Looking to test out CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bujiba

Looking to test out CPAP

Post by Bujiba » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:59 am

Hello community,

I have suspected I have sleep apnea for a few years after looking up "holding your breath while sleeping" online as I was once told that I was observed doing just that. I have mentioned to a few doctors in the non-western country where I live, but they have just shrugged it off as nothing to worry about. I had hoped to get a study done when I return to Canada, but that does not seem like it is going to happen any time soon. By chance, I was watching a video the other day about high blood pressure and the doc mentioned that any sleep apnea would need to be attended to. He also mentioned that some people end up having to get a machine on their own and that that is fine because modern machines (ie dreamstation) are autoregulated.

Well. That has led me to seeing what is available for purchase near me and, ultimately to here. It seems as though I can get my hands on a resmed 10, but I am not sure if that is an autoregulated machine. I don't know what type of mask etc. I should get either. Moreover, I am seeking advice on if this is something that can be done on one's own, as I've heard. I know my sleep is not good. I often wake up tired. My nostrils collapse when I breathe strongly, for example when exercising. I am quite motivated to try something to see if it will help me out.

I would appreciate some advice and to be pointed to any useful resources members here may know about. I have read a few threads and watched a video or two, but that hasn't answered any of my core questions yet.

Looking for suggestions :)

Julie

Re: Looking to test out CPAP

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:22 am

Hi, hope you can find what you need.

Forget the nostril collapse tho', I don't think it's relevant...

What might help is telling us (if you don't mind) where you are, as others here may have some personal input re how things generally work there medically.

Not sure what you mean by autoregulated... are you referring to a machine that can be switched from plain Cpap (at one pressure) mode to 'auto' mode allowing your pressure settings to move up (and then down) when needed all night vs just staying at one setting?

Again, the Airsense 10 Auto (much more popular than e.g. the Dreamstation) would be a good choice, but are you going to be returning here in the very near future or is that not certain yet? The machines may be available wherever you are, but ResMed won't ship out of the US (frustrating for Canucks, but dealers can get them here at a higher price).

But I would keep asking your doctor for help finding testing there, or a referral to a pulmonologist.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:39 am

Bujiba wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:59 am
am seeking advice on if this is something that can be done on one's own
Yes, if you use this forum as your support group.

I recommend this machine - ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet - https://www.secondwindcpap.com/ResMed-a ... 37203.html gently used with a 6-month warranty, complete kit

About the mask, do you know whether you mouth-breathe during sleep?

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:52 am

Yeah, you can do it on your own. Doctors add very little value to the sleep apnea equation other than getting insurance to cover some of it.

You're right, if you get the right machine it can do most of the work for you. Phillips is having a major recall issue right now, so it's probably wise to avoid the Dreamstation line. The Resmed machine recommended above is fabulous, and it is compatible with software that will let you see how you're doing and post charts here for the wizards to help you out.

Bujiba

Post by Bujiba » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:28 am

Forget the nostril collapse tho', I don't think it's relevant...

What might help is telling us (if you don't mind) where you are, as others here may have some personal input re how things generally work there medically.

Not sure what you mean by autoregulated... are you referring to a machine that can be switched from plain Cpap (at one pressure) mode to 'auto' mode allowing your pressure settings to move up (and then down) when needed all night vs just staying at one setting?

Again, the Airsense 10 Auto (much more popular than e.g. the Dreamstation) would be a good choice, but are you going to be returning here in the very near future or is that not certain yet? The machines may be available wherever you are, but ResMed won't ship out of the US (frustrating for Canucks, but dealers can get them here at a higher price).
Julie, I have been in this Asian country for nearly 20 years. I have yet to experience any good medical treatment. I choose to refrain from mentioning the location because I don't want to inadvertently complain and appear negative about the place. I am not sure about autoregulated either, but that's what I heard in the video. It was expanded upon with the mention that most patients end up being given the settings that the machine sets without modification.

I won't be heading back until travel restrictions are lifted completely, so I think it won't be anytime soon.

I think that my collapsing nostrils may be playing a role. They collapse with moderate inhalation, and even more so when I lay down.
Yes, if you use this forum as your support group.

I recommend this machine - ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet - https://www.secondwindcpap.com/ResMed-a ... 37203.html gently used with a 6-month warranty, complete kit

About the mask, do you know whether you mouth-breathe during sleep?
ChicagoGranny,

Thank you for the link. With my luck I will end up with a faulty unit and need warranty service. I think that I might do better if I source a machine locally, regardless if its more pricey. I am not certain if I mouth breathe. I know that I don't wake with dry mouth or with my mouth opened. I tend to clench.

Loggerhead,
Thank you for the confirmation. I heard about the Dreamstation recall, and that is what lead me to Resmed. Though I am confused by the various models. And what to try first. Maybe I need a bipap?

Thank you for the quick responses. I appreciate it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:50 am

Bujiba wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:28 am
I heard about the Dreamstation recall, and that is what lead me to Resmed. Though I am confused by the various models. And what to try first. Maybe I need a bipap?
No way to know if you need a bilevel device or not and some of the bilevel devices are nothing more than cpap/apap devices with the ability to offer higher pressures over 20 cm or higher differences between inhale and exhale....and no way to know if you even need those features.

If you can get a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto...which is one of the bilevel models from ResMed...go ahead and get it as it will cover most bases....just in case there is a need.
But that model is hard to find and very pricey.

Going by the odds...if you have OSA then the chances of needing bilevel or some specialty high end bilevel are relatively small and the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (or the for Her AutoSet) will be all you need.
Again no way to know for sure without a diagnostic sleep study and actual machine experience.
So we play the odds. The AirSense 10 AutoSet can actually be set to function as a limited bilevel anyway. We often refer to it as the poor mans bipap/bilevel.

BTW....the term bipap is actually a Respiratonics marketing term for model name of the Respirionics bilevel models.
Other brand use different marketing terms like ResMed uses AirCurve 10 to denote their bilevel devices.
I prefer to use the term bilevel to denote the machines that offer 2 distinct pressures...one for inhale and one for exhale which is all bilevel really is.

Please be very careful if you go shopping and find a bilevel model machine because not all bilevel models are the same and not all are designed for plain OSA. Some are designed for very specific respiratory issues and actually don't fight OSA all that well.

So target these 2 models for now because we don't know if you need those higher end machines and the odds are you won't need them unless you have some sort of respiratory issue or central sleep apnea vs obstructive sleep apnea.
It's about the best you can do with going down the DIY road.

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet or the AutoSet for Her model
ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto....if you can find it and price is within budget...you may not need the extra features it has but it doesn't hurt to have them available just in case. I use this model myself but not so much because I need it but because I like the extra feature of more difference between inhale and exhale....but I can still successfully use the AirSense 10 AutoSet if I need to and in fact that is my back up machine sitting in my closet in case my AirCurve 10 fails.

If you can normally breathe through your nose during the day without a problem...go with a nasal interface mask to start with. Easier to get and maintain the seal and less stuff on your face to annoy you.
If you have chronic nasal congestion issues where you just have to breathe through your mouth often to move enough air then go with a full face mask to start with.

You have to start somewhere and the mask journey is sometimes the hardest part to all this cpap stuff.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:56 am

If anybody has mentioned Dreamstation to you, slap them silly, please.
Their existing line has been recalled, due to using toxic materials in production.
The newest models have been encoded, preventing patient review of data.
Basically, it appears that Respironics does not respect cpap patients.
I would not even recommend that brand to my worst enemy.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:49 pm

Bujiba wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:28 am
Resmed. Though I am confused by the various models. And what to try first. Maybe I need a bipap?
Here's a list of resmed models:
https://www.cpaptalk.com/wiki/index.php/CPAP_models

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Bujiba

Post by Bujiba » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:31 am

Pugsy,

Thanks a lot for the informative post. While I was excited to follow your suggestion, I as disappointed to discover that only the Airsense 10 and the travel version are on offer here. I am wondering if there is any tell-tale sign that a unit is used. My only worry is that I purchase a "new" unit that is actually refurbished. It occurs too often around here.

I kind of assumed that it is going to be a journey to get a mask. When I purchase a unit, do I only need to buy the unit and a mask, or is anything else required? I might go for one of the nose masks first, from Resmed.

Chunkyfrog, thanks for the opinion. I will stay far away from Philips.

Palerider, thanks for the wiki list. I did not come across that when I was skimming the wiki pages.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:35 am

Bujiba wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:31 am
When I purchase a unit, do I only need to buy the unit and a mask, or is anything else required?
The basics are the machine, mask and long hose to attach the machine to the mask.
Most machine purchases will include the long hose....either a heated hose or non heated hose.
Anything else would be incidentals that a need arises for....may or may not be needed.

The only way for us to check for prior usage is to look at the machine run hours...which are different from therapy hours.
Run hours cannot be reset except at the ResMed factory level. Therapy hours are easily reset.
Explained in the manual.
https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bujiba

Post by Bujiba » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:15 am

Pugsy,

Thanks for the info. After I had read your reply I was ready to pull the trigger over the weekend. I couldn't settle on a mask or determine if the machine came with a hose. I hope to be able to figure everything out this week. Deciding on a first mask isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

I'll be sure to check the run hours as soon as I take delivery.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 am

Bujiba wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:15 am
I couldn't settle on a mask
Here are some tips ------->
ChicagoGranny wrote:
How to Choose an Initial CPAP Mask for Newbies

1. If you had a sleep lab titration and liked the mask that was used, and that mask was recommended by your medical team, then go for it.

2. If not 1., then did your medical team recommend a nasal mask or a full face mask (FFM)? For many people, nasal masks are easier to use assuming they don't mouthbreathe, leak air out the mouth or get air inflating the cheeks while using CPAP during sleep. If you have any of these problems, you may need to use a FFM. (Despite what you may see in the forum, there are many of us that find FFMs are easy to use, do not leak and are not uncomfortable.)

3. Once you have decided whether you need to start with a nasal mask or a FFM mask, begin looking at the mask descriptions and images at https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php . This is the website of this forum's host.

4. For a newbie, you should select a popular mask that gets high rankings from the reviews. Some people in this forum get excellent usage out of masks that are not popular and do not get good reviews. They might rave about the mask to you. But for a newbie, you want to start with a popular mask with high rankings. After you get some experience, you can experiment with masks that pique your fancy but are not so popular.

5. Once you have a category (nasal or FFM) of masks selected, you can go to that category on CPAP dot com's web page and sort by Biggest Sellers and then by Rating. You can check the ratings and read reviews.

6. When you receive your mask and machine, you should watch the mask manufacturer's videos (On CPAP dot com's web page) for instructions on use and adjustments.

7. If you have any problems using the mask, please start a new thread here and ask for help.

8. It's not unusual to try different masks before settling on one that works well for you. If you find yourself buying a fourth or fifth different mask, the problem may be with the way you are trying to use the masks, instead of the mask itself. Please get help from the experienced forum members.

- ChicagoGranny
Note: If you don't think you mouth-breathe, it's a good idea to start with a nasal-only interface.

Bujiba

Post by Bujiba » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:30 am

Thank you for the tips. I still haven't decided, but I think I am getting closer to a decision.

Bujiba

Post by Bujiba » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:34 am

It's been over a year since I made the above inquiry about testing out CPAP on my own. I don't recall why I was derailed from the plan. A few months later, I found myself being passed around from department to department at the university dental hospital with a few issues. One of those trips was for gingival pain treatment. The professor treating me noted the damage from clenching and grinding and asked me about my sleep. Of course I told her that I thought I had apnea, but hadn't had a sleep study done. She mentioned that resolving the apnea often reduces the clenching and grinding and referred me to the ENT deparment. The sleep study revealed mild to moderate apnea. I was initially advised for a MAD, but I ended up with a Resmed Autoset 10 and an N20 mask. I have been using it for 2 weeks. The first few nights my AHI was in the 1 and 2 range, but It has been progressively increasing. Now its in the 10 range. My pressure is set from 5 to 12. Since I am being treated at the main university hospital in Seoul, I have to wait for 3 months for my follow up appointment. \

That's too long for me to wait to make changes so I am back here to ask for help. I am waiting for a card reader and then I will figure out how to upload the data.

I find that the mask I am using is maybe not the best for me. The pressure collapses my nostrils if my mouth is opened. Sometimes the mask pinches my nostrils and closes one when I am on my side. I know I have mouth leaks, but I think they may be getting better with the tongue trick. I also have a tendency to drape my arms over my face so I cover the exhaust and it wakes me, not good for CO2 levels as well. I am thinking about trying the p30i due to the form factor possibly correcting these issues.

I have been referred to a surgeon for my collapsing nostrils. If I decide to proceed, it will be at least a year's wait. I am hoping a nasal pillow (not the cradle type will help).

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:48 am

Surgery is rarely a good solution, except for the surgeon and his broker.
Try to avoid that.