Oximeter Recommendations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gebo

Oximeter Recommendations

Post by gebo » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:35 am

My Hb will go up to 18.5 and then I get a phlebotomy about every 3 months. They used to be free but the Red Cross won't take my blood because of the "high iron." I have been genetically checked for hemochromatosis and I don't have it. My ferritin is barely out of the minimum range.

I have not had a sleep study due to an upcoming operation. Long story. I can't do a sleep study until after I get my surgery. After I went to my Endocrinologist, he suggested I may have sleep apnea. Makes sense. Stop breathing. Body needs more O2 and makes more Hb. I can track that. I have an Airsense 10 and just got my Dreamwear Full Face mask. I am very satisfied with my equipment. I just downloaded Oscar. So I am coming along....

I know that in using my CPAP the last 2 weeks, I am no longer tired during the day. I don't fall asleep driving. I don't have to nap. My wife has even noticed how much better I am acting. I do burp quite a bit more.

Here's my question. If I want to use and Oximeter with my current set up, what is the "best"one that would record my overnight data so I could look at it in Oscar? I found where they have several listed but when I go to Amazon.com
I get confused. I don't really care about the price. Accuracy and quality are most important to me.
Last edited by gebo on Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Timothy 2:15

Miss Emerita

Re: Hemoglobin Keeps Rising

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:24 pm

Hello, gebo! Glad to hear you're getting some good results with PAP therapy. I'd like to suggest that you rename your thread "Oximeter recommendations?" or something like that, so that knowledgeable people will be sure to take a look.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

gebo

Re: Oximeter Recommendations

Post by gebo » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:17 pm

Done. Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have a recommendation?

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:13 pm

Unfortunately I don’t, but I hope someone else will chime in. My sneaking suspicion is that they’re all about the same with respect to accuracy, so comfort might play a deciding role.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:40 pm

CMS-50F or CMS-50I

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:56 pm

I have a Wellue O2Ring. I had gotten it when I suspected I had an apnea problem and my doctor agreed when he saw the data from it and scheduled a sleep study which subsequently got me onto CPAP therapy. This was over two years ago and I still wear the ring at night as a cross check of what my CPAP is doing for me. Its data integrates nicely into OSCAR as shown in the screenshot below (O2Ring data highlighted in green). Note how the activity recorded from the CPAP corresponds with the ring. Other similar oximeters will probably do the same. The O2Ring is easy and comfortable to wear.

gebo

Post by gebo » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:30 pm

Will the Wellue O2 ring work with my air sense 10?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:46 pm

OTC consumer monitors are pretty darn close to those used in clinics.
The biggest difference is certification, and the cost of certification--passed on to users.
Durability may also factor in; but consumer use is a fraction of clinical use.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:53 pm

gebo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:30 pm
Will the Wellue O2 ring work with my air sense 10?
The Wellue O2Ring does not work with a CPAP machine. There is no linkage or communication between the CPAP or the ring. The O2Ring records data independent of what your CPAP records, but the data can be compared in the OSCAR software. Both have clocks that will align the data so events that each have will coincide when displayed in OSCAR.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:13 pm

gebo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:35 am

I have not had a sleep study due to an upcoming operation. Long story. I can't do a sleep study until after I get my surgery. After I went to my Endocrinologist, he suggested I may have sleep apnea. Makes sense. Stop breathing. Body needs more O2 and makes more Hb. I can track that. I have an Airsense 10 and just got my Dreamwear Full Face mask. I am very satisfied with my equipment. I just downloaded Oscar. So I am coming along....
Just read your post again and it sort of triggered a memory. Before I was aware of my apnea I had had a hernia repair done. During the operation I had a cardiac/respiratory event (breathing and heart rate took a significant dive) which resulted in an overnight hospital stay for observation. After I had my sleep test and deemed to have apnea, I had asked my doctor if the episode I had incurred may have been possibly related to the apnea. He said a strong maybe, but couldn't say conclusively. It can't hurt to mention your suggested sleep apnea to the surgeon or anesthesiologist prior to the surgery as a heads up in the event something goes a bit out of the normal.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:08 pm

Just came across this and thought of you, gebo:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread ... Comparison

-tim

Post by -tim » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:45 am

Some [forgot the name- the ones selling gear] have SpO2 sensors for rent. The S10 has the ability to plug in a module that records the details and the data programs will read that.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:41 pm

-tim wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:45 am
Some [forgot the name- the ones selling gear] have SpO2 sensors for rent. The S10 has the ability to plug in a module that records the details and the data programs will read that.
Which are great if you have a spare thousand dollars laying around to blow on it.

And there's no such thing as a "S10", nowhere does Resmed ever use that terminology.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

nelamvr6

Post by nelamvr6 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:03 pm

I want to second (or is it third at this point?) the recommendation of a Wellue O2Ring. I have one and it's really easy to use. I looked at those oximeters that just sit on the fingertip, and I just knew that there was no way that I'd be able to keep that in place while I slept. I wear my O2Ring on my thumb but the manual says it will work on other fingers. Getting the data into OSCAR is easy once you get it figured out, but it is a little fiddly at first.

Seems to me this is just what you're looking for.