Philips Respironics Recall V2.0 Questions and Answers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Philips Respironics Recall V2.0 Questions and Answers

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:55 pm

Because they are monsters . . .

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:11 pm

Ok, so PR is continuing to win the derision of ordinary PAPers by such stupid decisions as creating a crippled clinical menu on the DreamStation 2.

I just want to add my data points to the Great Wait for Replacement Machines.

Last email from PR was in mid-October. Since then, the patient portal info for my main machine, the PR DreamStation BiPAP Auto, continues to be stuck on "At this time, your registration has been matched to a DME."

The patient portal info for back-up machine, the PR System One (Series 50), as well as my husband's PR System One (Series 6) APAP, both continue to be stuck on "Action needed: Prescription Setting Needed for Remediation" even though we've contacted our doctors and all of the requested information was faxed to PR by our doctors close to a month ago.

With the help of Pugsy and my new sleep doc, I was able to make the decision to use insurance to buy a Resmed AirCurve 10 Vauto from a local DME. I've now been able to confirm they will set me up with an AirCurve 10 instead of a Luna III, and I have an appointment to pick up that machine on Dec. 8.

Hubby and I still need to figure out what to do about his aging System One Series 60 machine: It's 8 1/2 years old. But sadly back in 2013, when hubby was diagnosed with mild OSA on a sleep study that scored "hypopneas with arousal", the sleep doc basically referred him back to his PCP and his PCP left the choice of whether to try CPAP up to hubby. After dithering for months, he finally tried it and got hooked almost immediately. But for some reason that I cannot fathom, the PCP ordered a home sleep test last year. And in order to score a hypopnea, the home sleep test required a 4% O2 desat. But hubby doesn't typically have desats with his hypopneas and so the home sleep study came back with an AHI < 5. Hence hubby appears to be up the creek without a paddle in terms of getting a new APAP with our insurance paying its share.

Hubby's PCP was willing to write a script for a new mask this summer when his rather old, well used mask fell apart two or three days before we were set to fly to Europe for a 45 day adventure and the local DME demanded a script to allow us to purchase a whole new mask for him. So it's possible that hubby's PCP might be willing to write a script for a new machine that would allow us to purchase one out-of-pocket. If I can persuade hubby that buying it OOP would be a reasonable thing to do.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:47 am

IN case you didn't read this in another thread. PR continues to move the goalposts...
beautifuldreamer wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:02 pm
Something new I noticed on the Philips status updates website-
for the units of mine that said Prescription Required- it changed the part where it said the doctor needs to fax the prescription plus the patient info to a Philips fax number-
now it says to call a phone number what you should be ready to give the doctor's name and phone number, plus the patient info that the doctor was supposed to fax to them.

When I called the phone number, there were lots of automated messages to push a number for certain options named- Then when i finally got the option that I thought would get me to speak to a person, it said that it recorded my phone number and I would receive a call within 48 hours.

Very interesting . . .

Additional Comments: Phillips SystemOne w/ Humidifier for daily use. (Not listed above) Airmini for travel.
Daily Driver (normally sans recall): Phillips SystemOne w/ Humidifier / DreamWear Nasal Cushion
Travel Unit (now currently daily driver during recall): ResMed Airmini / AirFit P10

jonquiljo

Post by jonquiljo » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:41 pm

It really annoys me that Philips is getting all fascist about prescriptions, etc. I bet they have cut 50% of people out of the recall that way. Some prescriptions are lifetime — some are 10 years — but Philips (I believe) wants them no longer than 2 years old.

So what does someone with a lifetime Rx do if they paid out of pocket for a number of machines over the years? They get no replacements. Now its bad enough to get a refurb machine when they are worth very little but cost a lot. But what about people who have gone through a bunch of machines. Personally, When the recall hit I got stuck with 2 UNUSED Dreamstation 1’s! Philips is demanding a NEW prescription— instead of honoring my lifetime Rx!

To top that, my sleep Dr left the area and records from 2010 are not available for me. For a refurbed replacement do I run around, find a new provider, get tested again — just to make Philips happy? Great customer service.

All this from a company that designed several machines, ALL of which had potentially toxic foam IN the airway. What idiot engineers got away with that design? Sorry, Philips needs to be banned from most world markets. Let other CPAP makers get in the game. Philips - you blew it! Philips — you developed a totally new standard for pathetic customer service.

We all deserve to be angry - very angry.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:40 am

jonquiljo wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:41 pm
Philips - you blew it!
On April 23, 2021, Philips' stock price was $61.10.

Yesterday, it closed at $14.42.

gtermwell

Post by gtermwell » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:29 am

Hello,

I am looking for a serial number from my old machine that was discarded before the recall, it was a C-Flex, REMstar Reprinonics with humidifier as the base.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:25 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:40 am
On April 23, 2021, Philips' stock price was $61.10.

Yesterday, it closed at $14.42.
Be careful with schadenfreude. As many industries have learned when reduced to a single major technology provider and a number of smaller ones, prices are no longer managed by competition and are instead market driven. Supply and demand is a fickle beastie.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:40 am

jonquiljo wrote:
It really annoys me that Philips is getting all fascist about prescriptions, etc. I bet they have cut 50% of people out of the recall that way. Some prescriptions are lifetime — some are 10 years — but Philips (I believe) wants them no longer than 2 years old.

So what does someone with a lifetime Rx do if they paid out of pocket for a number of machines over the years? They get no replacements.
It's easy enough to get around this by just asking your doc to write a new script.

At any rate, that's what I've done. Although I did get a referral to a new sleep doc since my last one retired and I hadn't bothered to find a new one after the old one retired. The new sleep doc was in the same practice. He took one look at a PR detailed/summary report for the last 3 months that was printed out by a local DME and looked up my records. Then asked me: What settings are you using on your PR DreamStation? And based on what I told him, he wrote the script for a new machine (an AirCurve 10 VAuto) as well as faxed it to PR for the recalled machine's replacement.

I am, however, still waiting on PR's patient portal to update the information for both of my two PR machines as well as hubby's PR machine.

Now its bad enough to get a refurb machine when they are worth very little but cost a lot. But what about people who have gone through a bunch of machines. Personally, When the recall hit I got stuck with 2 UNUSED Dreamstation 1’s! Philips is demanding a NEW prescription— instead of honoring my lifetime Rx!
How hard is it to get your doctor (even a PCP) to simply "write" a new script for you?
To top that, my sleep Dr left the area and records from 2010 are not available for me. For a refurbed replacement do I run around, find a new provider, get tested again — just to make Philips happy? Great customer service.
To be fair: PR is not demanding a new sleep study. They just need a doctor (any doctor) to fax them a script. They're not demanding additional information in the form of sleep studies. They are wanting information that demonstrates you still have the machine in your possession and that a doctor (any doctor) is aware that you are using the device and "knows" your device's therapeutic settings.
We all deserve to be angry - very angry.
I agree we all deserve to be angry. I've been waiting 16 months since registering our three devices. And we've gotten less than 5 total emails about them.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:49 am

jonquiljo wrote:
[snip]
Philips asked for a new prescription, but also gave the option to use their DreamMapper software to upload the machine settings into their database. That is what I did and it was good enough for them.

There are many, many, many things to beat up Philips about regarding their dodgy foam and daft recall process. This is not one of them.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:50 pm

Jlfinkels wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:25 am
Be careful with schadenfreude.
I posted two simple facts. You jumped to schadenfreude.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:37 pm

Well today I got three more (generic sounding) identical emails from PR, but this time two of the messages had an actual confirmation numbers for my old System One (series 50) BiPAP Auto and hubby's System One Series 60 APAP, which is still the machine he uses on a nightly basis.

And the message on the patient portal for both hubby's Series 60 APAP and my Series 50 BiPAP Auto has changed. It now reads:

I'll be making a phone call tomorrow to give them requested information, along with sending patient portal messages to the appropriate docs for hubby and myself to let them know we've given their names and office phone numbers to PR.

As for my PR DreamStation BiPAP Auto, the message on the patient portal has not changed since at least mid October. It looks like this:

Today's email gave no hint about what "matched to a DME" means and I've had no feedback at all about which DME that machine has been matched to.

I pick up a Resmed AirCurve 10 Vauto from a local DME that will be partially be paid for with insurance money. Since my "Medicare" AHI on my diagnostic sleep study back in 2010 was 3.5, it seems prudent to replace the PR machine with a new one from insurance while I can---I turn 65 next July.

And for the folks who weren't around back in 2010: My diagnosis of moderate sleep apnea was based on an RDI/AHI = 23.something because the hypopneas that were scored were all hypopneas with arousal that don't count in Medicare's eyes as "real" events.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:07 pm

Well today I finally got a chance to call the number listed in the Patient Portal message I posted in my last post.

After being put on hold for an hour, I finally got to talk to a rep. The rep had an Indian accent (which does not bother me), but it sounded like he was using a cell phone on speaker phone while sitting in an airplane hanger full of other people making phone calls as well as a loud fan and other industrial noises in the background.

Suffice it to say that it was difficult to hear anything at all.

I did find out: I can't talk to them about hubby's machine until he authorizes it over the phone. No big deal, but still a PITA.

And then I asked about my System One: The response when it came was: Your machine's serial number begins with a P. We're not dealing with machines with serial numbers that begin with P yet.

The background noise was far to great for me to ask the obvious follow-up question: When does PR expect to start working on the machines with serial numbers that begin with P?

*sigh*
Last edited by robysue1 on Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonsair

Post by Jonsair » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:09 pm

Well, shortly after getting my Dreamstation the recall came out. About a month ago my replacement came. Well over a year to get it. It was much smaller than the original machine, and much harder to fill. First night even before I got to use it, all the water leaked out on the nightstand. No good, so I went back to the old machine and contacted Philips, which by the way took hours. Two weeks later a new water chamber came and then a week later a second replacement came. Now trying to use it, and the touch screen will not respond most times. Another long wait on the phone and they walked me through setting it up. At that point, they decided to replace it. Who knows when. Aside from that, 6 to 61/2 hours is fine. Longer than that and it runs out of water. It's set on three which is the same setting as I was using before. I use a full face mask and it always shows 98 to 100 percent fit. So measuring the amount of water they both take, the new one takes about 1/3 less water. It's a poorly designed, crude machine, and I'm hoping at some point they correct the chamber size.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:26 am

Jonsair wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:09 pm
So measuring the amount of water they both take, the new one takes about 1/3 less water. It's a poorly designed, crude machine, and I'm hoping at some point they correct the chamber size.
Is your objective to use a certain amount of water or to keep your nasal passages from drying?

The horrorshow of PR seems to be getting worse. :cry:

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:04 pm

It is interesting regarding the opinions on the new DS2 versus the old DS1 and I wonder if many of the opinions are simply influenced by the opinions of others on forums or biased YouTube channels.

"Herd mentality
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Herd mentality, mob mentality or pack mentality describes how people can be influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors on a largely emotional, rather than rational, basis. When individuals are affected by mob mentality, they may make different decisions than they would have individually."

(This is really true when it comes to politics :mrgreen: )

While I have a few niggles about the DS2, the usage of it for me isn't that much different that when I was using the DS1. It still delivers therapy much the same as my DS1 did and looking back on the numbers in OSCAR I think the DS2 yields AHI numbers slightly lower and more consistently than the DS1 did. The smaller footprint of the DS2 on my nightstand is a plus and it's as quiet or quieter than my DS1 was.

Of minor complaints, the physical design is backwards (at least for me) with the hose in the front and water chamber at the rear. My DS2 is oriented on the nightstand so the hose is to the rear and sweeps up behind the beds headboard up to a hanger. The water chamber is to the front which makes it easy to remove and reattach every morning. Being 'backwards' the display isn't as easy to read, but I seldom look at it anyhow and prefer a quick look at Dream Mapper in the morning while doing other computer related things.
The wife is not fond of the shiny black shell of the DS2 as it shows dust easily.
I have not had any issues with water usage by the DS2 humidifier unless I forgot to add water the day before. With a setting of '4' the water drops about only 3/8" to 1/2" through about 7-8 hours usage with some to spare and this is dependent on the seasonal ambient room humidity. I'm using a full face mask. When I had the DS1 I was carrying the water chamber to the bathroom to refill and the open design was prone to an occasional spill. The DS2 water chamber with the snap on cover lessens the possibility of spills on the short journey.

I received my DS2 about 6 months after registering the DS1 for the recall and have been using the DS2 for a bit over year now. I attribute the 6 month delivery to a brick & mortar DME that had good record keeping and having the DS1 registered on Dream Mapper which showed daily use.