C-Flex and EPR User Experiences

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
eclise

C-Flex and EPR User Experiences

Post by eclise » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:24 pm

I have been using a ResMed AirSense 10 for about three months and have been following my results closely with OSCAR. I've read the forum comments and watched the YouTube channels and have made adjustments carefully to my therapy...with excellent results I might add. I've gone from an initial AHI score or 61 to a regular nightly score of around 1.0. Last night my score was 0.5 So here is my question, why is the conventional wisdom that EPR or C-Flex is something to be weened off of? My score IMPROVED slightly when I added it to my settings and my mask and breathing comfort level went way up. My pressure is 9 and I am only using an EPR setting of 1 although I will be experimenting with a higher EPR settings while watching my nightly result. I understand the potential for degrading the therapeutic effect of CPAP if this feature is used randomly without any form of monitoring, but if the OSCAR data responds positively, why wouldn't you use this comfort feature?

I'd love experienced users to offer their perspective and experiences on the subject. BTW, I do think APAP is problematic and I have also turned off auto ramping. Conventional CPAP is working very well for me and I follow my OSCAR results regularly, why should I aspire to eventually turn off EPR? Thoughts?

Pugsy

Re: C-Flex and EPR User Experiences

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:55 pm

eclise wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:24 pm
I understand the potential for degrading the therapeutic effect of CPAP if this feature is used randomly without any form of monitoring, but if the OSCAR data responds positively, why wouldn't you use this comfort feature?
The potential for degrading the therapeutic effect when using EPR..exhale pressure relief or any sort of exhale relief by other brands...is a "maybe potential issue" and not an automatic for sure "this is a problem" issue thing.
If someone finds that the treatment is maybe a little less effective during the drop during exhale it is easily remedied by a simple increase in the base line pressure.
eclise wrote:
why should I aspire to eventually turn off EPR

If you are more comfortable sleep better using EPR...I would also be wondering why anyone would set a goal of "getting happy with no EPR".
Or maybe they just like to experiment...that would be a good reason I suppose.
I use a machine that offers what would essentially be EPR at 4 and that's what I prefer.
It mimics my own natural breathing pattern and is extremely comfortable and when I am comfortable I fall asleep faster, easier and stay asleep longer.
Sleep has always been my primary goal....without sleep it doesn't matter much what your settings are or what the AHI is....if you aren't sleeping it doesn't matter.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:07 pm

EPR is for comfort..If I am more comfortable using EPR 2 and averaging 1.5-2.0, there is no way I would turn it off to lower my EPR...It's insignificant.
Changing settings every night is doing you no good.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:54 pm

eclise wrote:
I have been using a ResMed AirSense 10 for about three months and have been following my results closely with OSCAR. I've read the forum comments and watched the YouTube channels and have made adjustments carefully to my therapy...with excellent results I might add. I've gone from an initial AHI score or 61 to a regular nightly score of around 1.0. Last night my score was 0.5 So here is my question, why is the conventional wisdom that EPR or C-Flex is something to be weened off of?
This is a perfect example of listening to the wrong "conventional wisdom".

These same ignormauses will tell you "you may need a bilevel (only they'll call it a "bipap", which is wrong) without even a glimmer of understanding that (almost) the whole point of bilevel machines is that they provide MORE pressure differential than is even possible with EPR, (which can give you more than *flex).
eclise wrote:
My score IMPROVED slightly when I added it to my settings and my mask and breathing comfort level went way up. My pressure is 9 and I am only using an EPR setting of 1 although I will be experimenting with a higher EPR settings while watching my nightly result. I understand the potential for degrading the therapeutic effect of CPAP if this feature is used randomly without any form of monitoring,
Based on what you've said, I don't think you do.
eclise wrote:
BTW, I do think APAP is problematic and I have also turned off auto ramping. Conventional CPAP is working very well for me and I follow my OSCAR results regularly, why should I aspire to eventually turn off EPR? Thoughts?
For the same reason you should turn off APAP.... 'conventional "wisdom"'.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:13 pm

EPR is certainly a comfort feature, but it also helps with flow limitations and sometimes hypopneas. The negative talk about it comes mostly from the fact that some people see an uptick in central apneas when they increase EPR. For small increases, that’s a non-issue, and for larger ones, the simple solution is to back the EPR down. But bear in mind that many people see no increase in CAs when they increase EPR.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:16 am

2 seems to be my sweet spot.
It's been that way since 2010.
Why wean off something that works this well?

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:18 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:13 pm
. But bear in mind that many people see no increase in CAs when they increase EPR.
It'd be fair to say that most people don't see any increase. :)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

marquisvns

Post by marquisvns » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:33 am

palerider wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:54 pm
eclise wrote:
I have been using a ResMed AirSense 10 for about three months and have been following my results closely with OSCAR. I've read the forum comments and watched the YouTube channels and have made adjustments carefully to my therapy...with excellent results I might add. I've gone from an initial AHI score or 61 to a regular nightly score of around 1.0. Last night my score was 0.5 So here is my question, why is the conventional wisdom that EPR or C-Flex is something to be weened off of?

These same ignormauses will tell you "you may need a bilevel (only they'll call it a "bipap", which is wrong) without even a glimmer of understanding that (almost) the whole point of bilevel machines is that they provide MORE pressure differential than is even possible with EPR, (which can give you more than *flex).
Very true, and don't need to go to bipap unless you're suspecting mixed or central apnea. Once I keep my nasal and throat clear (Afrin and Guaifenesin) cpap with rather mild to moderate setting is all I need. However, when it gets brutal, bipap was a life saver, literally.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:27 pm

marquisvns wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:33 am
palerider wrote:
eclise wrote:

Very true, and don't need to go to bipap unless you're suspecting mixed or central apnea.
BZZZRT. wrong.

Mention ignoramuses, and one pops up.

Last edited by palerider on Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:50 pm

marquisvns wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:33 am
palerider wrote:
eclise wrote:

Very true, and don't need to go to bipap unless you're suspecting mixed or central apnea.
Wrong. I was prescribed a bilevel because of pressure needs. Bilevels go to 25 cpaps only go to 20.

eclise

Post by eclise » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:50 pm

Thanks for everyone's contributions. I have increased my EPR to 3 and bumped my pressure slightly to 9.6. This was last night's OSCAR result. I won't be changing anything!

For some reason I am not able to add my attachment, but it was of a great night's sleep with only three events over 7.5 hours.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:29 pm

Somebody needs to google "ween".
Not to be confused with "wean", which actually corresponds to the OP's intent.
Ween is a rock group, and was used in olden times to indicate belief.
The vocabulary frog has spoken.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:21 pm

Eclise, so good to hear you had a great night's sleep!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/