How to prevent chin dropping with full face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
shaoo11

How to prevent chin dropping with full face mask

Post by shaoo11 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:01 am

I’ve had nothing but bad luck since I started my CPAP a few weeks ago (death in the family, then Covid). I’m trying to be compliant but I have huge anxiety when it comes to using the machine now. One problem I’m having is my chin drops into my chest when I fall asleep. It causes the mask to move, which causes leaks. Does anyone have a good solution to this issue? I’ve heard use a travel pillow (too thick), or a soft neck brace (seems like it could be a bit choking). I prefer to sleep on my side but am trying back sleeping as well. Thanks.

robysue1

Re: How to prevent chin dropping with full face mask

Post by robysue1 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:32 am

shaoo11 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:01 am
I’ve had nothing but bad luck since I started my CPAP a few weeks ago (death in the family, then Covid). I’m trying to be compliant but I have huge anxiety when it comes to using the machine now. One problem I’m having is my chin drops into my chest when I fall asleep. It causes the mask to move, which causes leaks. Does anyone have a good solution to this issue? I’ve heard use a travel pillow (too thick), or a soft neck brace (seems like it could be a bit choking). I prefer to sleep on my side but am trying back sleeping as well. Thanks.
I would suggest that you find a way to sleep on your side rather than forcing yourself to sleep on your back. Being able to sleep in your favorite, preferred position is a significant part of reducing the anxiety that many of us faced when we were just starting out.

With a full face mask, the usual suggestions for side sleepers is to either position your head next to the edge of your pillow so the mask can hang off the pillow instead of being pushed by it. Or get a CPAP pillow that has cutouts for the mask to hang into.

When side sleeping it can also help to use an asymmetric tightening of the headgear straps.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:32 am

Several members have been successful using a foam cervical collar to keep their chin up. They are inexpensive to try.

RE144

Post by RE144 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:22 pm

You just have to try all mentioned and see what works for you...

In my case I use a chin strap and a travel pillow plus a regular pillow and sleep on my back , although sometimes I do move to my right side......but that is very rare...

Good Luck
ResMed Airsense 10 with heated humidifier
ResMed Air Touch F20