Mitigating Flow Limits

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Billymadison420

Mitigating Flow Limits

Post by Billymadison420 » Fri May 12, 2023 6:03 am

Hey Folks,

I posted a bit back that I am dealing with hypertrophy of the nasal turbinates as well as a deviated septum. Last night I wore a nasal strip (brand name: Intake) that really opens up my nose. I seem to have mitgated most of my snoring, but I am still having flow limits. Beyond getting surgery is there anything else I can be doing for RERA/Flow limits and some of the junky breathing is seems to be causing?

Last night: https://sleephq.com/public/14fdb8c9-156 ... 7f2ba77cb1

Any other tips?

Miss Emerita

Re: Mitigating Flow Limits

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri May 12, 2023 11:40 am

Are you fairly sure your FLs originate in your nose? If they originate further down in your airway, raising your pressure might help some. (I'd suggest raising your EPR, but you're already maxed out.) I also wonder whether there's a positional element to your FLs, given the way they come and go. Is your chin tucked down toward your chest for parts of the night?

But here's the main question on my mind: how rested do you feel during the day? Your AHI is very good, so the question I'm asking is the remaining big one. If you're feeling good during the day, then I'd say you shouldn't worry about the FLs.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Sat May 13, 2023 4:25 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:40 am
Are you fairly sure your FLs originate in your nose? If they originate further down in your airway, raising your pressure might help some. (I'd suggest raising your EPR, but you're already maxed out.) I also wonder whether there's a positional element to your FLs, given the way they come and go. Is your chin tucked down toward your chest for parts of the night?

But here's the main question on my mind: how rested do you feel during the day? Your AHI is very good, so the question I'm asking is the remaining big one. If you're feeling good during the day, then I'd say you shouldn't worry about the FLs.
Hi!

Fatigued and sleepy all day. But much of that can be attributed to Major Depression. I didn't always used to be this way. And even way before CPAP therapy I often felt well rested and excellent. So It can't just be CPAP therapy working or not. I fear I am coming to the end of the road as far as expecting CPAP to work any magic tricks other than helping my Blood Pressure and heart health.

But thank you!

I went back to APAP last night and the Flow limits were much less. Still sleepy. :-p

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun May 14, 2023 12:23 pm

Just to cover all the bases: have you been tested for conditions other than depression that might be responsible for fatigue and sleepiness? Possibilities include anemia, thyroid function, autoimmune disease, Lyme disease, long Covid (if the timing is right), low testosterone (if you're a man), low levels of vitamin D or B12.

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Sun May 14, 2023 2:48 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 12:23 pm
Just to cover all the bases: have you been tested for conditions other than depression that might be responsible for fatigue and sleepiness? Possibilities include anemia, thyroid function, autoimmune disease, Lyme disease, long Covid (if the timing is right), low testosterone (if you're a man), low levels of vitamin D or B12.
Yes to all of the above :-(

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun May 14, 2023 4:33 pm

Sigh. I’m so sorry you’re suffering from such major depression. But good on you for taking care of your long term health with PAP.

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Mon May 15, 2023 8:24 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 4:33 pm
Sigh. I’m so sorry you’re suffering from such major depression. But good on you for taking care of your long term health with PAP.
Thanks so much <3 It's been a wonderful time with all the lovely people on this forum.

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Tue May 23, 2023 9:22 am

So I am waking up with BAD back of my head headaches. I am seeing my ENT tomorrow RE: Deviated Septum/Hypertrophy of the Nasal Turbinates. I feel worse and worse each day. But maybe I am closer and closer to an answer.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue May 23, 2023 11:53 am

Thanks for the update; please let us know how it goes with the ENT. When you talk with him or her, be sure to explain that you hope to reduce your flow limitations in order to improve your sleep. It may surprise your ENT to know how much you're able to learn from your PAP machine's data card, so you may want to explain that too.

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Tue May 23, 2023 5:38 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:53 am
Thanks for the update; please let us know how it goes with the ENT. When you talk with him or her, be sure to explain that you hope to reduce your flow limitations in order to improve your sleep. It may surprise your ENT to know how much you're able to learn from your PAP machine's data card, so you may want to explain that too.
Perfect. Will do. Thank you!

I will also ask about UARS.

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Tue May 30, 2023 6:48 am

Hello all.

Any idea how I cut these out:
FLOW LIMITS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2cw88b6dbjlg7 ... M.png?dl=0

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue May 30, 2023 11:39 am

Raise pressure.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue May 30, 2023 11:42 am

As I mentioned above, EPR can help with FLs, but you are already using an EPR of 3.

You could try raising your pressure to see whether that helps, but if the problems originate in your nose, higher pressure is unlikely to help. The interior of the nose isn't flexible enough to be stented by PAP pressure.

What did your ENT say?

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Tue May 30, 2023 1:27 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:39 am
Raise pressure.
The overall range, or go for fixed? Thx!

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Tue May 30, 2023 1:28 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:42 am
As I mentioned above, EPR can help with FLs, but you are already using an EPR of 3.

You could try raising your pressure to see whether that helps, but if the problems originate in your nose, higher pressure is unlikely to help. The interior of the nose isn't flexible enough to be stented by PAP pressure.

What did your ENT say?
ENT felt strongly that surgery was unlikely to fix my fatigue. He did say that the stress of my mom could just be causing shitty overall sleepy.
Last edited by Billymadison420 on Tue May 30, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.