New to CPAP but feeling rougher today, REM sleep still not improved.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Donnie

New to CPAP but feeling rougher today, REM sleep still not improved.

Post by Donnie » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:00 am

Hi lovely peeps

Firstly can I give a huge thank you to the administrators of this forum. I'm sure you put in more work than expected but I do appreciate it. Its so good not to feel alone out thete in the new world of cpap!

I've just used my new cpap machine for 3 nights only. I'm getting enough sleep. I've had a look at the forum but unable to find answers so please excuse me if I've missed it due to my dyslexia or brain fog :lol:

The numbers are great but I know its mentioned not to go by just them. My new mask feels comfortable enough. It's a hydrid and I mainly sleep on my side. It has some leaks I can feel at the front but nothing in my eyes to irrated me so that's all good. I'm sleep good! The mask fit states its good. Not snoring is a great sign I'm getting enough pressure.

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and I have not snored at all now which is great news!

My fitbit watch is still telling me I am not getting enough REM sleep so this could be an issue? But I feel worse today than with sleep apnea.

My question is..because it can take weeks even months to feel better, does this mean the same for the REM sleep to improve? I'm guessing my body is adjusting to not snoring therefore wasn't sure if it's normal to feel worse before better?

Thank you and have a brilliant day!

Donnie :D

Julie

Re: New to CPAP but feeling rougher today, REM sleep still not improved.

Post by Julie » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:08 am

Hi and welcome - hope you feel better soon (yes, it's normal to feel all over the place early on), and get sorted out. Two things - can you please see the Stickie re Oscar at the top of the main pg - v. comprehensive app we'll help interpret when you get it set up and we can see what's what overnight, and second, Rick Blaine of the UK is a great resource here for things e.g. re NHS, and anything else Cpap related that might not apply here- you can post a note with his name in the title and he'll get back with answers where possible. Don't put too much stock in the FB as Oscar will give way more info and if something (e.g. pressure settings,etc) needs tweaking we can help there. It can take some time to make all the pieces fit. Oh, and please stay in this thread for everything so we can follow along.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:37 am

The amount of REM sleep we get is going to depend on the number of sleep cycles we complete.
Fragmented sleep is going to mess with the completion of any sleep cycle. Often with an arousal we get kicked out of the sleep cycle and have to start all over again. So if we don't complete a sleep cycle then we probably won't be getting any REM for that cycle.
REM increases when overall sleep quality improves.

3 nights???? 3 weeks would be really too soon to expect much.

How many hours of real sleep (not just laying in bed) ????

Are those hours fragment with very many wake ups?

Do you take any medications? If so, what?

And while the FitBit gadgets are pretty good/accurate most of the time they aren't perfect.
I had mine tell me that I was in REM when I know for a 100% fact I wasn't even asleep...I was up and letting the dog out to go pee.
They are good but not perfect with their educated guesses as to sleep status or sleep stage.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

shimon

Post by shimon » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:22 am

Donnie wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:00 am
I've just used my new cpap machine for 3 nights only. I'm getting enough sleep. I've had a look at the forum but unable to find answers so please excuse me if I've missed it due to my dyslexia or brain fog :lol:
It took me months to adjust to the CPAP machine and for my sleep to improve. Of course, everyone's journey will vary but I think some patience may be in order.

earlvillestu

Post by earlvillestu » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:51 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:37 am

And while the FitBit gadgets are pretty good/accurate most of the time they aren't perfect.
I had mine tell me that I was in REM when I know for a 100% fact I wasn't even asleep...I was up and letting the dog out to go pee.
They are good but not perfect with their educated guesses as to sleep status or sleep stage.
I had mine tell me I was asleep one afternoon when I was sitting in a chair by the fireplace and reading, with a cat on my lap. And it regularly tells me I've been asleep when I know I've been lying in bed wide awake.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:33 am

The Fitbit disclaimer should mention that it is not a medical device.
It may even say, "for entertainment only"--typical CYA. (Cover your [their] ass)
I would put it aside until your cpap use settles down.
One less meaningless thing to worry about.
Most fitness bracelets are little more than toys, IMHO.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:50 am

Donnie, I just wanted to say you're off to a great start. As you settle further into using your machine, I predict you'll sleep more soundly and catch up on any "sleep debt" you may have incurred. So, patience will be your friend.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:11 pm

Hey lovely peeps.
Thank you so much for taking the time to post to me. I really do appreciate it. Its very reassuring and sweet of you all.
I've work till late then had to drive over 2 hours to a hotel in London for an early start.
Literally set my CPAP and got it going before I've even unpacked or taken my coat off haha!!!

I will answer fully when I get some time but to answer one of the questions, I'm sleeping really well. About 7-8 hours with maybe only 1 quick trip to the ladies room!

I appreciate it can take ages to feel good again but to wake up feeling really nauseas but general feeling rough is something different and a lot worse than before. Maybe a had a bug but it felt like I was being dragged down! It was very strange!

Anyway thanks again for the welcomes and night night

Donnie :D

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:19 pm

Exactly which model machine are you using?

Is it the AirStart you show in your profile or is it the AirSense???

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.