Prepping for the next outage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lynninnj

Re: Prepping for the next outage

Post by lynninnj » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:09 pm

loggerhead12 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:01 pm
lynninnj wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:07 pm
Maybe the ecoflow delta 2 doesn’t require additional cord at this time to run my as11?
It does not, but you'll only get half the run time out of it. Inverters are very inefficient.
Good to know.

As far as I know resmed didn’t put a cable out for the as11 yet but hopefully will hear back from DS too on this.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:20 am

lynninnj wrote:
Follow up after watching the videa: hey at least he admits he was being a dick. refreshing lol

He was talking about the AS TEN not the ELEVEN and I maybe missed it completely if he said they have one that works specifically with the 11?
The two (CPAP review) videos I referenced were about the AirMini/Air11, nothing to do with the Air10.
lynninnj wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:09 pm
As far as I know resmed didn’t put a cable out for the as11 yet but hopefully will hear back from DS too on this.
I haven't seen a cable only, cable for the the AirMini/Air11 connector from ResMed. But if you do a search for AirSense 11, Air11 battery solutions are starting to show up. some show solutions that include just a cable.
lynninnj wrote:
Maybe the ecoflow delta 2 doesn’t require additional cord at this time to run my as11?
I like the Ecoflow Delta 2
It's expensive, but gives you a lot of options.
- The option I like the most is its EPS feature. While the device is plugged in, all devices plugged into it don't draw from the battery, instead drawing from the AC. My battery power station doesn't do this, so it's constantly draining/recharging, so much I can't use it as an EPS/UPS.
- Because of the the EcoFlow's huge capacity, using it with its inverter is a good interim solution until a better DC option is available.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:25 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:20 am
lynninnj wrote:
Follow up after watching the videa: hey at least he admits he was being a dick. refreshing lol

He was talking about the AS TEN not the ELEVEN and I maybe missed it completely if he said they have one that works specifically with the 11?
The two (CPAP review) videos I referenced were about the AirMini/Air11, nothing to do with the Air10.
lynninnj wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:09 pm
I haven't seen a cable only, cable for the the AirMini/Air11 connector from ResMed. But if you do a search for AirSense 11, Air11 battery solutions are starting to show up. some show solutions that include just a cable.
lynninnj wrote:
I like the Ecoflow Delta 2
It's expensive, but gives you a lot of options.
- The option I like the most is its EPS feature. While the device is plugged in, all devices plugged into it don't draw from the battery, instead drawing from the AC. My battery power station doesn't do this, so it's constantly draining/recharging, so much I can't use it as an EPS/UPS.
- Because of the the EcoFlow's huge capacity, using it with its inverter is a good interim solution until a better DC option is available.
Thanks!

I wonder if theres a way to attach a non-ecoflow battery to it, to add more oower without spending $800 that can be charged via solar on it’s own. Maybe thru the ports used for solar? Or with a 12v output from secondary battery that the delta can plug into?

I am imagining a scenario where you want to keep something running and set something else out to charge.

You can pick up another battery for about $400 for a 100 amp hour battery if you don’t need a fancy battle born.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:40 pm

I just scraped together and bought the Eco Flo delta 2 today. Really excited. I managed to put together discounts bringing it down $120.

I was close to getting the bifacial 220w solar panel by ecoflow but it was big bulky and expensive. Going to look at smaller ones i can tote easier and get for less than the $450-550.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:45 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:40 pm
I just scraped together and bought the Eco Flo delta 2 today. Really excited. I managed to put together discounts bringing it down $120.
That's pretty amazing. Those things usually cost a grand.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:32 pm

loggerhead12 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:45 pm
lynninnj wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:40 pm
That's pretty amazing. Those things usually cost a grand.
Amazon had $50 off $1000. (cash back)

Retailmenot had $50 off, $20 first order at HSN, chase was 5% cash back with paypal.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:23 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:32 pm

Retailmenot had $50 off, $20 first order at HSN, chase was 5% cash back with paypal.
Ah. Somehow I read "down to $120".

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:32 pm

loggerhead12 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:23 pm
lynninnj wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:32 pm

Ah. Somehow I read "down to $120".
yeah that would be incredible.

$880 beats $1000 though.

Now I have to learn about solar panels. I did a lot of research on this device. Need the freebie power source for when the power goes out. I like that it takes less than an hour to charge though if I can find a wall outlet.

pffft <~ trying to get ready to dive in on the next phase

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:48 pm

Wow, cool power station. You'll be able to run all sorts of stuff with that, I'm sure that was the plan. 1kwh capacity would power my little Z2 Apap for well over a month. :D

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:52 am

Rob K wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:48 pm
Wow, cool power station. You'll be able to run all sorts of stuff with that, I'm sure that was the plan. 1kwh capacity would power my little Z2 Apap for well over a month. :D
Seriously? WOW!

I am watching my new gadget as it sits somewhere in NM. I can't wait to get it.

My plan is to charge that baby up and then run it with my regular cpap settings overnight to see what percentage drop I will have in the power to figure approx how many days I will get with regular use. Eventually one of these days I will try running it without the heated hose and humidifier on. I am just not sure how that will effect me. My nasal tissues are prone to nose bleeds and with a clotting disorder that doesn't sound like much fun to me. I am not sure if it would be best to try it on a cool night, maybe with the window cracked open just a bit like the last few nights. This might best simulate my needs (ie if power goes out I will have very little heat and it will be cooler.) I might also try it when the heat is running as well, just for scientific study. :lol: I am guessing with heated hose and regular settings, at 65w max x 9 hours (yeah I sleep a lot)- a shade under 600 wh so two nights if I am lucky if I am maxed out? I doubt it uses a full 65 watts (my settings are 7ish to 14 and I rarely get near 10.) But who knows-the heated hose might draw a lot more than I think. Plus I will only get realistically 85% or so from the battery.

I am a bit mad at myself. In my shopping, while I did manage some fat discounts, the day after I ordered Amazon was selling it for regular price but with free solar panels. I think it was this 2 pack of 100w panels. https://www.amazon.com/EF-ECOFLOW-Effic ... ast_sto_dp Part of me wished I had waited a day and part of me doesnt like the weight or design of these. Its bad enough the battery is 30lbs but to have the two panels that are heavy and needing to be turned in the sun multiple times it seems a bit much. There are might lighter ones out there and I am on the fence about whether I want to wait for an affordable bifacial panel. There are no kickstands with these either and adding mounts will add weight. One day I hope to get a camper for travel and use this device and the weight will matter.

I welcome any suggestions on the panels. I mean I really want to be sure to get something powerful enough to grab the sun and charge my Delta 2. With it being LiFePo4 it needs a very specific charging power. I haven't yet learned if that is volts amps or watts that need to be so precise, and am concerned that a solar panel I purchase won't be strong enough to get a charge in there. The Ecoflow bifacial 220w was around twice the cost for many others. Seemed a bit much. I don't even know if the panels they were offering for free will provide enough juice to charge it up (you would think it would be.)

I know there are a few very knowlegable folks here wrt this sort of thing. Please excuse my stated ignorance.

Edit: It is also my understanding that with a proper DC-DC adapter I might effectively increase the hours I can use it with my CPAP. So there's that.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:11 pm

Should be way under 65W. All power supplies are over sized to handle max machine pressure, humidifier and heated hose with still some extra capacity so the power supply is not over stressed. The Airsense 11 must be pretty efficient compared to the Airsense 10 and Philips System one machines like I have. They both have 90w power supplies.

My old Philips machine would use around 500wh running on a 12v battery over a 10 night span with a pressure of 8cm, no humidity or heated hose. I really have no clue how much your Airsense 11 with use. I bet it will do pretty well, you'll find out shortly and post the results for us. :wink:

Yes my little Z2 with no heat or humidity at a pressure of 8cm uses around 225wh over 9 nights. So can easily go a month with 1kwh power station. :mrgreen: That's if you you use around 80% of the battery capacity. I'm pretty sure I've read lifepo4 can handle 80% discharge on a regular basis, but probably less than that for longevity, don't remember exactly. Depends on the quality of the battery also. I'm sure your owners manual will tell you.

When I glanced a the specs on your power station it appeared you can plug into one of the ac outlets or get a dc converter to convert the 12vdc to 24vdc to run your machine. Not sure which of those two options will be more efficient. I did not see a 24vdc output to power your machine directly, that would have been nice and the most efficient, so it appears you would need the dc converter.

I still have a lot to learn about solar panels, I've never used one but understand how they work. There will be others with more experience. Like you said the large ones appear to be heavy and cumbersome. And holy smokes the specs say it will handle up to 500w solar. They claim around 3-6 hours charge time using around 400-440w of solar panels. So with 200w of solar panels you can figure around double that time. A lot depends on the quality and efficiency of your panels also. Like said my experience it zero so hopefully others can help with finding some good panels.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:55 pm

Rob K wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:11 pm
Should be way under 65W. All power supplies are over sized to handle max machine pressure, humidifier and heated hose with still some extra capacity so the power supply is not over stressed. The Airsense 11 must be pretty efficient compared to the Airsense 10 and Philips System one machines like I have. They both have 90w power supplies.

My old Philips machine would use around 500wh running on a 12v battery over a 10 night span with a pressure of 8cm, no humidity or heated hose. I really have no clue how much your Airsense 11 with use. I bet it will do pretty well, you'll find out shortly and post the results for us. :wink:

Yes my little Z2 with no heat or humidity at a pressure of 8cm uses around 225wh over 9 nights. So can easily go a month with 1kwh power station. :mrgreen: That's if you you use around 80% of the battery capacity. I'm pretty sure I've read lifepo4 can handle 80% discharge on a regular basis, but probably less than that for longevity, don't remember exactly. Depends on the quality of the battery also. I'm sure your owners manual will tell you.

When I glanced a the specs on your power station it appeared you can plug into one of the ac outlets or get a dc converter to convert the 12vdc to 24vdc to run your machine. Not sure which of those two options will be more efficient. I did not see a 24vdc output to power your machine directly, that would have been nice and the most efficient, so it appears you would need the dc converter.

I still have a lot to learn about solar panels, I've never used one but understand how they work. There will be others with more experience. Like you said the large ones appear to be heavy and cumbersome. And holy smokes the specs say it will handle up to 500w solar. They claim around 3-6 hours charge time using around 400-440w of solar panels. So with 200w of solar panels you can figure around double that time. A lot depends on the quality and efficiency of your panels also. Like said my experience it zero so hopefully others can help with finding some good panels.
I am stoked about this. It’s a pretty big deal for me. I’ve been researching for weeks or months. This guy has an expensive but tidy buddy or two that can be easily hooked on with 1K or 2K watt hours. I will be trying to figure out if I can charge it off a basic less expensive lifepo without all the bells and whistles or hook them together. I don’t want to spend all that dough and would like to be able to tap the sun and have something that will be running indoors during charging outdoors. (hope that makes sense)

After reading your posts I am now familiar with the company Renogy, who makes an uber lightweight flexible panel (several different wattages in fact. ) Not sure if I will go that route but good to know they exist at around 4lb for 100w panel. (I think I read that correctly).

It’s still my understanding that there’s no branded adapter yet but Dog Slobber I believe pointed out that there’s a compatible adapter used with the mini also. IIRC using the 12v output will probably be optimal. I hope I have this correct and am giving DS proper recognition here. The comments about charge thru capability were helpful too.

Thanks for sharing your camp stories. Your contributions have been instrumental in getting this ball rolling as well as the help of others.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:44 pm

So I turned on the Delta 2 today and plugged in with the pap. It of course gave various ranges of time remaining depending on airglow. It was hovering around 19-20 hours.

I am not sure if I imagined this- is it possible the AS11 isn’t blowing out as much air? weak pressure ? It seemed weak.

Will my charts show anything different tomorrow? Like pressure changes?

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:06 pm

So I got a Delta 2 from Ecoflow. I also got a 220w bifacial solar panel.

Because the solar was coming in today, I wanted to run the battery down a bit last night. I decided to see how the cpap would perform on it and plugged in to the regular AC jack.

A little under 2 hours later I woke up to the whole thing turned off. I didn’t think to check to see if there were any warning, lights or anything on the front because it was dark and I just wanted to go back to sleep. So I plugged it into the wall and caught a few hours. I got up around 6 AM and decided to plug it back into the wall, but basically didn’t really fall back to sleep at that point while it was running.

I called ecoflow today to ask about this and she was escalating the issue. She mentioned it could be a warranty issue.

I’m just wondering though if it’s possible that it causes it to tripped circuit breaker inside or something like that.

Could the whole 12v/24v nature of the AS11 be creating a conflict on the machine?

And if so, wasn’t there talk of an alternate cord to run out of the DC port of the delta 2?

Specs are there: https://manuals.plus/ecoflow/delta-2-po ... ifications

Output Ports

AC (x4) Pure Sine Wave, 1800W total (surge 2700W), 230V~ (50Hz/60Hz)
Max Device(s) Power Supported by X-Boost 2400W
USB-A (x2) 5V 2.4A, 12W Max per port, total 24W
USB-A Fast Charge (x2) 5V 2.4A 9V 2A 12V 1.5A, 18W Max per port, total 36W
USB-C (x2) 5/9/12/15/20V 5A, 100W Max per port, total 200W
Car Charger 12.6V 10A, 126W Max
DC5521 Output (x2) 12.6V 3A, 38W Max per port

Thanks for any wisdom.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:36 pm

If your local electric company is unreliable and and expensive; consider the ownership.
Some states have well-established private, for profit utilities.
Others are closely linked to local government, and answer to the voters--or rate-payers.
They are non-profit entities--like credit unions.
A private company tried several times to take over the electric service in Lincoln.
They were voted down every time.
As a result, our service is both reliable and affordable.
We have a PSC, public service commission, which oversees
operation of our water and electricity.
If our heat were gas, it would cost about 4x greater.
I don't mind cooking with reddy kilowatt--at all.