Tube temp to avoid rainout

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
corgan115

Tube temp to avoid rainout

Post by corgan115 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:22 pm

Hey folks,

So I know this topic has been talked about to death but I am seeing conflicting information on this. Or I am just not understanding...

I sleep in a cold room, a room that's even colder in the winter. I've started experiencing rainout in my mask. Specifically the mask and mask tubing, not the climate line tube. I've been lowering the humidity but I am just not sure what to do with the tube temp. Some literature I've read states to raise the tube temp so that the air I am exhaling into the mask is closer to the temperature of the air coming into the mask. Other literature I've read says to lower the tube temp so that the temperature difference between the air inside the mask is closer to the ambient room temperature.

Can someone please help me understand this?

Thanks!

Pugsy

Re: Tube temp to avoid rainout

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:24 pm

Read posts number 2 and 3 here for various options on dealing with rain out or condensation in the mask or hose.

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t9403 ... -road.html

Condensation is just physics in action.
Warmer air will hold on to more moisture than cooler air will....so you need to warm up the air in the hose/mask.
Turning down the air temp will just make more condensation.....crank up the heat on the heated hose (if you have one) or if you don't have a heated hose...get one.

Most likely what is happening is you have a heated hose since no water is in it but then you have a short hose of some sort (depends on the mask) that is attached to the heated hose that isn't heated and once that nice warm air from the long hose leaves the hose then it starts cooling down because of the colder ambient room temp and once it cools down enough it releases the moisture in the air because the cooler air can't retain as much water in the air.

I covered various options for dealing with condensation in either the long hose, short hose or at the mask level in the topic above.
You have several options.

You have to warm up the air in the hose and/or mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

corgan115

Post by corgan115 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:35 pm

Thank you!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:25 am

They make short hose cozies for the mask hose--
Sometimes even a cozy for your mask.(never block the exhaust vents)
The cold room air makes the mask and short hose cold,
causing condensation (rain out) in that area.
Or you can use this as an excuse to turn the bedroom heat up a tad.
--(if you'd like it warmer)

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:53 pm

corgan115 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:22 pm
Other literature I've read says to lower the tube temp so that the temperature difference between the air inside the mask is closer to the ambient room temperature.
You may have *seen* conflicting information, but anything you've seen suggesting you should lower the temperature of the tube is just plain wrong. It's not credible.

I have seen a lot of conflicting information about the shape of the earth. Some say it's round, others say it's flat.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:50 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:53 pm
corgan115 wrote:
Other literature I've read says to lower the tube temp so that the temperature difference between the air inside the mask is closer to the ambient room temperature.
You may have *seen* conflicting information, but anything you've seen suggesting you should lower the temperature of the tube is just plain wrong. It's not credible.

I have seen a lot of conflicting information about the shape of the earth. Some say it's round, others say it's flat.
I'm in Arizona and was getting rain out till I switched off my heated hose. It doesn't make sense but I haven't had any rain out since.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:06 pm

In Aridzona, it's dry, so it gets COLD at night.
Physics, pure and simple.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:47 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:50 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
corgan115 wrote:

I'm in Arizona and was getting rain out till I switched off my heated hose. It doesn't make sense but I haven't had any rain out since.
Because according to you, you did more than just turn off the heated hose, you *also* turned the humidity down to 1.
babydinosnoreless wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:33 pm
I was blaming drool too until I tried a nasal mask. It got wet inside the nasal mask. Turns out it was rain out. As I live in Arizona where its warm I turned off the auto climate, shut off the hose heat, lowered the humidity to 1 and my issues went away.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:15 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:47 am
babydinosnoreless wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:50 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
corgan115 wrote:

Because according to you, you did more than just turn off the heated hose, you *also* turned the humidity down to 1.
babydinosnoreless wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:33 pm
I was blaming drool too until I tried a nasal mask. It got wet inside the nasal mask. Turns out it was rain out. As I live in Arizona where its warm I turned off the auto climate, shut off the hose heat, lowered the humidity to 1 and my issues went away.
It worked like a charm. I haven't had rain out since I got rid of the heated hose and there have been times when I've turned the humidity up. (Like when I'm sick). I firmly believe I was heating the air too much and then it was cooling down in my short hose and creating the rain out.