Cat has destroyed my hoses!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CARYLONLY

Cat has destroyed my hoses!

Post by CARYLONLY » Sat May 20, 2023 5:05 am

Hi! This is my first visit here. I am excited to find such a great site and support from others. I stumbled upon this while doing research on something to cover my hose.

My cat, Greison, seems to have a love/hate affair with the hose. I have tried a few different things.
First, I have had success with duct tape to cover the holes, until I decided that there should be duct tape hoses!

I thought I would try finding a similar type of hose that was bigger, so that I could use it as an outer guard/ sleeve. I found some, but I haven't found one with big enough opening to fit because the end attachments are too big. I scour the thrift stores trying to spark an idea. I still haven't abandoned this idea.

I have also taken jeans and slipped the hose inside the leg.. But Greison crawled up the leg!
The "sleeve " needs to conform more to the hose size.

I have covered my machine. HA..makes him more curious. So far the best concealment technique I have used is to put machine in pillow case..hide hose as possible, run the hose between mattress and box springs..route it under blanket(or another pillow)..and twist little cloth around the tube and partly covering my face. But who can sleep like that??? Lol...I even funneled the hose up my pj's!
That sort of worked.

Locking Greison out at bedtime? HA..that is a bigger challenge. It sounded like a football was being kicked against the door. For hours. And hours. And more hours..days. Will they allow Cpaps in psych wards? ;^))

I finally decided that sticking his head into one of those lamp shade guards will be the solution!

Almost not kidding...right now I am on a mission to find the ultimate solution. I will keep all of you posted.

Please share your ideas, suggestions, etc.

PS..another idea to keep the hose out of the way? I have used one of those ironing board/cord minder that attaches to the board. You can attach to a headboard, side table, etc. Use a little elastic band..similar to what little girls use for piny tails..has 2 big plastic balls and you loop under band to secure.

Pps: I also put machine in a cheapie drawer I found at thrift ship. Just put inside drawer and cut hole in back for hose.

Thanks, everybody! Send comments.
Carylonly

Conrad

Re: Cat has destroyed my hoses!

Post by Conrad » Sat May 20, 2023 6:29 am

Off the top of my head, thinking about some sort of sleeve to cover the hose.

Perhaps one of those corrugated plastic hoses used for sump pumps? I believe the inner diameter is large enough for the CPAP hose to fit inside.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Sat May 20, 2023 7:23 am

I have cats, big Maine Coons. They sleep around me like a good pack should.

Like dogs, cats are pack animals. Right now your cat is the alpha and the hose belongs to him. That needs to flip. You're the alpha, and the hose is yours. Once that happens, the hose attacks will stop. 24 hours of nose-bopping and spraying with a water sprayer does the trick. Once the proper order is established your hose problem will be gone. Your cat will happily accept this situation. Instinct and evolution are powerful.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat May 20, 2023 10:31 am

While cat 'families' may sleep and travel together, cats are not 'pack' animals and may or may not respect 'alphas' as such. If they respect you in general, you may be able to train them to leave the hoses alone, but that's another story.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat May 20, 2023 10:41 am

Why not just put a hose cover on it? They make them. I've made several for myself both crochet and sewn.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 20, 2023 11:08 am

Cat needs playtime--lots of it!
And a totally irresistable scratching post.
He is attacking your hose out of frustration.
You need to be the boss, but kitty needs an outlet!

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat May 20, 2023 12:13 pm

Like dogs, cats are pack animals. Right now your cat is the alpha and the hose belongs to him. That needs to flip. You're the alpha, and the hose is yours. Once that happens, the hose attacks will stop. 24 hours of nose-bopping and spraying with a water sprayer does the trick. Once the proper order is established your hose problem will be gone. Your cat will happily accept this situation. Instinct and evolution are powerful.
Not only capable of making up crap about CPAP therapy. But equally capable of making up crap about any topic.
kitty needs an outlet!
One like this perhaps?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 20, 2023 1:24 pm

Haha, good one!
Of couse, I meant a scratcher, or play time.
Cats may sleep a lot--but when they move, it's INTENSE!
They have too much nervous energy to just "walk it off".
The beast must release!

takver

Post by takver » Sat May 20, 2023 3:22 pm

My little darling Aslan is also a hose attacker and biter, though not as persistent as your kitty! Keeping him out of the bedroom at night is also absolutely not an option, so I feel your pain. :D

Maybe something like this would work? It comes in many different diameters and lengths, and can be cut to whatever length you need:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6GXXRBL

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat May 20, 2023 4:09 pm

Cage. In the garage.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat May 20, 2023 5:19 pm

Takver - you have a cat... but have apparently not had the recent problems I've had with mine - that white stuff looks like the perfect cat claw catcher, and having dealt with 2 torn claws (other reasons) recently, I'm not sure i'd want to try that!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 20, 2023 8:08 pm

I would look for Mylar sheet, to wrap the hose.
It crinkles like aluminum foil--and some cats hate that.
It would be interesting to wrap strips of foil around the hose.

warriortwo

Post by warriortwo » Sat May 20, 2023 9:37 pm

loggerhead12 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:23 am
24 hours of nose-bopping and spraying with a water sprayer does the trick.
Please, as a former veterinary worker and cat owner for decades, please do not use a spray bottle on your cat. If you want to know why, go to YouTube and search for "Jackson Galaxy spray bottle".

I am grappling with the same issue because I recently got kittens, and they're teething. When they approach the tubes I will firmly say no, and give them something appropriate to chew on instead: kicker toys, paper towel tubes, silvervine chews, etc. Keep a basket of these by the bed.

I also make an effort to stow the tubes behind my headboard to remove them from temptation. They've chewed a couple times, and I actually use washi tape (masking tape works too) to patch up the holes, because I want to easily remove it on cleaning day. The washi tape works fine and is easy to work into the grooves.

Make sure the cats get lots of playtime every day.

You can get tube wraps on Amazon, or via any CPAP shop, but they only make 6 foot hose wraps, and I find that the ResMed hose is actually about 4-6 inches longer than the wrap. So I went to Etsy, to find someone who can make a custom size wrap for me. Because I use a front-tube mask that has a separate tube, I also ordered a separate length of wrap just for that. My mask doesn't have a quick release, so I wanted to have the part of the mask that connects with the main tube open so I can remove it at night. (I would post a picture but I just ordered it and I'm waiting for it to be delivered.)

However you get your wrap, wash it with your regular laundry before you use it; sometimes the novel smells that come with new fabric can attract your cat.

warriortwo

Post by warriortwo » Sat May 20, 2023 9:49 pm

takver wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:22 pm
Maybe something like this would work? It comes in many different diameters and lengths, and can be cut to whatever length you need:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6GXXRBL
I would try this one: https://shorturl.at/blzTX

I got both types of cable wraps for all my electrical cords before I adopted my two kittens. They love to chew on the mesh tubing, but they leave the plastic tubing alone.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 20, 2023 11:29 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 4:09 pm
Cage. In the garage.
Fear reincarnation, granny.
You could return as the bad kitty, stuck in the cage.