need a new cpap suggestion

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cmvdragon

Re: need a new cpap suggestion

Post by cmvdragon » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:12 am

Pugsy,

I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed with OSA in 2017 and have used a bilevel Resmed Aircurve 10 vauto since. In April 2022 it stopped sending data to the myAir app due to 3G going obsolete. I like the myAir app. The machine has an SD card but I do not know how to access data there...

There is no Aircurve 11, so to get a machine that sends data to the app (via 4G or bluetooth or both..you may have to explain that to me) I would have to get the Airsense 11 Autoset based on what you say in this thread. There is no biPAP yet in the 11 model series but CPAP which I have never used. Is the EPR setting in that unit similar to bibap? I do not recall why I was placed directly on bipap, maybe I complained about Cpap on my sleep test??? Cannot recall..

I may have missed your comprehensive guide to Airsense 11 which you promised earlier and which may address all my questions. In that case just point me in that direction and thank you very much!!
Last edited by cmvdragon on Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:28 am

What are your current pressure settings?

EPAP Minimum
IPAP Maximum
PS

Depending on the settings used and why...we can sometimes make the AutoSet model function like a bilevel by playing with EPR but it has its limits.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:34 am

cmvdragon wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:12 am
Pugsy,

I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed with OSA in 2017 and have used a bilevel Resmed Aircurve 10 vauto since. In April 2022 it stopped sending data to the myAir app due to 3G going obsolete. I lile the myAir app. The machine has an SD card but I do not know how to access data there...
There's so little reliable pertinent info on myAir... we can gladly help you use the SD card and access data on it.
Do you know how to access more detailed data on your machine's screen?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

cmvdragon

Post by cmvdragon » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:47 am

Thanks for the quick responses. No I do not know how to access more detailed information. Please do tell!
Carpe Diem

cmvdragon

Post by cmvdragon » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:55 am

EPAP Minimum is 8cm H2O
IPAP Maximum is 16cm H2O
PS is 4

Original study result AHI 26.5..lowst O2 sat 82%
Carpe Diem

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:05 pm

Learn how to use Oscar.
We only grow by challenging ourselves.
Then you can continue to use your Aircurve 10, wait for Aircurve 11,
or get another Aircurve 10--Nobody can say what is right for you like you.

cmvdragon

Post by cmvdragon » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:13 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:05 pm
Learn how to use Oscar.
Yes sounds good. Oscar is software to read the data that is collected by the unit? How do I learn how to use it? How do I get my data?
Carpe Diem

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:40 pm

Read the Stickie top of the main pg here and then come back with Q's. Experts here will help interpret things once you're set up. Any old SD card should work.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:47 pm

cmvdragon wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:13 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:05 pm
Learn how to use Oscar.
Yes sounds good. Oscar is software to read the data that is collected by the unit? How do I learn how to use it? How do I get my data?
to follow up please see this link-
viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

the above is what julie suggests.

please let us know of any help or questions you may have along the way. if you would be so kind, please stick to this thread rather than starting a new thread. that way, the forum members can easily keep track of your progress.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

shimon

Post by shimon » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:56 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:37 pm
There were S9 official name models from ResMed (they also had S7 and S8) but when the AirSense 10 models came out ResMed called them "AirSense/AirCurve 10" and not S10.
Then the AirSense11 came out...and again ResMed has never marketed them as S11
BUT that hasn't stopped others from using the S10 or S11 nomenclature.
It's a pet peeve of mine that people don't use proper terminology for anything but I can't do anything about other places.
Heck, even secondwindcpap referred to the AirSense 10 as the S10 and they should know better.

Anyway...The AirSense 11 is the latest model after the AirSense 10.
There are 3 different AirSense 11 models so far.. There are not any AirCurve/bilevel 11 models yet to my knowledge.

1....AirSense 11 CPAP.... DO NOT ACCEPT OR BUY THIS MODEL.....this is the fixed CPAP machine with limited data collection. ResMed did improve the data collection somewhat as it now records detailed data and you can see it on OSCAR software.
BUT....big but here....it does NOT do any FOT which is needed to distinguish between obstructive apneas and central apneas.
It makes use of the UA or unclassified apnea basket so centrals and obstructive go in one basket and no way to know which is what. Been helping a guy over on Jason's forum who seems to have developed treatment emergent central apnea.
Everyone was having him increase his pressure assuming all those UAs were obstructive and big surprise...more pressure didn't help. I need to make a special thread to alert people to this problem with this model.

2....AirSense 11 Elite....fixed single pressure machine but it is full data and does have the capabilities to tell a central apnea from an obstructive apnea

3...AirSense 11 AutoSet....this model is probably going to be the most preferred model. Full data like the Elite but actually has 3 modes of operation. It has fixed cpap mode and will function like the Elite functions. It also has the regular auto adjusting mode PLUS a 3rd mode which is the For Her auto adjusting mode. ResMed finally got smart an put all 3 modes on one machine. With the AirSense 10 models the for Her mode was only available on the For Her AutoSet.
janecraft wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:04 pm
I've searched for an "S11" and found nothing. Airsense11?
So as explained above...AirSense 11 is the proper nomenclature but some people/places persist in sticking with the S10/S11 name calling.
During your shopping....totally avoid the AirSense 11 CPAP model as explained above.

Do note that if using insurance to pay for any machine that insurance companies pay by HCPCS billing code.
They do NOT pay by brand or model or features.
Regular cpap/apap machines will be using the E0601 HCPCS billing code.
All 3 of the above mentioned ResMed machines will be using the E0601 billing code. Insurance companies pay a fixed amount for that billing code no matter which model or brand.
The AirSense 11 CPAP model....it's the cheapest model in terms of what they pay wholesale and if they get the same amount for it, from insurance, as they would a more expensive AutoSet guess which one they make the most money on and will push to sell??? Yep...the CPAP model that they clear more profit on.
Thanks for this informative post. I'm researching which Resmed machine to get and this saved me a lot of time.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:30 pm

cmvdragon wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:55 am
EPAP Minimum is 8cm H2O
IPAP Maximum is 16cm H2O
PS is 4

With PS = 4, you're not going to be able to set an AirSense 11 AutoSet up with the PS you are used to. Also worth considering is the fact that your AirCurve 10 has settings called Trigger, Cycle, Ti min, and Ti max. (They may very well be set to the default values.) The AirSense 11 AutoSet won't have those settings either. Hence there may be some small differences in how your current AirCurve 10 transitions between EPAP and IPAP and how the AirSense 11 will transition between what is effectively IPAP (current pressure setting) and EPAP (current pressure setting - EPR setting), even if your AirCurve 10 has been set up with the default settings.

If it were me, I'd give up the convenience of MyAir and keep the machine that can do PS = 4. But that's because I'm reluctant to do anything that might disrupt the quality of sleep that I'm currently getting with the AirCurve 10 VAuto I'm currently using.

As for the therapy information you are getting through MyAir, here's what I think:

1) The overall "Score" is pretty much useless. It's glomming together data that shouldn't be glommed together.

2) The mask fit, 95% Leak rate, the AHI (and its breakdown), and usage hours are all available on the machine's LCD. It may not be presented in quite so friendly of a user interface, but it is there. The only thing is you can't scroll through multiple nights of data to see what's changed.

3) Oscar or even SleepHQ can give you much more information and provide that trending information that MyAir does, but they aren't automatic---i.e. you do have to take the SD card out of the machine and load it into Oscar or SleepHQ. While SleepHQ is working on a way to use a wireless SD card to load info directly to their website, I don't think that works (yet) and in the long run, that may be part of a proprietary subscription. But the free version does allow you to load the data into SleepHQ using an SD card reader in a computer and look at the data using a smart phone or tablet.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

cmvdragon

Post by cmvdragon » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:21 am

robysue1 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:30 pm
cmvdragon wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:55 am
EPAP Minimum is 8cm H2O
IPAP Maximum is 16cm H2O
PS is 4

With PS = 4, you're not going to be able to set an AirSense 11 AutoSet up with the PS you are used to. Also worth considering is the fact that your AirCurve 10 has settings called Trigger, Cycle, Ti min, and Ti max. (They may very well be set to the default values.) The AirSense 11 AutoSet won't have those settings either. Hence there may be some small differences in how your current AirCurve 10 transitions between EPAP and IPAP and how the AirSense 11 will transition between what is effectively IPAP (current pressure setting) and EPAP (current pressure setting - EPR setting), even if your AirCurve 10 has been set up with the default settings.

If it were me, I'd give up the convenience of MyAir and keep the machine that can do PS = 4. But that's because I'm reluctant to do anything that might disrupt the quality of sleep that I'm currently getting with the AirCurve 10 VAuto I'm currently using.

As for the therapy information you are getting through MyAir, here's what I think:

1) The overall "Score" is pretty much useless. It's glomming together data that shouldn't be glommed together.

2) The mask fit, 95% Leak rate, the AHI (and its breakdown), and usage hours are all available on the machine's LCD. It may not be presented in quite so friendly of a user interface, but it is there. The only thing is you can't scroll through multiple nights of data to see what's changed.

3) Oscar or even SleepHQ can give you much more information and provide that trending information that MyAir does, but they aren't automatic---i.e. you do have to take the SD card out of the machine and load it into Oscar or SleepHQ. While SleepHQ is working on a way to use a wireless SD card to load info directly to their website, I don't think that works (yet) and in the long run, that may be part of a proprietary subscription. But the free version does allow you to load the data into SleepHQ using an SD card reader in a computer and look at the data using a smart phone or tablet.
That is what I am inclined to do. I need to learn oscar and accept that I will take the SD card out and read it...I am also tempted to try the masks i see some users here are utilizing that basically sticks to your nose with disposable adhesive thingies...thank you for your detailed analysis !!!
Carpe Diem

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:41 am

cmvdragon wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:21 am
That is what I am inclined to do. I need to learn oscar and accept that I will take the SD card out and read it...I am also tempted to try the masks i see some users here are utilizing that basically sticks to your nose with disposable adhesive thingies...thank you for your detailed analysis !!!
Keep in mind that if your sleep is pretty stable, you'll probably be able to do the routine daily check by just looking at the Sleep Report, and then download the detailed data once a week or so in Oscar. Or download to Oscar if you see something in the LCD's Sleep Report that you think warrants more investigation.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:05 pm

To the OP: The makers of the Bleep masks (that stick onto your nose) will be coming out with a modification that will make them much easier to use. They'll be shipping in mid- to late December to people who have already signed up; I don't know when the new system will be available for everyone. More here:

https://bleepsleep.com/
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/