Inspire

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Parko1775

Inspire

Post by Parko1775 » Thu May 18, 2023 5:32 pm

I would just like to say the Inspire devise that I had implanted not only was brutally painful (it bled for a month, and I cold hardly leave the house without making someone sick) but it also was totally ineffective. I was basically lied to and told there would be two "small" incisions. Right!! The swelling was as large as a softball and black and blue for months. I had a sleep study done after going through this living hell and there was little to no benefit. I now have a nasty 4 inch scar on my throat and a huge lump where the "small" battery is in my chest. You can actually see the battery sticking out. I've had many people ask what it is, as I'm in good shape and have little body fat, so it is very pronounced and obvious. I would, obviously, not recommend this on my worst enemy. Even if it did work, as they say, the pain, suffering and scarring are NOT worth it. Buy a $27 mouth piece from Walmart, it's MUCH more effective. This procedure should be outlawed!!

amenite

Re: Inspire

Post by amenite » Thu May 18, 2023 6:45 pm

Parko1775 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:32 pm
I would just like to say the Inspire devise that I had implanted not only was brutally painful (it bled for a month, and I cold hardly leave the house without making someone sick) but it also was totally ineffective. I was basically lied to and told there would be two "small" incisions. Right!! The swelling was as large as a softball and black and blue for months. I had a sleep study done after going through this living hell and there was little to no benefit. I now have a nasty 4 inch scar on my throat and a huge lump where the "small" battery is in my chest. You can actually see the battery sticking out. I've had many people ask what it is, as I'm in good shape and have little body fat, so it is very pronounced and obvious. I would, obviously, not recommend this on my worst enemy. Even if it did work, as they say, the pain, suffering and scarring are NOT worth it. Buy a $27 mouth piece from Walmart, it's MUCH more effective. This procedure should be outlawed!!
Sorry to hear this is was such a bad experience for you. I know one fellow CPAPer, former co-worked who had it and it seems to have worked out very well for him. I asked him what if you ever need an MRI and his response surprised me, something to the effect of "why would I ever need an MRI?". Suggested a total lack of forethought on his part. I would think you would need an MRI "When you least expect it" like my first one. But I did read someplace these are now approved for use with MRI or something to that effect. Still, I'm not ready to go Borg whether a candidate or not. Hope things improve for you.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu May 18, 2023 7:25 pm

Parkot, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I know someone who had it work out very well, but everyone is different, and having your post here will give people considering it something to think about before deciding it's "easier" than CPAP.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Callen

Post by Callen » Fri May 19, 2023 3:49 pm

amenite wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:45 pm
Parko1775 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:32 pm
Sorry to hear this is was such a bad experience for you. I know one fellow CPAPer, former co-worked who had it and it seems to have worked out very well for him. I asked him what if you ever need an MRI and his response surprised me, something to the effect of "why would I ever need an MRI?". Suggested a total lack of forethought on his part. I would think you would need an MRI "When you least expect it" like my first one. But I did read someplace these are now approved for use with MRI or something to that effect. Still, I'm not ready to go Borg whether a candidate or not. Hope things improve for you.
I believe the previous versions of Inspire were incompatible. The newest model is MRI compatible. https://rtsleepworld.com/2022/07/08/ins ... ompatible/

amenite

Post by amenite » Fri May 19, 2023 4:13 pm

Yes that looks like what I found the last time I checked. For my friend though I am pretty sure his was done back before this was all retro-approved so I would have thought it would have come up somewhere in the pre-implant discussion. Even if not it seemed like the question had never even occurred to him at all. Maybe it was passed over/ignored/non-issue all along but it occurred to me as a question to ask from day one (before it's implanted).

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 21, 2023 1:05 pm

It appears that some measures were taken to prevent the precedure
from being applied to patients for whom it was inappropriate. (Qualification)
Is there any possibility that the screening process has suffered, due to money?