WIFI, or remote communication risk potenial.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: WIFI, or remote communication risk potenial.

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:31 pm

Jlfinkels wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:50 am

Fortunately, I have photographic evidence from the lunar eclipse to support the flat earth theory. Science! And a wee bit of Photoshop…

Bull. All celestial bodies are spherical. Last October, we visited family in Idaho. I took a picture of the full moon that shows it is clearly round.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:55 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:31 pm

Bull. All celestial bodies are spherical. Last October, we visited family in Idaho. I took a picture of the full moon that shows it is clearly round.

Looks like Swiss Cheese to me.
Cows.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:02 am

I agree with Lazarus and the OP. There is something intimate about having a medical machine in your bedroom. Personally, I struggle with the data from cell phones, too. I don't have Alexa, but I do use an Amazon Fire Stick which has Alexa built-in. Even if I'm not actively using that software, it might still be listening. I don't use consumer DNA kits either.

What do I have to hide? Nothing. What am I afraid of? Discrimination or targeting on the basis of something - anything - decided to be either desirable or undesirable if privacy laws change in the future. Suppose I have a genetic variation that could be used to deny me insurance? Suppose my fire stick hears me talking about something that could be used to deny me employment? It's the next logical step to being discriminated against due to social media content, which does happen now.

So, I do understand the concern. Especially in a bedroom. While I don't think there's a high risk of voice or image monitoring from a CPAP machine (cuz they're too busy sending your sleep data to all your healthcare providers and insurers), my advice would be to unplug it when you're not actually using it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... ea-devices

I also think some members here are bullies, plain and simple, and it's a shame they ruin the conversation.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:49 am

So:
  • an online device that is designed to take voice commands
  • an "IT professional" doesn't know his device is sending data, even though common knowledge, documented in the manual, apparent in menus and display (cell bars)
gives you a legitimate concern that there might be a microphone or camera is your CPAP machine.

BTW, that article was nothing more than a click-bait, hit piece. It wasn't news then, and still isn't news.

These things have been taken apart and jailbroken, it would become known.

Yup, ResMed is willing to risk a billion dollar business, so they can listen and see into your bedroom.

Ludicrous.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: WIFI, or remote communication risk potential.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:52 pm

Moon not cheese--is potato.
Stick wires in potato; voila--electricity.
Add transistor>>>EM transmissions!
OMG!!!

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:35 pm

I don’t consider that NPR article to be Clickbait at all.

Probably 95% of those topics have been topics that we’ve discussed here on this board. I’m putting it out there for the main stream. People are more aware of it. I don’t see anything wrong with that. Not everybody is as involved as we are here on this board.

unfortunately, a lot of people don’t quite understand how insurance works either. I haven’t looked to see what my machine was billed at. I did see that my pulmonologist office basically billed for the mask assembly, the headgear, the nasal cushion, and the filter separately. I did not call them on this at the time and it looks like my insurance company just paid for certain parts of that. They got me a machine that is saving my life.

most people don’t read what they sign at the time. I knew they were monitoring my use. Last I heard I own the machine. I might double check and see what was billed and what was paid. maybe from there I will turn the airplane mode on.

but yeah, I would be pissed if my DME was discussing my compliance.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:43 pm

Filter
Cushion
Heated Tube

Billed/pd

$10/6.70
87/19.23
90/37.22

bogus price for filters taken from a 50 pk most likely but otherwise reasonable.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:29 pm

KittyMom22 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:02 am
my advice would be to unplug it when you're not actually using it.
That's not very good 'advice'.
As to the rest... oops, my bad, I did miss the sentence about going back to his old machine, my apologies.

Last edited by palerider on Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:33 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:35 pm
I don’t consider that NPR article to be Clickbait at all.
My mistake, sorry.

Last edited by palerider on Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:43 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:29 pm
The funny part about that article is that the Resmed S9 machine (looks like an Elite, but the picture isn't clear enough, might be an Escape, wouldn't THAT be funny? (the Escape doesn't collect any useful data)) that's pictured *twice* in the article, HAS NO CELLULER MODEM!!!
I'm not defending the article, but if you read it you find out that the guy in the article went back to using his S9 specifically because it HAS NO CELLULER MODEM!!!.

And the pictures in the article were of the machine he is currently using---i.e. the one that the guy knows has no cellular modem.

I will add: I am a bit concerned about a cellular modem being monitored by a DME moving into my bedroom when I finally replace my DreamStation 1 BiPAP Auto that has not yet been replaced under the recall.

My fear may be irrational and unfounded, but here's what I am worried about: If I get a new machine (Aircurve 10 VAuto) from a DME that uses the cellular modem to monitor my usage, will that also give them the ability to change my therapeutic settings without my permission?

In other words, if I tweak something (max IPAP, min EPAP, PS, Trigger, Cycle, Ti min, Ti Max) to make the machine work better for me and they happen to notice that the settings are no longer the ones they set up on the machine, are they going to have the ability to change the settings back to what they think they should be? And if they do that, will they also not bother to inform me that they changed my settings?
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:49 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:43 pm
In other words, if I tweak something (max IPAP, min EPAP, PS, Trigger, Cycle, Ti min, Ti Max) to make the machine work better for me and they happen to notice that the settings are no longer the ones they set up on the machine, are they going to have the ability to change the settings back to what they think they should be? And if they do that, will they also not bother to inform me that they changed my settings?
The ability to change settings remotely is there but whether they will make the effort is a different thing.
Plus you can always make it plain (in writing) that they are NOT allowed to make ANY changes to any of your settings for any reason.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:08 pm

LSAT wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:45 pm
SBJohnson wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:05 pm
We all know that these machines have the ability to send data to (Dr., clinic, manufacturer, GOVT" How do we know, and/or how hard would it be to add a microphone and/or camera in that unit?
No one would buy a machine that had the ability to watch or listen to you.
How many people have Alexa or a smart tv, smart watch etc. Lot of people buy machines that watch and listens. My family insisted we go to smart tech for our house and I'm still salty
about it. Lol. I mentioned to my husband that I was going to put a heated lap blanket on my xmas list and not 10 min after my phone sent me a notification that electric blankets were on sale now at target. :shock:

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:34 pm

just by the way, has anyone noticed that the op hasn't come back?

kinda hard to bully someone who isn't here.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:40 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:43 pm
palerider wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:29 pm
The funny part about that article is that the Resmed S9 machine (looks like an Elite, but the picture isn't clear enough, might be an Escape, wouldn't THAT be funny? (the Escape doesn't collect any useful data)) that's pictured *twice* in the article, HAS NO CELLULER MODEM!!!
I'm not defending the article, but if you read it you find out that the guy in the article went back to using his S9 specifically because it HAS NO CELLULER MODEM!!!.
Yes, I missed that line, my apologies.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:41 pm

zonker wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:34 pm
just by the way, has anyone noticed that the op hasn't come back?

kinda hard to bully someone who isn't here.
My bullying powers transcend space and time, I probably bullied him before he ever knew about the forum.