Newb needs help. Exhaling issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Brad S

Re: Newb needs help. Exhaling issues

Post by Brad S » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:06 pm

Iamstumped wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:11 pm
Are you having problems inhaling, or are your problems exhaling?
Generally, always exhaling. Most nights when I go to sleep it is almost effortless to inhale/exhale but then 30 minutes to 2 hours later, I jolt awake and have a very difficult time breathing out and then it can seem slightly harder to breathe in at that time.
Last night, using the F30 it seemed breathing in was about 50% deeper than normal. Very deep breaths in. I feel fine today. No lasting effects from pacing the house for an hour last night to breathe.

Angry much?

joepublic23

Post by joepublic23 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:35 pm

Don’t feel bad struggling with this, I have been trying for over 2 months now and only managed to fall asleep using the CPAP once, and I had to drug myself with Benadryl to make that happen. I am amazed that anyone can fall asleep (without heavy sedation) with a mask on. The harsh reality is that there is no good treatment for sleep apnea.

FWIIW I found exhaling to be easier when I switched from a nose mask to a full face mask, but that is less comfortable of course. The full mask leaked a lot, so it was as loud as my snoring. I switched to another mask which leaks less but is even more uncomfortable. I am going to try sleeping pills later this month, I hope, before I throw in the towel.

Brad S

Post by Brad S » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:11 pm

joepublic23 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:35 pm
Don’t feel bad struggling with this, I have been trying for over 2 months now and only managed to fall asleep using the CPAP once, and I had to drug myself with Benadryl to make that happen. .
I am going to try sleeping pills later this month, I hope, before I throw in the towel.
I am sorry you are having such a problem too. It sucks bad. I am probably going to have a few drinks tonight to see if it knocks the edge off and lets me relax enough to sleep. I know so many people who love their CPAP. Of all of them I only know one person who couldn't do this. My wife loves her CPAP and wishes she could wear it all day because of how well she can breathe and how much better she feels.
All I hear from everyone who has a machine is "you are going to love it" Well, so far, I hate it but I am going to hang on and do everything I can to make it work. I hope somehow you can figure it out as well.

One of the things that is pushing me to stick with this is my wife. June of 2020 in the height of the well, you know, the thing, she was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension, and we spent 8 days together in the hospital. We have been together 45 years and there was no way I was not going to be with her. Hers was caused by years of severe and untreated sleep apnea. It only took her a few nights to get used to and settle into the treatment. Me, well I feel like I am wrestling an octopus every night, and I don't like octopi!

Thank you for your reply and words of encouragement.
Don't give up Joe. We will both figure out a way get through this.

Angry much?

joepublic23

Post by joepublic23 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:42 pm

I know lots of people love their CPAPs, but the majority quit within the first year. When I was prescribed the machine I told Doctor and the people at the DME that I seriously doubted my ability to fall asleep with one since I can’t fall asleep if I am wearing my wedding ring or a watch or if I am upset or if the room is too warm or too light, etc. They didn’t seem to believe me and told me I would get used to it. I haven’t. They saw my non-compliance and got me a follow appointment at a sooner date. Then they tried to schedule me for a second sleep study to do a titration but I declined for now, since there is no point if I can’t fall asleep. I will try a melatonin tonight. I am seeing the MD on 8/11 to work on desensitization techniques. Hopefully they will help.

In terms of cost benefit analysis I am extremely high cost due to my difficulty falling asleep. In terms of benefits my AHI is only 6.4 so the health impact of non-treatment should be limited, but I don’t want to sleep alone.

lynninnj

Re: New question

Post by lynninnj » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:37 pm

Brad S wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:23 pm
I am curious and please forgive my ignorance.
I have my heated tube on my AirSense 11 set to off and I still feel like the air in my P10 is very warm breathing in and out through my nose. If I just barely crack the seal on the nasal pillow and breathe in, I feel relief in the cooler room air.
My bedroom is about 68° at night and I put in fresh water in the tank every night in hopes to keep it cool and not sitting in the tank all day. It seems to help a little.
Is it possible to cool my distilled water in the fridge? How about a distilled water ice cube?
According to OSCAR I have averaged 2:54 per night since starting on July 21.
I may be the Village Idiot here, but I am trying very hard every night and need to figure this out.
Thank you.
I could be mistaken but pulling the seal on the pillow is probably not thing to do to make this thing work for you?

You might find that the n30 it’s very easy to use and comfortable, I hope. I just tried the P 10 and I didn’t care for the way I felt in my nose.

It’s my understanding that everything has to be a close system. If you’re leaving the mask open then the machine is going to pump harder and that might be making it harder for you to breathe out? Someone who knows stuff can correct me if I’m wrong?

After trying the bleep mask and watching the video the dude said you can check the connections were tight by covering up the hose at the bottom and blowing out. When it wasn’t sealed properly the air was leaking. When it was sealed properly the nose gets puffed out.

This is what I do to check my N30 now. I find it very comfortable on the end of my nose but I can also see how It could get knocked loose. If it does it’s very easy to put it back on by just pulling both sides away from the nose at the same time and just putting it back underneath again.

There’s an old saying to the best if my memory.

If you think you can do a thing or if you think you can’t you are right.

The difference in attitude between different posters here is like night and day. I admire your devotion to your lovely wife and the efforts to make this work.

Last edited by lynninnj on Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:43 pm

I think all of us newbies can benefit from this. Even if this isn’t the mask you use. Fast forward five minutes and 50 seconds into the video.

https://youtu.be/L-pRVlAo6Ic

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:17 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:43 pm
Fast forward five minutes and 50 seconds into the video.
Here is a little youtube tip. Instead of copying the URL, hit share, select Start Video At, input the time you want it to start, and click Copy.

Try it ----> https://youtu.be/L-pRVlAo6Ic?t=325

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:59 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:17 pm
lynninnj wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:43 pm
Fast forward five minutes and 50 seconds into the video.
Here is a little youtube tip. Instead of copying the URL, hit share, select Start Video At, input the time you want it to start, and click Copy.

Try it ----> https://youtu.be/L-pRVlAo6Ic?t=325
I don’t see that option granny. Maybe it’s an iPhone thing.

I was thinking about what he was doing with the tube and I would imagine you might be able to find any holes in one of the long tubes as well this way.

Brad S

Post by Brad S » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:56 am

Good morning.
Something very bizarre happened this morning at approximately 05:00:50. My phone said 5:00 and this seems to be the only place the graph is different that matches that time.
I was dozing off and on in restless sleep having the usual issues breathing. Slightly difficult in and harder out when all of a sudden I jolted awake and I can only describe it as everything opened up inside and I could breathe effortlessly in and out. It was such a difference that it freaked me out. I looked at the clock to see what time it was and rolled over. The feeling went away and the breathing became difficult again when I rolled over to my other side. Is there anything that would indicate this in the OSCAR shot below? Or what is happening to me?

Also- Is this accurate? Are all of these events real? I did notice this morning in the OSCAR report that my machine was set for full face mask from last week when I was trying the F30 I am using the P10.
Could this have anything to do with all of this?
As always, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Angry much?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:02 am

Brad S wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:56 am
Also- Is this accurate? Are all of these events real?
None of those events are real asleep events.

These machines only measure air flow...and when awake or half awake our breathing can be very irregular when compared to asleep breathing and the machine can and will flag the irregular breathing as some sort of apnea event.
If you aren't asleep...they mean nothing except you weren't asleep.

And having the wrong mask selected had nothing to do with anything. At the most having the wrong mask selected might affect the leak graph a little bit and that's it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Brad S

Post by Brad S » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:05 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:02 am

Thank you for your reply.
I will figure this out. I don't know how to tell sleep from non-sleep I guess.

Angry much?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:20 am

Brad S wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:05 am
Pugsy wrote:

Pretty sure I have already given you the link to help you figure out arousal/awake breathing flow rate but here it is again.
Watch all the videos.
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software
So lots of hard work on your part is needed.
Bear in mind that while the videos are mainly talking about centrals/Clear Airway apnea flags from arousal/awake breathing that it isn't limited to just false positive central flags. We can have false positives in the OA and hyponea category as well.

Unfortunately while the flow rate graphs can tell us if we were asleep or awake by the breath pattern, it can't tell us what caused the awakening. Sometimes we can see something that might have been the cause but most of the time we won't.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:13 am

Brad S wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:05 am
Pugsy wrote:

How’s it going Brad?

I hope you’re getting used to things.

Brad S

Post by Brad S » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:04 am

lynninnj wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:13 am

How’s it going Brad?

I hope you’re getting used to things.
Hello and thank you for asking.
I will get through this but I am having a difficult time adjusting.
I am averaging just over 2:30 per night. Last night I made it an hour and 20 before I sort of freaked out. For whatever reason, I wake up thinking I can't breathe. I was in a weird place last night I guess. On the verge of a panic attack, I have so many thoughts in my head and I just can't get them to stop some nights. I am usually able to wake up throughout the night and put my mask back on and sleep some more. I don't even realize I am taking it off while I am sleeping. This morning I woke at 5:00 and put my mask on and immediately felt overwhelmed and took it right back off. I think my brain is telling me to breathe and for whatever reason I feel like I am not getting enough air. I know that is not the case I am just having trouble adjusting. I have a oximeter and my levels are 94+ when I am using the machine. My oxygen levels were in the 70's and low 80's during my sleep study. My breathing is slightly labored breathing in and breathing out is even more noticeable. My wife loves her machine and can't understand why I am having trouble breathing.
I use the P10 mask and my doctor prescribed the N30 which is arriving today.
I am very hopeful and willing to keep on trying. I appreciate you checking on me.

How are you doing on your journey? Did you have trouble adjusting?

Angry much?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 am

Brad S wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:04 am
I wake up thinking I can't breathe. I was in a weird place last night I guess. On the verge of a panic attack, I have so many thoughts in my head and I just can't get them to stop some nights. I am usually able to wake up throughout the night and put my mask back on and sleep some more. I don't even realize I am taking it off while I am sleeping. This morning I woke at 5:00 and put my mask on and immediately felt overwhelmed and took it right back off. I think my brain is telling me to breathe and for whatever reason I feel like I am not getting enough air. I know that is not the case
I think you are very likely in the throes of a full fledged panic attack and not necessarily on the verge.
What you are describing sure sounds like a panic attack to me.

Have you tried taping the mask to your face so that if/when you are asleep and the brain is directing mask removal that having the tape on the skin might cause you to wake up and not continued the unwanted behavior?

Have you talked to your doctor about this problem?