OSCAR chart to grade please? Newguy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GeneMpls

Re: OSCAR chart to grade please? Newguy

Post by GeneMpls » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:41 am

Saturday morning at the shop by myself- my SD card would not load last night and of course did not record my night last night, Feel as rough as I have for the last week and my synapses are not firing very reliably this morning so I will not attempt any witty repartee, that is sketchy on a good day.

I have been looking up a lot of acronyms since landing here-
where DWing isn't the best approach-- AAMOF, usually counter-productive.
?? And I don't know
if I am ready to do a Jim Malone [there seem to be a lot of them].

I have always steered clear of doctors as much as possible and believe they have a difficult job and labor under a lot of expectations. That said, I am not impressed with my sampling of Sleep docs- it should not take two months to get an appointment, something is wrong somewhere, maybe we apneaists have a bad reputation and no-one wants in. Doctors and nurses and police have always mystified me as to who would want to sign on- thankfully some do, and take the beating for a while.

I have appts with a sleep D-assistant and a heart valve-job surgeon in the next weeks and and going to avoid an decisions that are not immediately necessary. Gene

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:27 am

If you have to, take another look at robysue's suggestions about talking to the doctors, and bring along some of you green (CSR) marked graphs. Those are the zebra's galloping through your results -- let hope they'll convince the sleep doc assistant that a change is necessary.
Facing down a doctor, whom we originally approached with trust, and still wish we could trust is never easy. Let's hope she turns out to be reasonable and knowledgeable.

Who comes first chronologically, sleep D or heart valve surgeon? I wonder if the sleep D would prefer to have more cardiac D input first....

Good luck with your appointments.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:14 pm

GeneMpls wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:41 am
it should not take two months to get an appointment, something is wrong somewhere...
For a "routine follow-up visit" that's about right.

However, this is not a "routine follow-up visit"-- rather, it is reporting what's known in the business as an "adverse outcome". If you report it as such, she'll see you on Monday.

AAMOF, she'll insist that she see you on Monday.
Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
Make each sensation a little bit stronger.
Experience slips away.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:32 pm

Rubicon wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:14 pm
However, this is not a "routine follow-up visit"-- rather, it is reporting what's known in the business as an "adverse outcome". If you report it as such, she'll see you on Monday.
No doubt, if you allege that the prescribed therapy (equipment and or directions for use) has made your condition worse, that will get attention.
What is an adverse patient outcome?
Adverse Event - An event in which care resulted in an undesirable clinical outcome-an outcome not caused by underlying disease-that prolonged the patient stay, caused permanent patient harm, required life-saving intervention, or contributed to death. - US HHS
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:12 am

dataq1 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:32 pm

Adverse Event
Exactly what we don't want to say.

Then you wonder why you're treated like a leper...
Experience slips away.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:53 am

dataq1 wrote:
Rubicon wrote:
Rubicon, just implied being in the business, time for you to start demanding what his position and credentials are.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:13 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:53 am

Rubicon, just implied being in the business, time for you to start demanding what his position and credentials are.
That's easy:

He's a "Google > First Entry > Ctrl C > Ctrl V"
Experience slips away.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:48 am

dataq1 wrote:
Rubicon wrote:
No doubt, if you allege that the prescribed therapy (equipment and or directions for use) has made your condition worse, that will get attention.
In GeneMpls's case, there's no alleging: The data indicates he is using he prescribed therapy in the prescribed way and his condition has gotten worse: He's having more CAs now and more breathing flagged as CSR than he was when he started xPAP. And he's feeling no better, and possibly worse than he was when he started out.

An accurate description of what's going on ought to get GeneMpls moved to the head of the line for an emergency appointment with his sleep doc or at least a PA in the sleep doc's office.

But GeneMpls is going to have to insist that he's feeling as bad (or worse) than he was when he started and he's going to have to say that the data for the CAI and CSR has not improved at all since the pressure reduction from 15 to 12 cm.

If GeneMpls has a spouse, it may be that a call from his spouse insisting that something is really wrong might shake the sleep doc's office up enough to get him seen soon rather than being put off for several more weeks. Back in my pretty terrible adjustment period, there were a number of times that my husband made the phone calls and insisted that I be seen because he could tell something was badly off even though I didn't want to "bother the doctor's office" too much with my sad tale of woe.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:48 am
An accurate description of what's going on ought to get GeneMpls moved to the head of the line for an emergency appointment with his sleep doc or at least a PA in the sleep doc's office.
I agree with that.

The distinction I was making a claim adverse outcome is a a ploy to move "to the head of the line", because the understanding is that the current treatment is causing some unexpected NEW medical problems. I actually agree with Rubicon that the OP's medical team would insist on seeing him immediatel, if he claimed adverse.

The nuance is that adverse outcome and events are effects and symptoms that are unrelated to the condition being treated.

Example: an adverse event occurs when a patient is prescribed X medication for toe fungus, but use of that medication caused anaphylaxis, or loss of sight.

Those adverse scenarios would cause any Dr to insist on seeing the patient immediately or go to emergency/urgent care.

What I quoted above comes from Health and Human Services . gov
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:12 am

iatrogenic
adjective
iatrogenic (adjective): (of a medical disorder) caused by the diagnosis, manner, or treatment of a physician.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:25 am

dataq1 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 pm
The nuance is that adverse outcome and events are effects and symptoms that are unrelated to the condition being treated.

Example: an adverse event occurs when a patient is prescribed X medication for toe fungus, but use of that medication caused anaphylaxis, or loss of sight.

Those adverse scenarios would cause any Dr to insist on seeing the patient immediately or go to emergency/urgent care.
Again, this is an absolutely incorrect analysis and approach, but as OP has disappeared I guess it's all academic.

Heading out for family visit, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Experience slips away.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:29 am

Just a reminder of what you are dealing with:
dataq1
Contact dataq1
Re: Sleep study inaccurate

Post by dataq1 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:16 pm
First I don't understand why y'all are making such a fuss about honesty.
Sociopath.

JPB

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:38 am

jimbud wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:29 am
First I don't understand why y'all are making such a fuss about honesty.[/b]
Sociopath.
JPB
[/quote]
Taken WAY out of context. For those who would care to follow how jimbud feels he was slighted, here is the link to the discussion he and I were having:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184495&p=1413988#p1413988
In essence jimbub interpreted a post by another participant wherein he and I disagreed about THE INTREPRETATION of a statement that the poster made.
Apparently jimbud felt that I was being dishonest with my interpretation, however he could not "prove" that my interpretaion was incorrect or "dishonest"

LET IT GO....., it been almost six months...... we may never resolve that disagreement.

Name calling just ain't going to resolve this disagreement,

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:22 am

Okay folks. Enough with the personal comments about people. No more personal attacks and snide ass remarks.
That dead horse is drawing flies. Move on.
Get back on topic or just shut up.

Thank you very much.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:11 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:22 am
Enough with the personal comments about people. No more personal attacks and snide ass remarks.

Get back on topic or just shut up.
Amen to that !

Everyone have a Happy Turkey day.