Cleaning climate line tubing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ray4852

Re: Cleaning climate line tubing

Post by Ray4852 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:34 am

if you don't clean your hose. it will smell and collect bacteria just from handling it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:46 am

Ray4852 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:34 am
if you don't clean your hose. it will smell and collect bacteria just from handling it.
Really???? Mine doesn't smell and any bacteria or whatever that might be on the hose is coming from bacteria and whatever that we have floating around our houses. They will go stick to the hose just as soon as you get done washing. The very air we breathe has all sorts of critters floating around it it all the time anyway.

But if you sleep better and are happy with your cleaning routine....more power to you. Whatever floats your boat and all that.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:50 pm

Ray4852 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:34 am
The discussion is about the CPAP hose.

You may be confusing that with your "personal" hose. I agree that one should clean his "personal" hose when it starts smelling and after handling.

Just do not handle it too much or your hand will get hairy. :D

JPB

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:15 pm

Stop when you become nearsighted.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:07 am

Conrad wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:41 am
bmanley wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:41 am
Are there any tricks to cleaning the resmed climate line tubing? Can it be soaked in water and if so how do you get it dried out so the heating wires don't short out? If not what is the best way to clean?
To answer your question, yes, the heated ClimateLine tubing can be soaked in water without shorting out the heating element.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum as most here and I clean my equipment weekly by soaking the tubing (both the heated tube and the tube that connects to the mask), the tub, and the mask in ~ a gallon of warm water, with a cup of white vinegar added, for a couple of hours. I then rinse everything in warm water and hang it to dry in my bedroom.

YMMV
chunkyfrog wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:45 am
Frequent/daily cleaning exposes corrosible parts to water;
And summons the green goo monster.
Congratulations. You did it to yourself.
Your DME loves you--just not enough to grant you profit sharing.
I've seen/heard the same ole song and dance from you many times here.

What are the corrodible parts of the machine? The metal parts, the plastic parts?

I've been cleaning my cpap parts in the same way for more than 10 years now. I've not worn anything out, nor do I have any corrosion anywhere to be seen.

The green goo monster is summoned by cleaning? Yeah, that makes sense.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:14 am

A heated hose has exposed metal parts.
Copper oxidizes green--a very pretty green, but undesirable.
Water contains oxygen, which combines with copper in the exposed contacts.
What do you not understand about corrosion/oxidation?
The statue of Liberty is covered with pure copper, which is coated
with a lovely green patina--corrosion.
Nobody scales the outside every night to dry her off.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:12 pm

The weird part was how the green goo bled to the surface without any obvious tear or hole in the fitting. That was I mentioned the slight deformation in the ridge. The tiny lateral hole in the white protruding housing must have been the entry point, if water was the cause. That may be a sensor and/or part of the heating element, but it's just a rectangular piece of copper and maybe some other metal with wires attached to it, I think. The tube was maybe 5 years old, washed at irregular intervals. The green goo seemed tasteless, so I won't use it as a spice for cooking or popcorn topping.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:45 pm

klv329 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:12 pm
The weird part was how the green goo bled to the surface without any obvious tear or hole in the fitting. That was I mentioned the slight deformation in the ridge. The tiny lateral hole in the white protruding housing must have been the entry point, if water was the cause. That may be a sensor and/or part of the heating element, but it's just a rectangular piece of copper and maybe some other metal with wires attached to it, I think. The tube was maybe 5 years old, washed at irregular intervals. The green goo seemed tasteless, so I won't use it as a spice for cooking or popcorn topping.
Mental note not to take food from strangers.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:35 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:14 am
A heated hose has exposed metal parts.
Copper oxidizes green--a very pretty green, but undesirable.
Water contains oxygen, which combines with copper in the exposed contacts.
What do you not understand about corrosion/oxidation?
The statue of Liberty is covered with pure copper, which is coated
with a lovely green patina--corrosion.
Nobody scales the outside every night to dry her off.
What part of me stating that I've never had an issue with corrosion in 10 years of exposing my heated hose(s) to water once a week do you not understand?

"What do you not understand about corrosion/oxidation?"

As a retired EE with over 30 years of experience, I would say that I have a fairly good understanding of corrosion and oxidation, as well as electrolysis and the composition of water.

Are you suggesting that the copper in my heated hose contacts are being subjected to the same conditions as the Statue of Liberty and that the contacts are going to develop a patina unless I change my cleaning routine? Please.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:28 pm

You are probably smart enough to dry it off.
The guy with the green goo was not so diligent.

colomom

Post by colomom » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:07 pm

My 2 cents, I’m no expert so take my thoughts as you will;)

As both an allergy and asthma sufferer my biggest concerns when it comes to my cpap hose is moisture which can breed mold, ect.
The biggest problem I’ve found when I’ve tried to clean my hose is that it’s very difficult to remove the excess moisture you introduce into the hose while cleaning the hose. In my mind introducing extra moisture into the hose actually makes it less clean.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:38 pm

I am also asthmatic and mold is one of my big trigger items. I have never had any problem with using my machine, and it has been over five years since I have cleaned my hose. My current hose is around six years old and I don't recall ever washing this one.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:23 pm

colomom wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:07 pm

As both an allergy and asthma sufferer my biggest concerns when it comes to my cpap hose is moisture which can breed mold, ect.
The biggest problem I’ve found when I’ve tried to clean my hose is that it’s very difficult to remove the excess moisture you introduce into the hose while cleaning the hose. In my mind introducing extra moisture into the hose actually makes it less clean.
When I first posted I was panicked because I left hose out to dry all day and it was still wet. I asked if it was ok to run mask fit without reistance to try it out. Dunno if I got an answer but decided screw it.

Now I hook it up and run mask fit for about 10 minutes and usu dry by then. Hopefully no damage to humidifier since it’s just blowing hose heated air.

ymmv

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:35 am

colomom wrote:

After the weekly soaking of my heated hose(s), along with the tank, in a gallon of warm water with 1 cup of white vinegar. I dry everything off as best I can, which includes twirling the hoses around my head to get as much of the water out as possible. I then hang the hoses up to dry. At bedtime I can still see water droplets inside the hose but in the morning the droplets are gone, and the hose is dry, at least it looks dry and that's good enough for me. I have both the heated hose and the heated tank set to auto.

YMMV

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:27 pm

colomom wrote:

CPAP hoses are *not* a mold (or bacteria) breeding ground, simply because of moisture.

For mold to thrive, it needs more than just moisture, it also needs a good source of nutrition and a surface conducive to providing nutrition. Neither of which is provided on the inside of a CPAP hose.

This myth that a little residual moisture makes CPAP devices pathogen breeding grounds is what created SoClean 's success.