First Time Autoset User Finding Pressure Max Every Night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: First Time Autoset User Finding Pressure Max Every Night

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:32 pm

Iamstumped wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:53 am
So, we are both in agreement
No, you're simply WRONG.

Please stop.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:34 pm

Skyking wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:59 am
I do note my AHI is always below 3…and usually below 2. I sure hope setting the max at 20 doesn’t come back at 19.9 tomorrow morning. :shock:
If your machine is going up to the max you have set, then your minimum is almost *certainly* set too low, (one of the hazards of constant pressure, your needs change over time, indeed they change during the course of one night.
Skyking wrote:
With the new machine the past three nights I haven’t needed a single nap during the day,
Resmed autoset's are really nice machines :D
Skyking wrote:
so maybe I’ve needed the higher pressure all along or at least for some time now.
That would be my guess...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:39 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:11 pm
Skyking wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:12 am

I will have to look into that software. I downloaded something from Resmed and there’s this Australian fella who has a YouTube channel and website called SleepHQ and I uploaded the data card info.
take a look at the bottom of the posts from user iamstumped. he has links for the oscar software and links for hints on what the forum would like to see. when you are ready, post the charts right here, in this thread. if you have any difficulty, we can help.

oh and btw? when you get a moment, would you fill out your equipment in your profile? once you do that, it will appear at the bottom of each of your posts, as mine does below.

good luck!
You've got an extra quote=zonker, delete the last one, also iamstumped has nothing useful.. give 'em this link instead:
wiki/index.php/Oscar:organize (just click on the wiki button and type 'oscar') :)

Last edited by palerider on Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:43 pm

Skyking wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:11 pm
I guess a bigger issue after thinking about it, what happens tonight if I set max pressure at 20 and in the morning the 95% is 19.9? Then what do you do? How can you increase the pressure beyond 20? I’ll give everyone an update tomorrow morning.
Then we start raising your min pressure till we get it up to where it needs to be, and the machine keeps you from getting unstable and needing way higher pressures...

I don't have an explanation as to why it happens (rubicon?) but we've seen this happen before, when the starting pressure is considerably too low, your breathing won't stabilize and won't settle down before the machine raises pressure higher than it would with higher starting pressure.

Skyking

Post by Skyking » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:05 pm

“Then we start raising your min pressure till we get it up to where it needs to be, and the machine keeps you from getting unstable and needing way higher pressures...”

Thank you…now that’s helpful. I’ll raise it to 10 as a minimum for tonight with 20 as max and see what I get. I do feel much better already. All these years and not realizing I wasn’t getting the benefit.

When I pull the hose off to use the bathroom that ramp starts at 4 and lasts WAY too long. That setting will change to just off. The old machine just put the mask on and give you the full force…of course it was only 7 but I did fine with that.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:23 pm

Skyking wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:11 pm

I guess a bigger issue after thinking about it, what happens tonight if I set max pressure at 20 and in the morning the 95% is 19.9? Then what do you do? How can you increase the pressure beyond 20? I’ll give everyone an update tomorrow morning.
won't know until we see some oscar charts.

oh and thanks for filling in your equipment. makes it much easier for anyone choosing to comment.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:25 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:39 pm

You've got an extra quote=zonker, delete the last one, also iamstumped has nothing useful.. give 'em this link instead:
wiki/index.php/Oscar:organize (just click on the wiki button and type 'oscar') :)
thank you, sir. dunno WHY that happens every know and then. prolly me being in a hurry.

oh and for others reading along, this is how you react when someone points out something to you. you say thank you and move on.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:37 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:25 pm
palerider wrote:

thank you, sir. dunno WHY that happens every know and then. prolly me being in a hurry.

oh and for others reading along, this is how you react when someone points out something to you. you say thank you and move on.
Oopsie, I MEANT to PM that to you. :oops:

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:42 pm

Skyking wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:05 pm
Thank you…now that’s helpful.
Feel like telling some of the haters that I'm being helpful? maybe you shouldn't, they might have a heart attack... on third thought, tell 'em :lol: :lol: :lol:
Skyking wrote:
I’ll raise it to 10 as a minimum for tonight with 20 as max and see what I get. I do feel much better already. All these years and not realizing I wasn’t getting the benefit.
That's one of the perils of giving someone a CPAP and leaving them to their own devices, unless one checks their data fairly regularly, their needs change, but the machine doesn't.

When I was on a fixed pressure machine, I got lazy about checking my data, and realized after a while that I wasn't feeling as good as I did previously, I pulled the data, and my AHI had been steadily going up for the last month... That was what made me go out and get an auto machine, so it could adjust to my changing needs.
Skyking wrote:
When I pull the hose off to use the bathroom that ramp starts at 4 and lasts WAY too long. That setting will change to just off. The old machine just put the mask on and give you the full force…of course it was only 7 but I did fine with that.
Many people decide that they don't need ramp after they've gotten used to breathing with a machine. Nothing unusual with that :)

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:43 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:37 pm
zonker wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:25 pm
palerider wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

now, what you want to do in that case is, see that "Contact:" below my picture?
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:15 pm

Skyking wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:12 am
zonker wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:04 am
Skyking wrote:

With the new machine the past three nights I haven’t needed a single nap during the day, so maybe I’ve needed the higher pressure all along or at least for some time now.
that's a good sign. we'd know for sure if you posted some oscar charts, though.

good luck!
I will have to look into that software. I downloaded something from Resmed and there’s this Australian fella who has a YouTube channel and website called SleepHQ and I uploaded the data card info.
once you upload on sleephq you find the day you want to look at onscreen and to the right of the date top center strip is three dots and share option to help you obtain a link for posting. I find it easy to use but it can be incomplete data at time.

But it works way better than not being able to figure out how to post anything at all.

ymmv

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:29 am

zonker wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:43 pm
palerider wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:37 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

now, what you want to do in that case is, see that "Contact:" below my picture?
Oh! is that how it works, thank you :)

Skyking

Post by Skyking » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:25 am

OK…it maxed out again at 19.9 with a higher AHI than I’ve ever seen at 3.2…and more importantly I don’t feel as good. The pressure that high doesn’t feel great either to me anyway. If there’s even the slightest leak…wow it’s loud. I will try to upload something later this morning for y’all to look at but now wondering if I need another complete sleep study to get the number right.

Are there experts…not just these tech people who know the machines and equipment but is it common to have physicians who are experts in analyzing sleep data? I recall years ago selling an airplane to a doctor in Montana I believe, who talked constantly about sleep being the be-all end-all in his studies, but sadly really wasn’t listening.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:55 am

Skyking wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:25 am
OK…it maxed out again at 19.9 with a higher AHI than I’ve ever seen at 3.2…and more importantly I don’t feel as good. The pressure that high doesn’t feel great either to me anyway. If there’s even the slightest leak…wow it’s loud. I will try to upload something later this morning for y’all to look at but now wondering if I need another complete sleep study to get the number right.

Are there experts…not just these tech people who know the machines and equipment but is it common to have physicians who are experts in analyzing sleep data? I recall years ago selling an airplane to a doctor in Montana I believe, who talked constantly about sleep being the be-all end-all in his studies, but sadly really wasn’t listening.
A sleep study won't help get the pressures right.

Looking at the graphs, is what's used to optimize pressures. Simply put, Drs don't/rarely do that.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:10 am

Skyking wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:45 am

First night it was set at 11, second night 13 and last night 15. Should I just go ahead and set it at 20 and let it maxed out? Am I missing something? I just find it mystifying that as I increase the pressure it always reaches it 95% of the time. I have kept the minimum at 7.
Yes, you're missing the meaning of the 95th percentile. It means you spent 95% of your time at that pressure or lower than that
Skyking wrote:
OK…it maxed out again at 19.9 with a higher AHI than I’ve ever seen at 3.2…and more importantly I don’t feel as good.
Assuming you put min at 10 - this could mean 10 is too high a minimum.
Take your minimum back to where you felt best and post the charts.

The quality of your sleep, and how you feel the next day are indeed the most important.
Skyking wrote:
Are there experts…not just these tech people who know the machines and equipment but is it common to have physicians who are experts in analyzing sleep data?
The important info for you and for anyone trying to help you is in the graphs that show how the machine is responding to your individual breathing patterns, what time of breathing disruptions appear while you sleep - etc. Those of us taking time to understand how the machine is responding to out breathing have a better chance of getting good therapy.

An auto algorithm on CPAP machines is not infallible - same as auto pilots on planes, that have been known to cause fatal accidents on both Boeing (the 737 MAX, twice recently) and Airbus (Air France 447 in 2009).

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023