Most accurate recording SpO2 sensor?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
YouTakeMyBreathAway

Most accurate recording SpO2 sensor?

Post by YouTakeMyBreathAway » Mon May 08, 2023 11:11 am

I feel like the Wellue O2Ring isn't very accurate and fluctuates up and down even when I just sit awake.

What other devices record and are more accurate?

amenite

Re: Most accurate recording SpO2 sensor?

Post by amenite » Mon May 08, 2023 2:01 pm

YouTakeMyBreathAway wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:11 am
I feel like the Wellue O2Ring isn't very accurate and fluctuates up and down even when I just sit awake.

What other devices record and are more accurate?
I found it was more accurate when I placed on a larger finger, so it was a bit more snugged up. Seemed to get more consistent results that way.

YouTakeMyBreathAway

Post by YouTakeMyBreathAway » Mon May 08, 2023 2:59 pm

That's good to know. I'll keep it on my thumb - not in possession of any larger fingers unfortunately. :)

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Mon May 08, 2023 3:44 pm

I have the O2Ring and have compared it to a couple finger tip oximeters I have and it is usually fairly close. I do find that over the course of wearing it at night, it occasionally gives some questionable readings, such as fast spikes of O2 sat drops. I'm not sure if the drops are real, as they mostly don't seem to show up in OSCAR (I don't know if OSCAR has the resolution to display fast spikes or not).
I had the O2Ring prior to going on CPAP and its data was what I brought to my doc for a diagnosis of possible apnea for which he scheduled a sleep study. I look at the O2Ring data daily in the morning and if something appears wonky I'll grab the SD card out of the CPAP and load it into OSCAR along with the O2Ring data. I'm not too concerned about the accuracy of the O2Ring, but more its ability recognize episodes of O2 sat fluctuations that I can then import into OSCAR to see what else was going on.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 08, 2023 5:48 pm

My thumb works best in most oximeters.
I wear ladies large gloves and medium unisex nitrile gloves.

YouTakeMyBreathAway

Post by YouTakeMyBreathAway » Fri May 19, 2023 11:50 am

I switched from the base of my thumb to a kids O2Ring and attaching it at the tip of my ring finger.

My SpO2 is now really stable throughout the night except for when I turn on my back and right as I fall asleep. My baseline also increased from 96-97% to 98-99%.

My theory is that the base of the finger is not an accurate place to measure SpO2 levels for some people, likely due to differences in thickness of the skin in that area and differences in perfusion to that area from person to person.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri May 19, 2023 12:08 pm

I have the O2Ring and have compared it to a couple finger tip oximeters I have and it is usually fairly close.
I'm not sure "fairly close" is acceptable in oximeters. The range of "normal" is from 94% spO2 to 100%. So if the reading is consistently off by 2 or 3% spO2, it's not "just" 2 or 3%. It's off up to 50% of the normal range. That's a big difference.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 19, 2023 12:22 pm

I took my brand new Dr Talbot's (Target) oximeter along to a doctor's appointment.
It read exactly the same as their expensive professional meter.

amenite

Post by amenite » Fri May 19, 2023 12:56 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 12:08 pm
I have the O2Ring and have compared it to a couple finger tip oximeters I have and it is usually fairly close.
I'm not sure "fairly close" is acceptable in oximeters. The range of "normal" is from 94% spO2 to 100%. So if the reading is consistently off by 2 or 3% spO2, it's not "just" 2 or 3%. It's off up to 50% of the normal range. That's a big difference.
Seems these devices are not expected to be as accurate as some might believe they are, looks like a bit of a crap shoot comparing readings:

The typical accuracy (reported as Accuracy Root Mean Square or Arms) of recently FDA-cleared pulse oximeters is within 2 to 3% of arterial blood gas values. This generally means that during testing, about 66% of SpO2 values were within 2 or 3% of blood gas values and about 95% of SpO2 values were within 4 to 6% of blood gas values, respectively.
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/saf ... munication

Kingsway

Post by Kingsway » Tue May 23, 2023 8:22 am

I've been very happy with this one.... ( Same phone app as O2 ring ) -
https://www.viatomtech.com/checkme-o2
- Available on Amazon

Just bought a 2nd hand (6500 hr) Resmed Airsense 10 Auto set (Sadly with a noisy motor- but IS compatibl with OSCAR !!)