Full Face Mask Suggestions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ejbpesca

Full Face Mask Suggestions

Post by ejbpesca » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:50 am

I have been using Airfit 10 for years. I have a beard, mouth breath, sleep on my side and many times get a red frowny face due to leaks.

What other mask may be a better choice for me? Airfit 20 or 30?

For those with beards, side sleepers, and prone to leaks please suggest a mask that may help me improve.

I can order a new kit soon. Please get back with a try out suggestion.

zonker

Re: Full Face Mask Suggestions

Post by zonker » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:57 am

ejbpesca wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:50 am
I have been using Airfit 10 for years. I have a beard, mouth breath, sleep on my side and many times get a red frowny face due to leaks.

What other mask may be a better choice for me? Airfit 20 or 30?

For those with beards, side sleepers, and prone to leaks please suggest a mask that may help me improve.

I can order a new kit soon. Please get back with a try out suggestion.
the p10. click the link below to see it at cpap.com. nasal pillow with the only point of contact at your nose. makes it much easier to control leaks.

full bearded side sleeping son of a gun myself.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:10 am

ejbpesca wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:50 am
What other mask may be a better choice for me?
Is one that comes with a shaving kit out of the question?

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:39 pm

Get a str8 razor. You know you want it.

Just kidding.

I second the P10. Facial hair is not a problem. I sleep on my side and it seals well.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

StVSleepTech

Post by StVSleepTech » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:47 pm

If you go with nasal pillows like the p 10 you will need either a chin strap or neck pillow that fits under the chin. The reason being if you open your mouth the pressure holding your throat open will be either fully or partially released resulting in the return of your OSA. I prefer the pillow under the chin and use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Washa ... _ba_s_1_sc

If a chin strap or pillow don't work depending on the shape of your face a FIsher & Paykel Simplest Full face work fairly well with a beard but not if you have a narrow or low to nonexistent nose bridge. The next best to minimize leakage with a beard is the ResMed Mirage Quattro. Unfortunately all full face masks will have some leakage as when the mask pushed down the beard hair you still have microscopic channels between the hair that allow air to escape, but the above 2 tend to seal better than most with a beard.

Just remember that if you go the P10 route and you breathe through your mouth you need a chin strap or pillow to get effective treatment. But just an FYI about nasal pillows is that they can be easy to dislodged on some patients and some patients don't like them because the airstream is concentrated into 2 narrow airstream and some equate it to trying to breathe from a mini jet engine. Nothing against nasal pillows for the right patients but people either love them or hate them no in between. Pillow definitelya love or hate it style of interface.

Another good option for nasal pillows and slightly less likely to get dislodged is the ResMed Airfit P30i, look it up to see if you might be interested in it, As it is less likely to be pulled to the side by the CPAP hose as it connects at the top of the head instead of all that force being concentrated at a fairly small area right under the nose resulting in easier dislodging than the P30i.

Unfortunately there is no way even with a mask fitting from someone that knows what they are doing that it is alway effective as it just takes using it all night for several nights to figure out what what will work effectively for you.

Hope this helps.

ejbpesca

Post by ejbpesca » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 pm

Thanks for the advice.. Now on to a new post concerning humidification...arrrghh.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:14 am

StVSleepTech wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:47 pm
If you go with nasal pillows like the p 10 you will need either a chin strap or neck pillow that fits under the chin.
You need to qualify this in the same statement rather than a few paragraphs down. There are plenty of people who use nasal pillows successfully without the use of a chin strap or foam cervical collar.

Wbferrara

Post by Wbferrara » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:19 am

Similar situation. Big guy, full facial hair, tendency to mouth breath. Took me quite a while to realize that mini-mask was not helpful (because of mouth breathing). Went to an ENT colleague, who confirmed that I have fairly narrow upper nasal airway passages, which tended to get pinched from the mask. Switched to full face, with great improvement. Tried the memory foam AirFit 20, which was comfortable, but still tended to clamp down on the upper passages. Discovered the F30 a couple of years ago, and it was the Goldilocks solution for me. Resting right under the nostrils helps to keep them open, and if I do lapse into mouth breathing, I'm covered there. Very happy with results.