Cleaning climate line tubing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozij

Re: Cleaning climate line tubing

Post by ozij » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:18 pm

For the first 30 minutes after you turn a Resmed machine of, in gently blows air into the system clearing away residual humidity (I don't know about rainout, haven't had that in many years).
I set a timer in winter and disconnect my heated hose and the humidifier when it rings - because if I leave them connected, water starts condensing on the humidifier's walls.
The I hang the hose somewhere convenient, pour the water out of the humidifier, and turn it upside down so that it airdries.
I keep my APAP in a drawer, which I open for the night, close during the day.
Before closing the drawer, I disconnect the electricity (have a switch for that).
It's very dusty where I live, and I don't want dust collecting on the machine. Especially not on one that is left gaping open when you remove the humidifier.
I disconnect the electricity because when it's connected, there's heat generated in the system.

Have been doing that almost as long as I've been using CPAP (more than 17 years) - and I've learned not to be lax about disconnecting taking out the humidifier and letting it dry out daily - after RedMed finishes its cooling/drying.
Don't feel a need to wash my climateline hose.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:58 am

KittyMom22 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:24 pm
I also plan to use my hair dryer.
Do not use a hair dryer to dry the inside of your hose.

You've just cleaned your hose. Now you're going to blow a bunch of unfiltered, nasty air coming through a hairdryer.

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:03 am

lynninnj wrote: All I got is dry air from the baseboards right now, soon to be followed by dry air from the pellet stove. Even with the pot of water that steams on top all day it’s dry!
Wow, I'm surprised you feel so dry. According to Weather.com it's currently 63% humidity where I live. But I don't have forced air heat so that may have something to do with it.

And the kitties don't get to complain about smells. They create enough of their own. I'm constantly cleaning out their boxes and spraying Febreze!

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:04 am

ozij wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:18 pm
For the first 30 minutes after you turn a Resmed machine of, in gently blows air into the system clearing away residual humidity (I don't know about rainout, haven't had that in many years).
I set a timer in winter and disconnect my heated hose and the humidifier when it rings - because if I leave them connected, water starts condensing on the humidifier's walls.
The I hang the hose somewhere convenient, pour the water out of the humidifier, and turn it upside down so that it airdries.
I keep my APAP in a drawer, which I open for the night, close during the day.
Before closing the drawer, I disconnect the electricity (have a switch for that).
It's very dusty where I live, and I don't want dust collecting on the machine. Especially not on one that is left gaping open when you remove the humidifier.
I disconnect the electricity because when it's connected, there's heat generated in the system.

Have been doing that almost as long as I've been using CPAP (more than 17 years) - and I've learned not to be lax about disconnecting taking out the humidifier and letting it dry out daily - after RedMed finishes its cooling/drying.
Don't feel a need to wash my climateline hose.
Thanks for those tips. Yes I do take the humidifier chamber out too. I wondered why the thing kept running after I turned it off!

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:06 am

tyrinryan wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:00 pm
kitty mom: please tell us how the hair dryer works. way back I used a heat gun and destroyed a tube ymmv.
I don't know what a heat gun is but I would certainly monitor the hose carefully and not put the dryer on high for long. I use my hair dryer to dry a lot of things. My nails, wet shirts, crafts, etc. Oh, and hair!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:24 pm

A heat gun is way hotter than a hair dryer.
Industrial level heat!
You can cook polish sausage with one--but outdoors, please!
It will not only melt marshmallows, but blow the hot goo right off the stick.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:11 pm

KittyMom22 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:06 am
tyrinryan wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:00 pm
kitty mom: please tell us how the hair dryer works. way back I used a heat gun and destroyed a tube ymmv.
I don't know what a heat gun is but I would certainly monitor the hose carefully and not put the dryer on high for long. I use my hair dryer to dry a lot of things. My nails, wet shirts, crafts, etc. Oh, and hair!
Just a reminder of what Dog Slobber said above:
When you use a hair dryer you are blowing unfiltered air into a hose that has only had filtered air blow into it before you felt the need to clean it.

Attach the hose to the CPAP, run a number of cycles of "mask test" and that will blow filtered air into it and dry it.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:57 am

ozij wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:11 pm
KittyMom22 wrote:

When you use a hair dryer you are blowing unfiltered air into a hose that has only had filtered air blow into it before you felt the need to clean it.

Attach the hose to the CPAP, run a number of cycles of "mask test" and that will blow filtered air into it and dry it.
Not only are you blowing unfiltered air in, you're blowing air through a device that is notorious for retaining dust, contaminants, hair,...

Perhaps a visual might help her, obviously explaining it to her had no effect.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:03 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:57 am
ozij wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:11 pm
KittyMom22 wrote:

Not only are you blowing unfiltered air in, you're blowing air through a device that is notorious for retaining dust, contaminants, hair,...

Perhaps a visual might help her, obviously explaining it to her had no effect.

good visual

thanks

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:48 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:30 pm
Is cleaning the heated hose not explained in the manual?
https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf
I don't remember and no time to go look it up.
The respiratory therapist who set mine up instructed me to clean it weekly. That link didn't work for me but I found a
ResMed cleaning video on YouTube. They immerse it in warm, soapy water.
https://youtu.be/svtqBHZl13Y

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:05 am

Every time I need a chuckle I think about the photo of the hair dryer filter. 🤣 Thanks, guys.