Does Anyone Hate their CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ykf7b0

Does Anyone Hate their CPAP?

Post by ykf7b0 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:22 pm

Tonight is my 15th night trying to sleep with the cpap and I have not slept at all with it on. The longest I've withstood it on my face is almost 3 hours and it has cost me so much sleep I now feel awful. If anyone hate's their machine as much as I do and feels the cpap is counterproductive to their health I would love to read about it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Does Anyone Hate their CPAP?

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:39 pm

Sorry; no can do. But, welcome to the zoo.
It has been a struggle for most of us.
Watching some mask fitting videos may help.
Using the cpap while watching TV can help you get used to it.
It gets better, I promise.

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:35 am

Yeah, I do. I squeezed 4 hours in last night but spent 11pm-3am cuddled with my kitten. She sleeps alone in a different room but sometimes I give her one-on-one sleep time.

I really can't see this as a long-term solution right now, but promised myself I would give it a month. I don't think the data are right either because I hold my breath every time I turn over or reposition myself, or when I'm trying to hear something over the noise of the machine.

I am able to fall asleep though. Do you have a full-face mask? (ah, I see you do)
I found a setting that reduces the pressure when I exhale which makes it easier to tolerate. Only now there's this constant "whuh-whoosh, whuh-whoosh" sound.
Last edited by KittyMom22 on Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:53 am

ykf7b0 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:22 pm
If anyone... feels the cpap is counterproductive to their health I would love to read about it.
Sure!

Here's one:
ykf7b0 wrote:
Tonight is my 15th night trying to sleep with the cpap and I have not slept at all with it on. The longest I've withstood it on my face is almost 3 hours and it has cost me so much sleep I now feel awful.
Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
Make each sensation a little bit stronger.
Experience slips away.

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:04 am

I forgot to add: if you haven't already, look on YouTube for videos on how to adjust your machine's comfort settings. Also, let your doc and respiratory therapist know (if you haven't already). They may have some advice or change your settings or mask.

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:14 am

I also wonder if taking something that makes you sleepy (like Benadryl) might help? What is it that's so hard? Just the sensation on your face or do you feel like you can't lie in your normal sleep position?

When my ex started CPAP he had to lie on his back. He was a stomach sleeper and couldn't sleep at all. It was horrible. I really feel for you.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:28 am

KittyMom22 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:14 am
I also wonder if taking something that makes you sleepy (like Benadryl) might help?
Worst thing he could do. Diphenhydramine has a half-life of ~9 hours but is highly variable, could be even longer.
Experience slips away.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:49 am

KittyMom22 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:35 am
Yeah, I do. I squeezed 4 hours in last night but spent 11pm-3am cuddled with my kitten. She sleeps alone in a different room but sometimes I give her one-on-one sleep time.

I really can't see this as a long-term solution right now, but promised myself I would give it a month. I don't think the data are right either because I hold my breath every time I turn over or reposition myself, or when I'm trying to hear something over the noise of the machine.

I am able to fall asleep though. Do you have a full-face mask? (ah, I see you do)
I found a setting that reduces the pressure when I exhale which makes it easier to tolerate. Only now there's this constant "whuh-whoosh, whuh-whoosh" sound.
If you hold your breath for a full 10 seconds it should mark as an event I think.

The air still blows at you when you hold your breath and I would be surprised if you can hear any better doing so. That mask style is just plain noisy.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:51 am

ykf7b0 wrote:
Tonight is my 15th night trying to sleep with the cpap and I have not slept at all with it on. The longest I've withstood it on my face is almost 3 hours and it has cost me so much sleep I now feel awful. If anyone hate's their machine as much as I do and feels the cpap is counterproductive to their health I would love to read about it.
I told my pulm office that I want to be buried with my pap because I love it so much.

Let us try to help you and you may be surprised.

Tue alternative is unpleasant.

jmho

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:52 am

Rubicon wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:53 am
Here's one:
ykf7b0 wrote:
Tonight is my 15th night trying to sleep with the cpap and I have not slept at all with it on. The longest I've withstood it on my face is almost 3 hours and it has cost me so much sleep I now feel awful.
More to the point, failure to adapt to CPAP can be due to a ton of reasons. You need to post data in order to try to see what potentially solvable issues are.
Experience slips away.

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:53 am

lynninnj wrote: If you hold your breath for a full 10 seconds it should mark as an event I think.

The air still blows at you when you hold your breath and I would be surprised if you can hear any better doing so. That mask style is just plain noisy.
That's good to know about the breathing. Yes, the air still comes in but I don't get the Vader- like exhale. I'm going to call Monday and see about switching to the non-i version.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:19 am

KittyMom22 wrote:
When my ex started CPAP he had to lie on his back. He was a stomach sleeper and couldn't sleep at all. It was horrible. I really feel for you.
It's a shame your ex didn't find us before he gave up.

Plenty of people have found ways of making stomach sleeping and PAPing work together. My husband is one of them.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:21 am

Rubicon wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:28 am
KittyMom22 wrote:
I also wonder if taking something that makes you sleepy (like Benadryl) might help?
Worst thing he could do. Diphenhydramine has a half-life of ~9 hours but is highly variable, could be even longer.
It works for me. Wears off in 4-6 hours.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:22 am

KittyMom22 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:53 am
lynninnj wrote: If you hold your breath for a full 10 seconds it should mark as an event I think.

That's good to know about the breathing. Yes, the air still comes in but I don't get the Vader- like exhale. I'm going to call Monday and see about switching to the non-i version.
Good plan. I think it should improve things for you a bit at least and you seem comfy with the front part of it. Hopefully you figured out what size fits you better. I was only able to trade in for a specific size not a full starter pack.

An apnea is 10 seconds of alterations in breathing to register. There may be a margin of error here for leaks etc ie no breathing but air still getting thru(i do not suggest this as a fact just a maybe i dunno).

KittyMom22

Post by KittyMom22 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:25 am

Rubicon wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:28 am
KittyMom22 wrote:
It works for me. Wears off in 4-6 hours.

Regardless, anything that helps them fall asleep despite the mask, be it medication or melatonin or chamomile tea or sleep meditations (I like Jason Stephenson on YouTube) might be beneficial.