Newb needs help. Exhaling issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Brad S

Re: Newb needs help. Exhaling issues

Post by Brad S » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:46 am

lynninnj wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:46 pm
After dinner I set up the coffee maker and the cpap. Water, hose, all of it. Then I chill for tv. Maybe get that done first so you don’t have to wake up so to speak to get it ready.
Maybe trim those shnoz hairs early too. lol
Great idea... I will try that tonight and see if that helps. It's weird though, all of this prep to go to sleep. Something I have never had to do. I guess none of us have had to do before the Rise Of The Machines. When it was time for bed, I would, well, just go to sleep. None of this nonsense of getting prepared to get ready for bed.
We do have a nightly routine that happens about an hour before bed. I will try to add all of this to that list. It is intimidating in a way, all of this stuff to get ready to go to sleep. It makes me anxious wondering how I will sleep, how long I will sleep etc. I still fall right to sleep but it is always there... Can I breathe, self analyzing if I am actually asleep as I am asleep or in that SWJ stage. The brain is a very weird thing. I did this a lot last night. I think I was asleep but I was wondering if I was asleep, while I was sleeping. Looking at Oscar, I was asleep- or in some form of sleep. I did keep my mask on last night during one of these wondering periods. I would typically feel that way and take the mask off. In some way I was able to realize, or at least tell myself while I was wondering if I was asleep to keep the mask on, even if I wasn't asleep... While I was sleeping. Or something like that. I can't even begin to describe what my brain does while I am asleep. I am not there and it is out riding a roller coaster somewhere or recalling that perfect wave I caught once. I am not responsible for what my brain does while I am asleep! :)

lynninnj wrote:
Hopefully you had a fabulous day.
Fabulous? I had a really good day. Working on fabulous.
lynninnj wrote:
I too am chasing the sleep high so to speak.
It did feel good yesterday. I would not go as far as a sleep high just yet but I am working on it.
You seem to be doing really good in your journey. I always look for your posts to see how you are doing.
I hope you have a great weekend. It is cold and rainy here. High of 49° today. Fall is coming. I love it! Opened the bedroom window last night- great sleeping weather- Now if I could only sleep all night! ROFL.

Angry much?

Brad S

Saturday

Post by Brad S » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:06 am

Last night I repeated everything I did the night before in hopes of recreating the apparently un-recreatable. Like a dog chasing it's tail, but if Thursday nights get ready for bed routine worked, doing exactly the same Friday night would have to work, right? HA! It only confirms what Pugsy said. Not that I doubted it, just desperately grasping at any form of success.
Last night wasn't too bad but it was not the sleep quality of Thursday night. I am using oscar as one way to reference the two nights but in all actuality I am saying this based on how I feel. Yesterday I felt really good. (Not fabulous :lol: ) but really good.
This morning I am foggy and groggy. The old F&G. Not too terrible but not nearly as good as yesterday.
Two sleeps last night. First was great but I drank too much Gatorade last night and had to get up to go to the bathroom and I think this had an effect on the rest of the night. Duh. Fell asleep sitting up for a little while and then put the mask back on. Second sleep was weird. Kept asking myself if I was asleep but I worked through the weirdness and kept the mask on when I would usually take it off.
Any way- another sleep tonight and another chance to feel better. I am taking Lynninnj's advice and getting the trimming, brushing, coffee, water, hose, etc. done earlier in the evening so I can try to focus only on going to sleep at bed time.
Hope everyone is having a great Saturday.

https://sleephq.com/public/9b1ed1ef-cbe ... 9df6926749

Angry much?

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:22 am

Dude, are you high?

jk lol

traveled to massachusetts for wedding and 2 nights stay. lousy sleep. who puts a smoke alarm with a light just above the bed? didn’t help that US open tennis was great match and stayed up late.

First time traveling with pap and I smell scented cleaners thru my elephant nose. ick

Like pugsy said. Good and bad days but i think we both need to take some of the mental pressure off ourselves and just sleep

Wedding time! have a good one.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Brad S

Post by Brad S » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:44 am

lynninnj wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:22 am
Dude, are you high?
Nope- quit in 1980 when my daughter was on the way. The only other time was riding in the back of my best friends pickup truck on the way to the Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge concert on Halloween in Oakland in 1994. The Stones on Halloween- it doesn't get any better than that.
lynninnj wrote:
traveled to massachusetts for wedding and 2 nights stay. lousy sleep. who puts a smoke alarm with a light just above the bed?
Only someone who doesn't sleep in that room.
Did you sleep any better for the rest of the trip? Did you have any issues traveling with the equipment?
lynninnj wrote:
First time traveling with pap and I smell scented cleaners thru my elephant nose. ick
How did you fix that?
lynninnj wrote:
Like pugsy said. Good and bad days but i think we both need to take some of the mental pressure off ourselves and just sleep
I am trying just that, focusing on sleep rather than numbers. I still look every morning. My AHI is really low but I still wake up a couple of times a night. I need to figure out how to sleep through the night.
Are you doing any better?

From your post on another thread...
This is exactly what caused my wifes pulmonary hypertension and right side heart failure.
This apnea thing is no joke. It makes me wonder, how many people really have this and have no idea? Does everyone have it in one form or another? Craziness!
lynninnj wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:12 pm
I sat next to an anesthesiologist nurse at a wedding this weekend and asked about impact sleep apnea has when she’s doing her job on a patient with OSA.
She told me that after just a few years of having untreated sleep apnea a greatly increases your risk of pulmonary hypertension and right sided heart failure.

Angry much?

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:59 am

Ahhhh the stones....the obligatory smoking on the way to the concert.....

We drove to Mass so no probs. I had to disconnect the telephone out of the wall to make room on the side table for it but was good otherwise. We put a bandaid over the lighted smoke alarm and it dulled it a bit. I got a pretty decent night of sleep numberswise after a night of dancing and mingling and getting in very late from the wedding.

Feeling pretty wiped out. Partially because of not having usual access to nutritional foods and drinking as much water as I should due to the long car rides. I mean, the hors were devine and the dinner was delish but I dont need all the salt and sweets.I got a really good night last night. The mythical sasquatch and only one trip to the bathroom about five plus hours into the night, with only 7 sleep interruptions and I feel decent for the most part but the dietary and water intake really messed me up. Hope to recover soon. I also got a pretty similarly good sleep the night before that but with all the other stuff going on, its hard to tell.

Trying not to obsess about numbers is not always that easy but just the fact that you are getting through longer periods is great news.

Someone posted a very poor NEJM study about apnea in mostly guys with hx of established heart disease who are noncompliant with their cpap. I mean, they get less masked sleep than you did did for the first six weeks I think (3.3 hours per night iirc?) and they wonder why "cpap shows no significant improvement". But interestingly it says maybe only 1 in 5 are properly diagnosed with OSA. Hard to give it much creedence given how shoddy the study was but maybe that is a proper number tha tsomeone else came up with.

All I can say is I feel soooo much better, especially after a single digit interruption kind of night with around 2 minutes or less spent in apnea. Going to keep chasing that dream and maybe I can find that state on a regular basis.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Brad S

Just my morning rant

Post by Brad S » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:46 am

It is really funny how this cpap stuff works. Went from so much better sleep to the last two nights of this...
Tuesday night. ZERO on the AHI and leak is under control but now I just can't stay asleep.

Last night...
The middle sleep was the only sleep of the night. The first one as I was dozing off I felt I couldn't breath and freaked out. The last was just laying there, not able to sleep so I put the mask back on.... Couldn't breathe very well and restless. Got up and started working. I need sleep.

I have been wearing the cervical collar every night and I believe.... based only on low AHI numbers and my own stoopid head, it is working. Last night I put it on and when I couldn't breathe, I took it off and left it off for the night. My AHI went up but not too terribly. So I am going to stick with the thought that it works based on 2 hours of sleep with a raised AHI, really scientific. Nothing at all.

That is what is so frustrating about this stuff. Do the same thing every night, get in a pattern and it seems to work. Then it doesn't. All I know is I am back to zombie mode and I feel worse than I did before starting therapy. Now, not only am I tired but I have to deal with all of this. Before therapy, when I wasn't fighting the not breathing thing, I at least slept good. Felt like crap then too, but it was different.

I really don't want to go down the sleeping pill road. I tried melatonin one time last March- It literally kicked my butt. It was only one 3 mg pill. I think I had an out of body experience! I could see myself lying in bed, I felt like I was awake but I couldn't move and I thought that this is what is like to be dead. It felt like it lasted for hours. When I finally woke up I was seriously relieved and out of it all day. Seriously weird stuff. I am sure my body was just so depleted that it reacted this way. All I know is I don't want to go there again.
Not really asking for anything here. Just posting my thoughts because I am having trouble remembering what works and what doesn't if I don't.

Angry much?

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:45 am

Been wondering how you have been doing.

I have been paying closer attention to the position of my head when I lay down. If my chin is up I seem to sleep better? my habit is to have my chin down closer to my chest. But I thought about your cervical collar and have been trying to at leasdoze with chin up.

Maybe this will help you find the awesome sauce again?

Feel better soon.

Edit: I sometimes use these. It’s mild and maybe it will help. Non-melatonin. Bach RESCUE SLEEP Liquid Melts, Natural Orange Vanilla Flavor, Natural Sleep Aid, Stress Relief, Homeopathic Flower Remedy, Melatonin Free, Gluten and Sugar-Free, Non-alcohol, Non-Narcotic, 28 Count https://a.co/d/0LfpX9m

Brad S

Post by Brad S » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:08 am

lynninnj wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:45 am
I have been paying closer attention to the position of my head when I lay down. If my chin is up I seem to sleep better? my habit is to have my chin down closer to my chest. But I thought about your cervical collar and have been trying to at leasdoze with chin up.
Feel better soon.
Hi Lynn-
I know I probably don't make much sense sometimes with my rambling. I am just so tired and angry and start typing and then just hit send.
I really do believe the cervical collar has really helped me. I started with a 3" which was way too high and held my head too far up and back. Switched to an El Cheapo Chinese 2" collar out of desperation. It is much less soft but I do believe for me, it truly works. My apneas went way down from the first night and have stayed down.
I am on the fence about trying a 2-1/2" collar. I think the 2" may be just a tiny bit too short. (That's what she said) ((Just had to beat the snarks to it)).

I spent $20 for the good 3" that I won't use again and $7 for the cheap internet 2". I don't have a problem spending the money on another good one, but I am just not sure if 2-1/2" will be better. I am cheap and the 2" works but what if the 2-1/2" is better???
"Quite the pickle, Dick"
I know that sounds about as dumb as everything else I say. Sleep quality and comfort are the most important thing. Do I spend $20 on a 2-1/2" and maybe it works? Or just buy a good 2" and spend the rest of my life wondering if the 2-1/2" collar would have been better.
LOL... I am an idiot for sure!
I hope you are having a super fantastic day.

Angry much?

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:44 am

Brad S wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:08 am
lynninnj wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:45 am
Feel better soon.
Hi Lynn-
I know I probably don't make much sense sometimes with my rambling. I am just so tired and angry and start typing and then just hit send.
I really do believe the cervical collar has really helped me. I started with a 3" which was way too high and held my head too far up and back. Switched to an El Cheapo Chinese 2" collar out of desperation. It is much less soft but I do believe for me, it truly works. My apneas went way down from the first night and have stayed down.
I am on the fence about trying a 2-1/2" collar. I think the 2" may be just a tiny bit too short. (That's what she said) ((Just had to beat the snarks to it)).

I spent $20 for the good 3" that I won't use again and $7 for the cheap internet 2". I don't have a problem spending the money on another good one, but I am just not sure if 2-1/2" will be better. I am cheap and the 2" works but what if the 2-1/2" is better???
"Quite the pickle, Dick"
I know that sounds about as dumb as everything else I say. Sleep quality and comfort are the most important thing. Do I spend $20 on a 2-1/2" and maybe it works? Or just buy a good 2" and spend the rest of my life wondering if the 2-1/2" collar would have been better.
LOL... I am an idiot for sure!
I hope you are having a super fantastic day.
Thank you for the great laugh this morning. Lol you make perfect sense. I totally get you.

Maybe one day you will get the 2 1/2 inch collar and your dream will be fulfilled. Or not.

Good luck don’t give up

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:45 am

Brad S wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:08 am
the good 3" that I won't use again
You could cut it down to two and a half inch.

If it works, great.

If it doesn't, you weren't going to use it anyways.
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:34 am

Brad, thank you. I really think this talk about the cervical collar has been extremely helpful!

It was very uncomfy for me to fall asleep with my chin up/head extended at the beginning of the night. But I did doze and I usually stay in place for a long while until I either have to pee or roll over. Last night I made a concerted effort to keep the chin up like you would with your collar. Maybe with the 2" collar you can still add a bit of head extension/chin life when you lay down.

After doing this last night I was THRILLED to report a mere 5 wakeups in over 9 hours in bed with 50 seconds in apnea.

This may be the awesome sauce here Brad! The head position might be the missing link!

I hope you had a recuperative night and are feeling dandy or at least decent today.

Brad S

Post by Brad S » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:01 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:34 am
Brad, thank you. I really think this talk about the cervical collar has been extremely helpful!
Last night I made a concerted effort to keep the chin up like you would with your collar. Maybe with the 2" collar you can still add a bit of head extension/chin life when you lay down.
After doing this last night I was THRILLED to report a mere 5 wakeups in over 9 hours in bed with 50 seconds in apnea.
This may be the awesome sauce here Brad! The head position might be the missing link!
That is fantastic news! Great results too! Sprinkle that awesome sauce everywhere!
I may know someone who has a very slightly used 3" collar they would be willing to send your way.
I actually only used it for an afternoon nap attempt and for a few hours one night. It has a washable sleeve over it that has already been washed. <--- Psycho like that
lynninnj wrote:
I hope you had a recuperative night and are feeling dandy or at least decent today.
I did have a much better night last night and feel pretty good.
I went to town yesterday and bought some Z Quil (I will order some of the Bachs stuff) But I didn't want to wait. I have never used anything to help fall asleep in the past, except melatonin that one time and I really never want to go there again. I don't like watch myself feel dead.
I woke up after 5:34 minutes of sleep and was angry that I woke up. Felt fine. Didn't have to pee. Mask was fine. Was just awake. Got up, walked around for a few. Looked out the windows for a while and tried again. I never set an alarm, because I am always up on time. I had set a reminder on my phone to follow up on something for work for 6:37 and that is what woke me up.
So- it worked. I messed with my pillows and blankets last night and was not as comfortable but I slept!
I will repeat tonight and although I will expect the same or better results who the heck knows what I will get. That's just the whacky world of CPAP.
Happy Friday!!

Angry much?

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:21 pm

Brad S wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:01 pm
lynninnj wrote:
Last night I made a concerted effort to keep the chin up like you would with your collar. Maybe with the 2" collar you can still add a bit of head extension/chin life when you lay down.
That is fantastic news! Great results too! Sprinkle that awesome sauce everywhere!
I may know someone who has a very slightly used 3" collar they would be willing to send your way.
I actually only used it for an afternoon nap attempt and for a few hours one night. It has a washable sleeve over it that has already been washed. <--- Psycho like that
lynninnj wrote:
I did have a much better night last night and feel pretty good.
I went to town yesterday and bought some Z Quil (I will order some of the Bachs stuff) But I didn't want to wait. I have never used anything to help fall asleep in the past, except melatonin that one time and I really never want to go there again. I don't like watch myself feel dead.
I woke up after 5:34 minutes of sleep and was angry that I woke up. Felt fine. Didn't have to pee. Mask was fine. Was just awake. Got up, walked around for a few. Looked out the windows for a while and tried again. I never set an alarm, because I am always up on time. I had set a reminder on my phone to follow up on something for work for 6:37 and that is what woke me up.
So- it worked. I messed with my pillows and blankets last night and was not as comfortable but I slept!
I will repeat tonight and although I will expect the same or better results who the heck knows what I will get. That's just the whacky world of CPAP.
Happy Friday!!
Good thing you set an alarm. I set several because I like to snooze but this might change. Since starting pap when the first alarm goes off I lay still for a bit with the machine and mask off and get up at the next alarm. But sometimes if I wake up earlier I feel completely rested and I feel pretty good all day. I have had a few early morning things I have had to do and no sense of dread about getting up early.

I really hadn't been able to figure out if the masks were getting "old" and needed changing (after a week, which seemed excessive). I may pull out some of the older masks to put them back into rotation.

Now, I feel like the missing variable was head and neck position.

I am glad to be getting more consistent nights of sleep and hope you do too.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:32 am

I am growing more convinced that the chin up when I lay down for sleep is the difference maker wrt AHI. I was at .83 for a whopping 7 events charted last night.

The only problem I had was that the last few nights I actually think my head wanted to move around and pressure was put on the straps when doing so, causing them to bunch up at my temples. This never feels good with TMJ.

I will probably pull out one of the other older cushions after giving this some more use, to be sure that they aren't getting worn out so to speak.

I hope you were able to get caught up yourself on some much needed sleep and hopefully a pleasant day ahead.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:23 am

Brad S wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:01 pm
Brad, how goes it?

I am learning I can tell the whether I had my chin up or not that my numbers will be crap and I feel like crap on a chin down night.

How is your battle?

I usually look for this thread because I am wondering how you are doing.

Come on, dish! (Hopefully some good news in there.)