023 5:42 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:49 pm

Did you transfer all of the settings from your old machine to your new one?
good work, you!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 24, 2023 5:58 pm

This always makes us so happy!