Owned 4 Remeds and a weird thing has happened with each. Hard to discribe in title. Pls let me know if this happens 2 U

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sreiter

Owned 4 Remeds and a weird thing has happened with each. Hard to discribe in title. Pls let me know if this happens 2 U

Post by sreiter » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:35 am

Thanks in advance for checking this. Its driving me mad.

The best way i can describe it is it seems like from a fraction of a second, what feels like suction is created in my mask and the mask will collapse on to my face via suction or vacuum, then release. It collapse into my face hard enough it'll wake me up and keep me up. This will occur like every 5 seconds or something. I never timed the intervals. Could be more frequently. When i happens, for the duration of the "suction like feel" i dont

I dont think it happens when I first go to sleep. I've tried shutting te cpap off for a few second or unplugging the hose from the mask to see if equaling the pressure in the mask might be the issue with limited success.

This has happened using a resmed S8, S9 and S10. I call resmed back when I had the S9 and they said "it souldnt broken" "we'll send a new one". I swapped it out and the same thing happened immediately.

It doesnt matter the mask. Ive tried 4 different models. the 1st 3 where ones that just cover my entire nose. Now i need one that covers my nose and mouth because I sleep with my mouth open.

Anyone ever experience anything like that ? The worst part is one it wakes me, it keeps me awake because I'm not getting air, and the constant feeling of the mask pushing into my face every few seconds.

LSAT

Re: Owned 4 Remeds and a weird thing has happened with each. Hard to discribe in title. Pls let me know if this happens

Post by LSAT » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:24 am

I have owned and used the S8, S9 and AS10 and have never had those sensations.

Rubicon

Re: Owned 4 Remeds and a weird thing has happened with each. Hard to discribe in title. Pls let me know if this happens

Post by Rubicon » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:42 am

I'll bet it's FOT searches. Need a file to look at to zero in tho.
Last edited by Rubicon on Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
Make each sensation a little bit stronger.
Experience slips away.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:38 am

sreiter wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:35 am
It doesnt matter the mask. Ive tried 4 different models. the 1st 3 where ones that just cover my entire nose. Now i need one that covers my nose and mouth because I sleep with my mouth open.
With the FFM (full face mask - covers nose and mouth), which pressure settings are you using?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:58 am

What pressures are you on?

If your pressure is too low, could you be drawing in very deeply to compensate? This could result in less pressure within the mask and a resulting "collapse". It also explains the sensation of not getting enough air.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:05 pm

sreiter wrote:
The best way i can describe it is it seems like from a fraction of a second, what feels like suction is created in my mask and the mask will collapse on to my face via suction or vacuum, then release.
I think it's important to start out with the realization that what you're describing is not possible, and therefore it must be something else.

If you can accept that, then you'll be moving in the direction of figuring out what's actually happening.
sreiter wrote:
It collapse into my face hard enough it'll wake me up and keep me up.
It's *very* easy to not understand what's happening when you first wake up
sreiter wrote:
This will occur like every 5 seconds or something. I never timed the intervals. Could be more frequently. When i happens, for the duration of the "suction like feel" i dont think it happens when I first go to sleep. I've tried shutting te cpap off for a few second or unplugging the hose from the mask to see if equaling the pressure in the mask might be the issue with limited success.
You didn't give us any real information to go on, but from your comments, I'm going to guess that you're using a full face mask, every full face mask on the market has anti-asphyxiation valves in them that open when the machine is not running and creating pressure If your machine stopped, those valves would open, even more so if there were any sort of vacuum/suction, it would be exceedingly obvious if they opened and then snapped shut again, and since you don't mention that happening, we can probably dismiss that situation.
sreiter wrote:
This has happened using a resmed S8, S9 and S10. I call resmed back when I had the S9 and they said "it souldnt broken" "we'll send a new one". I swapped it out and the same thing happened immediately.
It's not the machine, it's your perceptions.
sreiter wrote:
Ok, my comment about the mask and AA valves only applies to the FFM.
sreiter wrote:
Anyone ever experience anything like that ? The worst part is one it wakes me, it keeps me awake because I'm not getting air, and the constant feeling of the mask pushing into my face every few seconds.
Post data, read the very first post on the forum where it tells you what to do before you post anything here. Then do it, and post some data.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:06 pm

Rubicon wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:42 am
Maybe, but the OP didn't describe the rapid (and usually faint) pulsing that FOT produces. Yes, we need data :)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:17 pm

Did the S8 models actually do the FOT thing?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:20 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:17 pm
I'm pretty sure (never having held one) that the S8 didn't do FOT, because that was one of the things that was trumpeted with the S9 when they upped the internal compute power considerably and started trying to differentiate between obstructives and centrals.

Nice catch!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:31 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:20 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:17 pm
I'm pretty sure (never having held one) that the S8 didn't do FOT, because that was one of the things that was trumpeted with the S9 when they upped the internal compute power considerably and started trying to differentiate between obstructives and centrals.

Nice catch!
That was my thought as well but while the S8 was in use when I started therapy in 2009 I never had a chance to actually use the S8 model. My first experience with ResMed was the S9 model where FOT was wildly touted as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

"Perceptions" are hard to understand quite often and never having experienced what the OP is thinking he is experiencing makes it impossible to offer any ideas.

Need to see the software reports to have any chance in hell of maybe spotting what is going on....even then I am not so sure it will show up.

I have used probably nearly a dozen ResMeds of various models over the years.....never had it (what the OP is describing) happen so I am at a loss.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:47 pm

Could you tell us the makes and models of the masks you've used? And do parts of the masks touch parts of you face during the "collapse"? Which parts of the mask and which parts of your face?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

sreiter

Post by sreiter » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:36 pm

Rubicon wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:42 am
FOT = forced oscillation technique ?

I have both obstructive and central apnea - would that matter or effect FOT?

I'm assuming you're talking about a printout from Oscar. correct?
If so, its been quite a while since I used it. I have to find my card reader.
Any particular section, or should I just dump the whole file?
It may take a days or so to find my card reader, so if you wouldnt mind, could you check back on the thread periodically until I'm able to load my card onto my computer.

Purely anecdotal, but it seems lie when the reservoir is full, the problem doesnt occur, but when it gets down to between midway and the first fill line [and lower] is when the issue occurs.

Thank you very much, and thanks in advance for your patience and help review my oscar print out

sreiter

Post by sreiter » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:43 pm

LSAT wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:24 am
I have owned and used the S8, S9 and AS10 and have never had those sensations.
I know its weird. As i mentioned Resmed thought the machine was broken, so i'm guessing they never heard of it either. I've been dealing with it since 2009. I never "rest" to begin with (never hit delta sleep), but to get fully woken up when it happens, and not be able to get back to sleep (with mask I'm getting my face "pushed" from the mask, and apnea waking me (micro arousal) with no mask, it drives me nuts - lol

sreiter

Post by sreiter » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:52 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:38 am
sreiter wrote:
With the FFM (full face mask - covers nose and mouth), which pressure settings are you using?
PS is 9
9.5 is too strong.
I've used masks that just cover the nose only in the past. Same thing happened with that too

sreiter

Post by sreiter » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:55 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:58 am
What pressures are you on?

If your pressure is too low, could you be drawing in very deeply to compensate? This could result in less pressure within the mask and a resulting "collapse". It also explains the sensation of not getting enough air.
a collapse is a great way to put it. I'm on 9 currently. DR tried to increase pressure but I felt it was too strong. I think its worth an experiment to ask him to increase it (unless theres a secret menu I can get to on the air sense 10) and deal with it for a night, if I'm able, just to see it i still feel the collapse

thanks for the insight/suggestion