getting a lot of mask leaks lately...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wrybread

getting a lot of mask leaks lately...

Post by wrybread » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:27 am

I've been getting a lot of maks leaks on my nasal pillow lately, which is odd because I used my CPAP for probably a full year before that started. Not sure what changed, but lately I wake up in the middle of the night with leaks pretty often. That makes me tighten my nasal mask to the point that my nose sometimes hurts in the morning. I've been using new nasal masks, washing my face and the mask, but still I get the leaks. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

I use this mask:
airfit-n20-nasal-cpap-mask-with-short-tube_1280x.jpg
airfit-n20-nasal-cpap-mask-with-short-tube_1280x.jpg (57.45 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
And I'm a side sleeper.

One thing I stumbled on is special pillows designed for side sleeping CPAP users. I'm considering buying this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lunderg-CPAP-Pil ... B084R77J83

Does anyone happen to have an opinion on this or any other pillows that might help a side sleeper with mask leaks?

Or any other tips? Any other mask I should consider? I tried the full mouth and nose but don't find it as natural as just the nose mask.

Another thing I'm considering: I use foam pillows, I was thinking about cutting the foam in the pillow to a the shape of a cpap pillow.

Pugsy

Re: getting a lot of mask leaks lately...

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:34 am

Have you taped your mouth shut to for sure rule out mouth leaking as being a factor?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

wrybread

Post by wrybread » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:48 am

No but when I wake up I can clearly feel air leaking rapidly out of the mask, usually aimed up at my eyes. Which then irritates them as well.

Definitely no leaks from my mouth.

wrybread

Post by wrybread » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:59 pm

no cpap pillow users here?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:16 pm

wrybread wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:59 pm
no cpap pillow users here?
I see no reason to spend money on a "special pillow" when I can just sleep near the edge of a regular one.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

wrybread

Post by wrybread » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:21 pm

I agree! But I've been trying that and don't find it comfortable. My chin hangs off the edge. If the mask is off the pillow then so is my chin, which gets uncomfortable while I sleep, for me at least. And it's why I think those CPAP pillows have a bit of a curve to them.

Amazon search for "cpap pillow" shows a bunch of them, all with the same curve to them: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cpap+pillow& ... _sb_noss_2

And I'm handy with a foam cutting knife (aka a bread knife, ha), so I'm thinking about not spending money either. I don't see a reason why a foam pillow couldn't be cut to whatever shape.

But I don't mind spending a few $$ on something that's proven to work.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:28 am

Go to WalMart and get one of their cheap memory foam pillows and then get your knife and make your own cutouts.
See how you like it and then decide if you want maybe a more "official" cpap pillow that costs more.

I have never used a pillow with cutouts so I am zero help in that area and besides even if I had there is no guarantee that you would like what I like. Bed pillow preference is an individualized preference. What one person likes/loves the next person might just hate for any number of reasons. Just like mask preferences.

Now I do understand that it isn't always so easy to just "hang things off the end of the pillow". I have been trying that myself lately for a different (and cosmetic reason) and I am not nearly as successful doing that as I wished.
My own personal preference is for a buckwheat hull bed pillow and I move the hulls around as I need them.
I love that pillow but others hate buckwheat hull pillows.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

wrybread

Post by wrybread » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:33 am

I'm not really asking if they're comfortable, I'm asking if they work to prevent leaks, or if other people have experience with them.

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:46 pm

I am wondering about two other variables:
1. How old is your cushion? They don't last forever.
2. Given that you feel the leak up toward your eyes, could the top straps use some tweaking? As an experiment, what happens if you press ever so slightly where the cushion meets the nose (perhaps preventing a leak from going toward the eyes)?
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

wrybread

Post by wrybread » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:56 pm

It's been happening with brand new mask pillows and mask too.

I can certainly make the leaks stop with some tweaking, but they start back up while I'm sleeping. And then it becomes a part of my dreams sometimes, and/or I wake up with really irritated eyes. Or it just wakes me up a few times in the night.

jlsmithseven

Post by jlsmithseven » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:21 pm

I loved this nasal mask, but whenever I used it, it would just scrunch into my nose and I couldn't breathe! I tried medium and large headgear and medium and large nose pieces both seemed to fit well but even when it was really loose, as soon as i laid down it would just bunch into my nose. it felt so great to breathe the air sitting up. i could never figure it out. dont mean to highjack the thread i just wish i could have made this mask work for me.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:17 am

wrybread wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:33 am
I'm not really asking if they're comfortable, I'm asking if they work to prevent leaks, or if other people have experience with them.
A cpap pillow worked to prevent leaks for me when I was using an Innomed Hybrid mask.
For me, hanging my head over the side of a pillows caused all kinds of neck and back pain.

That said, I suggest you review your mask's instructions - for my ResMed F30 the instructions are very specific for different kinds of leaks.

Another thing to think about is hose management - babies learn to find their pacifiers, security blankets, teddy bears, and we can learn to hug the hose, make sure it has some slack, and move it with us when we change position in bed.

Some people - with some types of masks - use hose management systems (different kinds of hose hangers). I used those in the past - partly because of the types of masks I had.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

GeneMpls

Post by GeneMpls » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:33 pm

I tried one of the cpap pillows with the side cutouts- did not work for me. I use a very firm foam pillow about 4-5 inches high and , as mentioned, sleep on the edge with the mask hanging in space. Leaks are a constant battle for me- I have two silicone face pieces and soak one every day and switch them every day. It helps but is not the complete cure. I have high hopes for the Bleep eclipse with my mouth taped [ BSN Medical Cover Roll Stretch, 2" x 10 yds] they have a tape with a blue pattern which helps with cutting- I actually like the one with a red pattern, not at all sure how they are different but used the blue on with good experience and then found the red roll and I think that is significantly better. I cut a piece about 3.5 inches long [ 2 of their handy bold marks] and then cut the upper corners so nothing is on my cheeks. I have a full beard but semi closely trimmed [occasionally] and it sticks wonderfully. Gene

wrybread

Post by wrybread » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:45 pm

Good idea about soaking two masks and alternating. What do you soak them in?

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:43 pm

I use the N-20 you posted above. I'm a side sleeper and I really like it but I have a small face and I find the "for her" version fits me best the regular size one leaked like crazy.